Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone with an 07 - 09 painted their lower rockers, front lip and lower rear bumper to match the car? If so, how did you get rid of the texture? Pics would be appreciated.

·
Moderator Dude!
28,388 Posts
I have painted quite a few parts on my 2011 including the textured front spoiler.

Steps:

Wash thoroughly with a grease cutting dish soap and a brush.
You can scuff lightly with sandpaper to help adhesion.
Spray a light coat of adhesion promoter.
Spray many coats of high-build primer. Sand between coats with 600 grit.
Once smooth, spray 2-3 coats of base color. Wet sand after each with 600 grit.
Spray 2-3 coats of clear. Wet sand after each with 600.
You can just leave the last coat un-sanded, but I continue and wet sand the last coat with 600/1000/2000/3000 then I switch to compounds to polish.

Use the good clear that come in a spray can that has an activator on the bottom. It is hard like OEM clear.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
I would be hesitant to paint the lower front spoiler, even if your car isn't lowered they sit pretty low. Having a freshly painted spoiler fouled by contact with the road transitioning from a driveway or pulling too far forward and touching a paring lot bumper or curb could ruin your day. Otherwise I think it's a great idea.

·
Moderator Dude!
28,388 Posts
The times I have scraped my front splitter didn’t affect the top painted side whatsoever. It just scuffed the bottom.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’m tossed on the idea. I kind of like the black on the bottom on the red car. But then I see this and like it too.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
My car is in now getting some painted body colour (G5), I ordered a set of OEM Ford Rockers from an 09 GT, as they were smooth and not the rough charcoal surface on the 07-09 Shelbys, I figured way less prep to paint the smooth ones and the fit will be perfect.

This MOD is not done yet and may not be for a while, when it is completed I'll go down to my Buddy's shop and take some pics as my 500 will be at my buddy's shop 'till the Spring now, as Snow has arrived.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have a set of 09 smooth rockers if anyone is interested. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
I was pissed Ford painted the rockers on the 13/14's, as they pick up chips really easy.
The rockers on my 11 looked great after ( 7 ) years of ownership.
...................The rockers on my 14 looked like crap after 3 months..
If you paint yours, do yourself a favor & buy a set of Roush side & rear splitters.., Jeager Brothers front stone guards are also a good invertment.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
While I left the front splitter black, I painted the side skirts using smooth finish sideskirts from a Mustang GT. I then had them paint the rear bumper to match the GT/CS style bumpers. In my case the car was in an accident so we used an actual GT/CS bumper that had a smooth line near the rear "diffuser" to allow them to tape it off although the sides still had some minor texture to them. I also used a set of textured black side splitters to tie into the look of the front splitter. To me this kept the car looking more cohesive. I've never been a huge fan of the little front splitter being body color personally.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts