Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just received my 2020 ford shelby gt500 golden ticket carbon fiber track pack mustang. As I was going over the car I could feel a transition line between the factory blue paint and the painted white stripe. As everyone knows that is a $10,000 option. The last thing I expected to feel was a line that separates the two colors. In my mind I thought after spending $10k to have those lines painted on the car the last thing I would expect is to feel the paint line. My question is to those who have the painted stripes on their 2020 shelby gt500 mustang , do you feel the paint line between the two colors on your vehicle?

·
Registered
133 Posts
You feel a line between the colors because the stripes are painted by Penske after Ford paints and clears. Hence the line.

·
Registered
2020 GT500 delivered 10/15/20, 2015 50th GT Conv.,39 Caddy Cp, 67 Caddy conv, 67 Vette roadster.
174 Posts
You feel a line between the colors because the stripes are painted by Penske after Ford paints and clears. Hence the line.
Yes I feel the change, but not like the stick on stripes where you feel the edge.
Lou

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Rapid Red! 2011 Kona Blue/white
35,352 Posts
Yes, the stripes are painted later. The whole panel(s) is not cleared after the stripes. What is left is very minimal if any edge. After polishing my car, I don’t think I have any edge left.

Also, welcome to the forum!

If you are up for introducing yourself and showing us your ride, you’ll find our new member area here:

·
Registered
493 Posts
Yes, the stripes are painted later. The whole panel(s) is not cleared after the stripes. What is left is very minimal if any edge. After polishing my car, I don’t think I have any edge left.
That surprises me. I would expect they would "clear" the entire panel after the stripes. Meaning the hood to the edge, roof panel and trunk and the facias. Otherwise you would have to worry about feathering the clear and a rough edge where the clear was decreased.

Tom

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
35,352 Posts
That surprises me. I would expect they would "clear" the entire panel after the stripes. Meaning the hood to the edge, roof panel and trunk and the facias. Otherwise you would have to worry about feathering the clear and a rough edge where the clear was decreased.

Tom
I am nothing but impressed with the painted stripes. They look fabulous!

Reactions: jrzycobra

·
Premium Member
2013 GT500 and 2020 GT500
4,122 Posts
It seems the quality coming out of Penske is really hit and miss. It just depends on the level of quality control at Penske and the lack of QC at Ford when the car returns to Ford from Penske and the QC is not consistent. With properly applied painted stripes, you shouldn't be able to feel the transition between the stripe and the body paint.

·
Registered
2011 GT500
165 Posts
For 10 grand I would expect them to be cleared. I assumed they would be. I'm not in the market for 2020+ GT500 but if I was, I'd have the car striped once I get it. I can assure you I could get it done for less with better results.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
35,352 Posts
For 10 grand I would expect them to be cleared. I assumed they would be. I'm not in the market for 2020+ GT500 but if I was, I'd have the car striped once I get it. I can assure you I could get it done for less with better results.
The stripes are finished with a clear coat. The entire top side of the car is not recleared though after the stripes are painted. I don’t recall ever feeling an edge when I took delivery and I certainly don’t feel or see an edge now after all of the polishing. The painted stripes are simply amazing. If the OP can feel a transition, might I suggest he hit the car with a DA buffer and some compounds. I spent days polishing my car and love the results!

Could you get painted stripes for less than $10k...? Sure you could! It would not be originally optioned that way though if that matters to you.

·
Registered
2011 GT500
165 Posts
The stripes are finished with a clear coat. The entire top side of the car is not recleared though after the stripes are painted. I don’t recall ever feeling an edge when I took delivery and I certainly don’t feel or see an edge now after all of the polishing. The painted stripes are simply amazing. If the OP can feel a transition, might I suggest he hit the car with a DA buffer and some compounds. I spent days polishing my car and love the results!

Could you get painted stripes for less than $10k...? Sure you could! It would not be originally optioned that way though if that matters to you.

View attachment 208123
My old Camaro had the stripes added about a year after it was originally finished. The panels were completely re-cleared and the stripes were buried in the clear. Ford should have done that. With as little clear as the OEM uses, you can't get too crazy wet sanding.
Hoping that factory painted stripes will add value to the car in the future, I think, is a pipe dream. The GT500 is going to be a depreciating asset for a number of years. I sure wouldn't pay extra for a 5 year old GT500 because it had factory stripes. 20 years from now for all we know gasoline powered cars might be outlawed. Not my concern anyway, I expect to be long gone before that. That fact obviously is a major factor in how I look at things now. Anything I spend money on is is for sure an expense, not an investment, at this point. ;)
20200623_135325.jpg

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
35,352 Posts
My old Camaro had the stripes added about a year after it was originally finished. The panels were completely re-cleared and the stripes were buried in the clear. Ford should have done that. With as little clear as the OEM uses, you can't get too crazy wet sanding.
Hoping that factory painted stripes will add value to the car in the future, I think, is a pipe dream. The GT500 is going to be a depreciating asset for a number of years. I sure wouldn't pay extra for a 5 year old GT500 because it had factory stripes. 20 years from now for all we know gasoline powered cars might be outlawed. Not my concern anyway, I expect to be long gone before that. That fact obviously is a major factor in how I look at things now. Anything I spend money on is is for sure an expense, not an investment, at this point. ;) View attachment 208125
I completely agree the GT500 will depreciate for awhile, but I disagree about the stripes. There were 816 CFTP cars with painted stripes. Those cars will command the highest prices out of the bunch.

·
Registered
2011 GT500
165 Posts
I completely agree the GT500 will depreciate for awhile, but I disagree about the stripes. There were 816 CFTP cars with painted stripes. Those cars will command the highest prices out of the bunch.
I hope you are right for those that intend to sell them down the road and paid the price. But for me, if I really liked the stripes and there were two available. One with and one without, I'd be willing to pay maybe $2,000 extra for the one with stripes knowing I could get the one without done for that price.

For those that have bought the new GT500, you need to hope Ford pulls the plug after 2021. That'll be the only way for the car to retain a significant amount of original purchase price. The Corvette is a perfect example. When the C7 Z06 came out in 2015 people paid a premium to get them for the first year or two. Then they were all over the place and right now you can buy them at 50% of the original sticker. The zr1 is the other example. A grand total of 2900 or so were built. You're gonna pay to buy one. Two reasons, short run and a lot of people despise the C8 so they are willing to pay for the mackdaddy C7.

But you, Tim, have nothing to worry about...... You never sell anything. ;)

Reactions: Norton

·
Premium Member
4,579 Posts
If t
If the numbers play a part of the exclusiveness, there are fewer CFTP cars without painted stripes, 536 I believe. Will be curious to see if the striped cars fetch $10,000 more than the non-stripe cars.

Personally, I prefer to have painted stripes, just not for $10,000.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
35,352 Posts
I hope you are right for those that intend to sell them down the road and paid the price. But for me, if I really liked the stripes and there were two available. One with and one without, I'd be willing to pay maybe $2,000 extra for the one with stripes knowing I could get the one without done for that price.

For those that have bought the new GT500, you need to hope Ford pulls the plug after 2021. That'll be the only way for the car to retain a significant amount of original purchase price. The Corvette is a perfect example. When the C7 Z06 came out in 2015 people paid a premium to get them for the first year or two. Then they were all over the place and right now you can buy them at 50% of the original sticker. The zr1 is the other example. A grand total of 2900 or so were built. You're gonna pay to buy one. Two reasons, short run and a lot of people despise the C8 so they are willing to pay for the mackdaddy C7.

But you, Tim, have nothing to worry about...... You never sell anything. ;)
A pilot friend of mine has bought quite a few Vettes over recent years. He gets the latest/greatest and then trades that in on the next latest/greatest. He always gets hit with huge depreciation on each transaction. From what I’ve seen, the halo Mustangs have held better value than the halo Vettes.
If t

If the numbers play a part of the exclusiveness, there are fewer CFTP cars without painted stripes, 536 I believe. Will be curious to see if the striped cars fetch $10,000 more than the non-stripe cars.

Personally, I prefer to have painted stripes, just not for $10,000.
I highly doubt a painted stripe car will fetch $10k above a non painted stripe car in the used market Bob, but we shall see.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
35,352 Posts
For those that have bought the new GT500, you need to hope Ford pulls the plug after 2021. That'll be the only way for the car to retain a significant amount of original purchase price.
Forgot to reply to this Tim. The current GT500 is expected to be a 3 year run (20/21/22). Expect about 15k to 18k total cars. What happens with values depends on what Ford does next with the Mustang. I suspect we are currently looking at the pinnacle of the ICE Mustang performance. If the Mustang is going electric, values will most likely stay strong for the S550 GT500. If Ford unleashes an even crazier ICE Mustang on the S650 platform, values will most likely soften.

Reactions: 03reptile

·
Registered
87 Posts
If I can't give the 2020 GT away, I think I will have painted stripes added by my local paint guy, who has done the paint on some of my 100k+ builds. In talking with him $2500 or so can get stripes, buried in clear that will look better than factory. Not sure if that will hurt or help when the car gets traded or sold.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
35,352 Posts
If I can't give the 2020 GT away, I think I will have painted stripes added by my local paint guy, who has done the paint on some of my 100k+ builds. In talking with him $2500 or so can get stripes, buried in clear that will look better than factory. Not sure if that will hurt or help when the car gets traded or sold.
Sounds like a great option.

I’m not so sure they will look “better than factory” as mine look perfect to me.

Reactions: TomLake

·
Registered
87 Posts
Thats the body guy talking. I do know his paint work is light years better than factory work, but thats what aftermarket paint correction is all about I guess. And for 10k, those stripes had damn well better be perfect!!

·
Registered
311 Posts
That's disappointing to me just on a personal level. I thought the 10k price for stripes was.... outrageous? But I also feel the GT500 in general has kind of lost it's way in pricing?

One of the things about the Mustang was it was an affordable car with big performance. It didn't have all of the refinements of a BMW, Corvette, etc. but it had performance.

I doubt I'll ever drive a new GT500 which is kind of sad in a way, but also I don't know how much of the GT500 remains at this point.

Reminds me of a conversation about a Ferrari 488 I just read. Guy asks what he thinks about his new Ferrari. "It's a wonderful car, great performance and really impressive technology... but if you took the Ferrari badge off of it I wouldn't know it was a Ferrari."

My '07 basically will kill me if I step on the gas too hard. It has no traction control really to speak of and is about as primitive as you can get.

The 2020 is light years away from that car... but it has no stick shift, and so much technology that probably anyone could buy one and drive the hell out of it the first day and not experience a single hiccup because of all the tech it now employs.

I don't know.. I'll stop my speech now... wasn't meant to offend just really disappointing to me that they would have a car that's already 100k and then another 10k on top for stripes that aren't painted at the factory.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts