Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking pretty hard about removing the vinyl stripes and having the stripes painted on my car. Anyone have an estimate as to what this will end up costing?

Also, I'm thinking of changing the stripe color. Wanting to go with either white or red. Alloy stripes are nice, but are a bit understated for my taste. Any thoughts on this? Reasons why I should or shouldn't change the stripe color?

·
Registered
994 Posts
I'm thinking pretty hard about removing the vinyl stripes and having the stripes painted on my car. Anyone have an estimate as to what this will end up costing?

Also, I'm thinking of changing the stripe color. Wanting to go with either white or red. Alloy stripes are nice, but are a bit understated for my taste. Any thoughts on this? Reasons why I should or shouldn't change the stripe color?
Run a search on here, it's been talked about quite a bit. I am having mine painted on, staying with the black tho. hood, roof, trunk, AND side markers, then the entire car re-cleared for $1800.
Body shop here in SE GA. Friend of mine owns it, but I bet we could get the same deals for any travelers.

Oh, forgot, he is also putting subtle Vapor ghost flames coming from my heat extractors in the hood.

·
Banned
1,592 Posts
I think the alloy stripes are the nicest on black....but I LIKE an understated car...my brother has an 07 in black with the stripe delete package...and IMO the car looks so much better in black without stripes.....stealth...lol

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did run a search, nothing turned up that answered my question about cost.

Thanks for the info, I figured it would be 1500 - 2000.

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts

I guess it all depends on what you want. The blk/red really grabbed my attention (& check book) on the show room floor, but there are times I wish it had more of a stealth look. :pimp:

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like a bit of flash on a car, and I think your Red Snake GT500 looks great. My wife is with Melissa though, she likes the understated look.

I'll probably stay with alloy stripes in the end. Thanks for the opinions though! :)

·
Registered
639 Posts
I'll probably stay with alloy stripes in the end.
Definately..Black with the alloy stripes :banana_hitit:

Also a paint job done "right" for stripes is going to be close to the cost for a total repaint, as you will have to reblend every panal on the car.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Definately..Black with the alloy stripes :banana_hitit:

Also a paint job done "right" for stripes is going to be close to the cost for a total repaint, as you will have to reblend every panal on the car.
+1, as i found out from my body shop guy...... but that's ok, he'll redo the entire car.

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
I was wondering if it would look like crap to paint the strips on the hood, deck, spoiler and rear but leave the tape on the front and rear bumpers. Removing the bumpers to paint them separate is a big part of the expense and requires different materials due to flexing. The hood and deck lid would have to be removed for painting and complete clear recoat, but covering up the rest of the car to do the small rear panel and small over the windshield bar on the vert should'nt be that big of an issue in a well ventilated booth.
Doing the roof on a coupe should'nt be that bad either since there is a body line on the sides to blend to. The roof would just be done at the same time as the rear panel, and overspray in the entire booth would be minimal to only paint those two areas. All body seams (from the hood and decklid) would be completely covered since those panels would be done separate, so there should'nt be overspray "leaking" into the engine compartment or trunk area.
I guess the worst case scenario is that if you don't like it when its done you can have the bumpers removed and done at a later date to match up. Its no more work to remove and stripe them 6 months later than it is to do them at the same time. All you lose is a couple of days off the road.
Its just a thought, because I have been dealing with the same decision on my vert. The stick ons look like crap in terms of surface quality. However, I did see a GT coupe the same color as mine (red with black stripes painted on) at a local event. I was impressed at first, but as I looked at it more and more I realized that I missed the contrast of the surface textures between the tape and smooth clear finish. The painted on stripes look much better under the lights, but on the street you kind of expect to see the different surface textures.
More decisions...more mods. Will it ever end?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts