Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed a spider crack in the paint on my hood, it was less than an inch in diameter. I bought to the local Ford service center, they assessed that the paint was defected and that the hood would need repainting.
The issue I am having is that they use a local body shop, my car has less that 2k miles on it. The last thing I want to do is bring it to a body shop for a week and have the hood painted. I am concerend about over spray, dust any anything elsee that could go wrong while your car is at a shop for a week. Am I being overly concerned or anyone else have any suggestions as to another approach on this issue?
Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Can you give them just the hood? At least that way your whole car isn't sitting at the paint shop for a week. I also suggest visiting the paint shop first. Do they have an appreciation for nice cars? Is it clean? Ask to look at some of their work.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You should be able to choose the paint/body shop not them.
I thought of that as well, I know a real good body guy in the area. I have seen his work before, I just don't want to take my car to just any Joe to do work.
I haven't approached the dealer on that yet.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If the dealership does not have their own body shop (as many do not anymore due to the astronomical costs associated with keeping the hazardious materals contained), and they use a local shop instead, you may not be given the option of taking your car to another shop of your choice if the work is being covered under warranty.

If that's the case, then I would definately recommend visiting the shop and speaking with the owner and/or manager as well as taking a good look around. If you see cars sitting there covered in Bondo dust and the like, and they appear to have been sitting there awhile, to me, that would be an indication of something to be concerned about. If you don't feel good about the shop, then you may have to take your car to another dealer if that's an option for you.

If you are forced to take the car to the dealer's shop, then flat out tell both parties (the dealer and the body shop) up front that you will apply a zero tolorance policy to overspray and orange peel issues, and you will not accept the car if your conditions are not met. The other issue that you need to be on the alert about is damage to the plastic trim that surrounds the convertible top. Even though they will be only working on the hood, if any of the wet runoff from buffing or color sanding makes contact with that plastic trim and is not cleaned up right away, the black plastic will get white stains in it that will not clean up after it has dried.

Good luck.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If the dealership does not have their own body shop (as many do not anymore due to the astronomical costs associated with keeping the hazardious materals contained), and they use a local shop instead, you may not be given the option of taking your car to another shop of your choice if the work is being covered under warranty.

If that's the case, then I would definately recommend visiting the shop and speaking with the owner and/or manager as well as taking a good look around. If you see cars sitting there covered in Bondo dust and the like, and they appear to have been sitting there awhile, to me, that would be an indication of something to be concerned about. If you don't feel good about the shop, then you may have to take your car to another dealer if that's an option for you.

If you are forced to take the car to the dealer's shop, then flat out tell both parties (the dealer and the body shop) up front that you will apply a zero tolorance policy to overspray and orange peel issues, and you will not accept the car if your conditions are not met. The other issue that you need to be on the alert about is damage to the plastic trim that surrounds the convertible top. Even though they will be only working on the hood, if any of the wet runoff from buffing or color sanding makes contact with that plastic trim and is not cleaned up right away, the black plastic will get white stains in it that will not clean up after it has dried.

Good luck.

Thanks alot I went thorugh that ordeal already with my old mustang, the top was ruined, after it left the shop.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
If it's actually cracking, it's not going to matter if it's the paint or the clear. Any crack is going to be deep enough that a re-shoot will be necessary. I wouldn't settle for a sanding/buff. Something under the paint/clear, a contaminant of some sort, caused the cracking and that needs to be cleaned/repaired.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If it's actually cracking, it's not going to matter if it's the paint or the clear. Any crack is going to be deep enough that a re-shoot will be necessary. I wouldn't settle for a sanding/buff. Something under the paint/clear, a contaminant of some sort, caused the cracking and that needs to be cleaned/repaired.
Agree, I will get the hood repainted, this has been helpful, I will also have the hood removed before it goes it the shop. Whish me luck....:ninja:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Although removing the hood and taking it in without the car will resolve most of your concerns, one major concern that might develop will be color matching the hood with the rest of the car, and I believe that the hood will have to be on the car for the body shop to re-install your stripes properly.

Just some things to consider if you only take the hood in.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Just a guess, but I would think that the body shop would only repaint the top of the hood, so they'd have a colour match with the bottom portion. As for the stripes, once the hood has been repainted and re-bolted to the car, then driving it to body shop for the stripe installation would solve any concerns about lining up the stripes properly.

At least, that's the way I'd do it.

Arbour88

·
Registered
224 Posts
I am in the process of getting this done (but for an aftermarket hood).

They needed something to color match the hood, i gave them my gas cap.

They also recommended not putting the stripes back on for at least 3 weeks, because if they did it sooner contaminates could come to the surface and bubble the stripes =/ so i got about a month before i can get the new stripes on according to the shop, and after that a week for the new supercharger =D

in the mean time my car is in the shop for a new trans/clutch/flywheel... so i don't mind the wait =)

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
When I had some goodies painted, I just gave them the paint code. It matches perfectly.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Do you have a pic of the crack ???

1 - 20 of 32 Posts