Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2020 GT500 / 2016 GT350
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys have any advice or tips on how to maintain the paint of these cars? Between the 350 and the 500 I can’t get over how easily the paint chips. Or maybe I’m just unlucky?

·
Premium Member
KEN (#1) 2008 Metalic Vista Blue Convertible Stripe Delete w/some Stripes
5,948 Posts
WoW !!!!

Mine being an '08, 14 years+ old doesn't have any chip like that and I have driven to Jeff City for SF near every year I have had it. That is nearly a 3000 mile total trip mostly on Hiways at Speed... And I live on a gravel road !

Not sure if the 'finish' on it has made a difference or not but I would make a guess that there is 14-15 coats of polished Liquid Glass. But, that has become very difficult to get, being it isn't manufactured any longer... I did purchase several cans of it when I first heard it was going out of Manufacture...
Good luck in your search.

·
Premium Member
2020 Shelby GT500 base + handling pack
517 Posts
yeah wow that's severe.
I do think Ford's pain has gotten more brittle over the years -- I know my '13 picked up a lot more hood chips than any car I had before.

I'm a firm believer in PPF - I wish I could have afforded to do the whole car lol...
I think ceramic coating gives a little (very little, just another layer) protection.

·
Premium Member
2014 GT500 Ruby Red
434 Posts
Brother, that looks like a dipshit parked next to you and their kid banged the back door into your car not once, but twice!

·
Registered
2020 GT500 / 2016 GT350
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Brother, that looks like a dipshit parked next to you and their kid banged the back door into your car not once, but twice!
It’s tough to say because I have another chip on the pillar front side window.
I also have this on my GT350 so I’m trying to prevent further damage for what seems a delicate paint job.

·
Premium Member
2014 GT500 Ruby Red
434 Posts
You live in area with a lot of road rock debris?

·
Registered
2020 GT500 Oxford White / Fully Loaded
127 Posts
I typically have my cars wrapped with XPEL, it is expensive but does an excellent job. Looking at your pictures, those are some sizable rocks that are hitting your car, I would guess at least 1/4 in diameter...ouch! At a minimum, make sure you get those touched to avoid further damage/peeling.

In addition to the XPEL, I use Liquid Glass (yes, it is no longer made but you can still find them on ebay/Amazon) It is a wax that forms a clear shield and can help protect against small rocks, sun, and dirt. I've been using that on all of my cars for years and the paint on my cars hold up extremely well. I have yet to feel any wax that compares after a fresh coat, the paint feels smooth as glass and the shine is amazing. I had a 2015 Jeep SRT and I drove it quite a bit and the paint looked perfect right up to the day I sold it.

My prior Shelby (2010 GT500) I put about 8 coats of Liquid Glass on the front areas and never had a single rock chip on the front, on one occasion, I saw where a rock hit but you could see the small layer of Liquid glass which protected the paint. Each coat requires around 4 hours of sunlight so, it's easy to do 2 per day if the weather cooperates. I believe the "new" version of Liquid Glass is known as Finish First, I used it and it's about the same.

Good luck!

·
Registered
'13 GT500 - Red Candy Metallic w/ White Stripes
141 Posts
@350traitor, are you sure it wasn't the sasquatch on your...umm...interesting shirt? 😇 😂🤣

·
Registered
2014 Shelby GT500 2013 F150 SVT Raptor
1,329 Posts
Ian, Dr Colorchip. Then get PPF on at least the front surfaces.

I know PPF prices have gotten stupid but it’s worth it. When I had the Raptor and GT500 done in’13 the 3M clear bra was new and both were under $300. Neither has any chips on the front but unfortunately, after 8 years, it’s about time to have both replaced. Won’t be under $300 this time.

·
Registered
2020 GT500 / 2016 GT350
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I typically have my cars wrapped with XPEL, it is expensive but does an excellent job. Looking at your pictures, those are some sizable rocks that are hitting your car, I would guess at least 1/4 in diameter...ouch! At a minimum, make sure you get those touched to avoid further damage/peeling.

In addition to the XPEL, I use Liquid Glass (yes, it is no longer made but you can still find them on ebay/Amazon) It is a wax that forms a clear shield and can help protect against small rocks, sun, and dirt. I've been using that on all of my cars for years and the paint on my cars hold up extremely well. I have yet to feel any wax that compares after a fresh coat, the paint feels smooth as glass and the shine is amazing. I had a 2015 Jeep SRT and I drove it quite a bit and the paint looked perfect right up to the day I sold it.

My prior Shelby (2010 GT500) I put about 8 coats of Liquid Glass on the front areas and never had a single rock chip on the front, on one occasion, I saw where a rock hit but you could see the small layer of Liquid glass which protected the paint. Each coat requires around 4 hours of sunlight so, it's easy to do 2 per day if the weather cooperates. I believe the "new" version of Liquid Glass is known as Finish First, I used it and it's about the same.

Good luck!
Thanks for the advice. I will look into your advice.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
31,646 Posts
Rock chip avoidance tips:

Don’t follow closely behind vehicles and definitely give rock throwing semis a wide radius! I am a Liquid Glass user as well (on my 2011 and older vehicles). It’s great stuff, but won’t prevent big hits like that from causing chips.

PPF is the only way to go for protection to minimize rock chips. My 2020 is my first experience with film... it’s not cheap, but well worth it! I also had the car ceramic (quartz) coated... it really isn’t a rock chip protector though.

·
Super Moderator
5,113 Posts
As others have said, PPF is best protection against rock chips. Lots of options as to how much coverage you may want/need -- suggest talking to some local installers and getting their input/guidance. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
2012 Shelby GT500 convertible, triple black w/gold stripes and Shelby 50th anniversary fender badge.
45 Posts
+1 on the PPF. I have it on the front of mine as well as most of my other vehicles. On the others, which I drive a lot more, I did headlights, rocker panels, door handle cups, front of mirrors, etc. I have never regretted the investment, as others are correct that it isn't cheap. Nothing really good is.

Reactions: Goose17

·
Registered
2020 Shelby GT350- Race Red/White stripes
60 Posts
+1 on the PPF. I have it on the front of mine as well as most of my other vehicles. On the others, which I drive a lot more, I did headlights, rocker panels, door handle cups, front of mirrors, etc. I have never regretted the investment, as others are correct that it isn't cheap. Nothing really good is.
No regrets for not protecting more of the paint? Any chips in the rear?

·
Premium Member
2012 Shelby GT500 convertible, triple black w/gold stripes and Shelby 50th anniversary fender badge.
45 Posts
No regrets for not protecting more of the paint? Any chips in the rear?
Fortunately, none on my Shelby. I can see a couple spots on the front where the PPF has done its job.
On my other cars, I do the top of the bumpers near the trunk lid/tailgate, etc.

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
Here's what I found this morning while doing a quick wash to get rid of bird droppings.

sigh

Passenger rear

and yeah I know the wheels are dirty, they were clean(ish) 14 miles ago :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2020 GT500 Oxford White / Fully Loaded
127 Posts
Here's what I found this morning while doing a quick wash to get rid of bird droppings.

View attachment 214095

sigh

Passenger rear

and yeah I know the wheels are dirty, they were clean(ish) 14 miles ago :rolleyes:
No kidding, the Brembos leave a lot of residue, on my Shelby and my wife's Trackhawk even after a short drive the rims/brakes are dirty. I typically wipe them down each time as it only takes a few minutes and if I do not, it is much more work later on. I will be curious to see what brake options become available however, I typically stay with the Brembos.

I had to wash my Shelby yesterday, on the way home it was sunny then decided to rain on me about 20 minutes from reaching my house.

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
Yeah it's supposed to start raining (for a few days) here later today so I didn't spend as much time as I usually do washing.
It was mainly to get back to stripe delete after the birds.

The rock chip, it's just a weird place for one... I mean as a daily, I know stuff is going to happen.... just hate when it does.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts