Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember someone stating they were painting the rear axle which made me look at the rust on mine. Who has done this and how? Creeper or lift and did you sand the rust off 1st? What type of paint? Am I just being anal? (so to speak).:D

·
Registered
147 Posts
Grabber's your man there. I think he did the whole shhbang on his if I remember right, and it looked great.

If I can ever get my hiney back to the states I'm going to get to it eventually.

Some guys are using a liquid rust remover. I have a can at home, but I can't think of the name of it. I'll send it to you when I get home.

I'm going to attempt to roll mine with an anti rust paint after the rust has been treated, then if it goes good, I'll spray the brake area.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I remember someone stating they were painting the rear axle which made me look at the rust on mine. Who has done this and how? Creeper or lift and did you sand the rust off 1st? What type of paint? Am I just being anal? (so to speak).:D
I used ramps and a product called Master Series. Google it. It works great and performs well in ares that still have some surface rust. Pricey, but a great product. Like a phenolic coating.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Phenolic?

·
Registered
471 Posts
I had my car on stands then used a wire wheel to get the rust off. I used a paint called Cast Blast a color that resembles cast parts. I also did the brake calipers and brackets.

Attachments

·
Registered
765 Posts
I used ramps and a product called Master Series. Google it. It works great and performs well in ares that still have some surface rust. Pricey, but a great product. Like a phenolic coating.
I used the Master Series silver primer and satin black top coat; it is urethane based. Before I applied the paint, I used POR15 Marine Clean to degrease/clean the axle and used POR15 Metal-Ready to remove the rust, and etch the metal. Metal Ready leaves a thin zinc-phosphate coating that inhibits rust formation. The Master series goes on with a brush. The resulting finish I got was not as smooth and uniform as spray painting but satisfactory IMO. For me, it was several days of effort and a PITA.

Most folks just prop the rearend up on Jack-stands.

Here is a picture of the products I used

Here is the finished product.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I like hiding over here.

·
Registered
645 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I wish I could see all this stuff at work....damn goverment computer filters. Yeah I could use the search button but it may not be the lastest info and besides what the hell else do you guy's have to do?:D

·
Registered
645 Posts
I have a two year old at home. In my house
is considered hiding.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I have a two year old at home. In my house
is considered hiding.
I thought you would have outgrown that by now.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts