Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
61 - 80 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
2021 GT500 CFTP
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
How generous of them. Lol. I wouldn’t take a loss. Too early in the raising hell process for that. Ford obviously has some issues that need to be fixed with the GT500 hood quality control, and they definitely need to fire Penske and find somebody that gives a shit to paint the 10k stripes. Hopefully we can eventually find somebody at Ford who will at least acknowledge there is a problem.
Well after restating my case they were only going to give me 95k but finally went up to 105k. I don't want to take a loss either on it but I just feel like this car will never be the same if I get it "fixed" according to the local dealerships standard which won't be mine. I am very disappointed in the quality of the paint with the entire car. I much rather the entire car be painted again. In my opinion if Ford paints the car then sends to Penske to paint the stripes and Penske lets something like that go then that speaks to how they feel about quality too.

·
Premium Member
2021 GT500 HP Carbonized Metallic Gray
905 Posts
The dealership that I bought the vehicle from just called and they are offering to give me $105k for my car which is $1K off from the sticker price but then I will have to pay for the transport and its $1050 for that. So I have a lot of thinking to do in regards to whether or not I go through with this.
Jason I’d tell them to go to Hell you did nothing to depreciate the vehicle and they want you to take a loss oh hell no! Think They are calling because of that call you made to Ford today?

·
Registered
2021 GT500 CFTP
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Jason I’d tell them to go to Hell you did nothing to depreciate the vehicle and they want you to take a loss oh hell no! Think They are calling because of that call you made to Ford today?
I don't think it was because of the call to Ford a little while ago. I had reached out to the original dealership that I bought the car from when all this happened to see if they would buy it back or trade into a new allocation but the allocation they have has already been sold :( and me trusting something site unseen is something I'm not sure I'm willing to do anymore. I've never been so frustrated with a process like this in my life. I just don't know what other options I have but to live with it or try and sell it but I would have to disclose what has happened in which no one will want to even buy it at that point. Ford will only give me MSRP/Sticker if I could get them to buy it back. I'm at a loss no matter which way I go.

·
Premium Member
2021 GT500 HP Carbonized Metallic Gray
905 Posts
I don't think it was because of the call to Ford a little while ago. I had reached out to the original dealership that I bought the car from when all this happened to see if they would buy it back or trade into a new allocation but the allocation they have has already been sold :( and me trusting something site unseen is something I'm not sure I'm willing to do anymore. I've never been so frustrated with a process like this in my life. I just don't know what other options I have but to live with it or try and sell it but I would have to disclose what has happened in which no one will want to even buy it at that point. Ford will only give me MSRP/Sticker if I could get them to buy it back. I'm at a loss no matter which way I go.
If that’s the case with Ford then you send the dealer a demand letter for the remaining money. They should have disclosed the damage of a new vehicle. I’d research consumer protection laws in the state you purchased from and where you live. Many times the Attorney Generals office has folks who do these type of lawsuits for a consumer. That’s exactly what I did on my C6 Corvette 20 years ago.

Reactions: MadMax81

·
Registered
2021 GT500 CFTP
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
If that’s the case with Ford then you send the dealer a demand letter for the remaining money. They should have disclosed the damage of a new vehicle. I’d research consumer protection laws in the state you purchased from and where you live. Many times the Attorney Generals office has folks who do these type of lawsuits for a consumer. That’s exactly what I did on my C6 Corvette 20 years ago.
Thanks man I will look into all of that.

·
Registered
2021 GT 500
588 Posts
Well after restating my case they were only going to give me 95k but finally went up to 105k. I don't want to take a loss either on it but I just feel like this car will never be the same if I get it "fixed" according to the local dealerships standard which won't be mine. I am very disappointed in the quality of the paint with the entire car. I much rather the entire car be painted again. In my opinion if Ford paints the car then sends to Penske to paint the stripes and Penske lets something like that go then that speaks to how they feel about quality too.
Yeah, I don’t know what I want to do either. I have never had paint done where I was remotely satisfied. On the same token, the scratches on the trunk lid are clearly visible in the sun and drive me nuts every time I look at the car. I probably just need to live with the clear bubbles that are left. The detailer got 95% of them with the exception of the roof gutters, and those are only visible if you hover directly over top of them. Maybe I can get Dave Kindig to paint it. Lol

·
Registered
2021 Shelby GT500
52 Posts
Here are some examples from mine before correction. I have a lot more but it will only let me post 10. I have probably 40 pics of similar issues, too. My detailer has a couple hundred before pics I need to get from him. Did yours have buffing compound everywhere like mine did?

View attachment 238818
View attachment 238824
View attachment 238822
View attachment 238819
View attachment 238823
View attachment 238820
View attachment 238821

Here are a few post correction. You can see the scratches on the trunk lid here plus the clearly visible smudge on the hood from bubbles in the clear too deep to sand out.
View attachment 238826
View attachment 238827
View attachment 238825
If I am seeing what I think I am seeing - solvent pops or air bubbles in the clear coat, this is what I had and was fortunate that the paint shop was able to remove the top coat and reapply. Other than a small flat spot, I was happy they got the bubbles out of the top coat. I really hope "they" take care of you and make up for all the heart aches your experiencing.

·
Registered
2021 GT 500
588 Posts
If I am seeing what I think I am seeing - solvent pops or air bubbles in the clear coat, this is what I had and was fortunate that the paint shop was able to remove the top coat and reapply. Other than a small flat spot, I was happy they got the bubbles out of the top coat. I really hope "they" take care of you and make up for all the heart aches your experiencing.
Yep. There are bubbles in multiple places embedded in the clear. I wish I knew a place I trusted to try what you mentioned. I have just been so unhappy any time I had any kind of paint work, I really hesitate to even take it anywhere.

Well, there is one shop I know of a couple hundred miles away that has a body shop manager from a family of custom painters. My wife’s Raptor we bought from his dealer had an incorrectly installed tailgate from the factory that rubbed a bunch of paint off. The manager repainted her tailgate, and there are zero signs it was touched. We had other work done at the same shop, though, and it wasn’t great. If I could convince this guy to do it himself and not let the other less skilled employees touch it, it might be worth a try.

·
Registered
2021 GT500 (Carbonized Gray base w/ technology & Recaro package)
145 Posts
Thanks man I will look into all of that.
Will ur taxes and fees be reimbursed as well? Tax on $100+ is not cheap. If so and you’re out $1k for car and another $1k for shipping then the question is, is it worth the $2K to have peace of mind. I feel terrible for u and do not mean this to worsen ur already heavy load but if it were me, I’d give away the $2K and focus ur attention on getting another 500.
I say this because for me, even if the car was repaired flawlessly, which is unlikely, I’d still see it as “flawed” regardless if ur able to avoid a CarFax report or not. To me it would be one of those things that no one can see or knows is there but YOU know and it’s all you can focus on.
The longer this takes ur time and attention the harder it will be for u to find another car especially since it’s very unlikely that you’ll consider something you can see first which will limit ur options. Just to be clear I wouldn’t blame u at all and definitely would see the car or have someone you trust check it for u first.
I’m so very sorry and hope my opinion didn’t make things worse.

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
Jason, you are in a tough spot that nobody on this forum wants to be in. I totally understand your frustration because you paid top dollar for a vehicle and it is not perfect. I am the type of person that if my car has a tiny flaw it really bothers me. I gave this some thought and if I was in your shoes I would get it repaired and I’ll tell you why. The fear of not being able to get another new GT500 would bother me more. Mine is not perfect but I love it, flaws and all.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Yep. There are bubbles in multiple places embedded in the clear. I wish I knew a place I trusted to try what you mentioned. I have just been so unhappy any time I had any kind of paint work, I really hesitate to even take it anywhere.

Well, there is one shop I know of a couple hundred miles away that has a body shop manager from a family of custom painters. My wife’s Raptor we bought from his dealer had an incorrectly installed tailgate from the factory that rubbed a bunch of paint off. The manager repainted her tailgate, and there are zero signs it was touched. We had other work done at the same shop, though, and it wasn’t great. If I could convince this guy to do it himself and not let the other less skilled employees touch it, it might be worth a try.
I realize that you aren’t the OP but sounds like your too in a very similar position. Have you even tried to speak to your dealer or Ford about addressing your damage? Did you have the same sight unseen purchase? How far apart are your builds? This seems much to similar to be a coincidence. So very sorry for you as well. If anyone was considering buying a car from out of state from any dealer near me, I’d be happy to check it out for them. This is very unlikely because the Bay Area and California in general ADM is insane and only gets worse but the offer still stands. I hate these stories as the slightest blemish drives me insane and so feel the pain for both of you.

·
Registered
2021 GT500 CFTP
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Jason, you are in a tough spot that nobody on this forum wants to be in. I totally understand your frustration because you paid top dollar for a vehicle and it is not perfect. I am the type of person that if my car has a tiny flaw it really bothers me. I gave this some thought and if I was in your shoes I would get it repaired and I’ll tell you why. The fear of not being able to get another new GT500 would bother me more. Mine is not perfect but I love it, flaws and all.
Part of me wants to try and get it repaired then part of me does not. I've already been through a lot dealing with two dealerships over all this and Ford themselves. I don't think anyone wants to be held responsible for any of the repair nor wanting to take it off my hands without me getting screwed. I'm hoping to have a discussion with Ford tomorrow if I could get the dealership to buy it for what they said they would and Ford to reimburse me what the dealership is not wanting to pay to make it a complete wash then I would start over and be able to move forward hopefully to find another 500 and if not then I may go a different direction unfortunately.

·
Registered
2021 GT 500
588 Posts
I realize that you aren’t the OP but sounds like your too in a very similar position. Have you even tried to speak to your dealer or Ford about addressing your damage? Did you have the same sight unseen purchase? How far apart are your builds? This seems much to similar to be a coincidence. So very sorry for you as well. If anyone was considering buying a car from out of state from any dealer near me, I’d be happy to check it out for them. This is very unlikely because the Bay Area and California in general ADM is insane and only gets worse but the offer still stands. I hate these stories as the slightest blemish drives me insane and so feel the pain for both of you.
My build date is 6/28/21. Would be interesting to know if these horribly clearcoated painted stripe cars were all done in a similar build date window. I picked mine up on an absolutely shitty winter day in Michigan, nearly 500 miles from home. I didn’t see anything when I picked it up, but it was both raining and snowing when I was trying to get it on the trailer. Local dealer wanted to sick their horrible body shop on my car. No thanks. The dealer I bought it from is tiny and too far away to be much help, so I haven’t even tried otherwise for fear of making things worse. I have talked to several other people with painted stripe cars that had the exact same issues, so I’m pretty sure it is or was a problem at Penske. My stripes are beautifully done by someone who obviously knew what he was doing. The clearcoat looks like a blind monkey did it. I still can’t believe this made it past quality control at Penske, and I assume Ford does a final QC check too. Then again, they just sent a car out where they forgot to paint the black roof, so maybe they don’t have a final check or the guy was sleeping on the job.

·
Registered
145 Posts
My build date is 6/28/21. Would be interesting to know if these horribly clearcoated painted stripe cars were all done in a similar build date window. I picked mine up on an absolutely shitty winter day in Michigan, nearly 500 miles from home. I didn’t see anything when I picked it up, but it was both raining and snowing when I was trying to get it on the trailer. Local dealer wanted to sick their horrible body shop on my car. No thanks. The dealer I bought it from is tiny and too far away to be much help, so I haven’t even tried otherwise for fear of making things worse. I have talked to several other people with painted stripe cars that had the exact same issues, so I’m pretty sure it is or was a problem at Penske. My stripes are beautifully done by someone who obviously knew what he was doing. The clearcoat looks like a blind monkey did it. I still can’t believe this made it past quality control at Penske, and I assume Ford does a final QC check too. Then again, they just sent a car out where they forgot to paint the black roof, so maybe they don’t have a final check or the guy was sleeping on the job.
Jason would have to say when his was built but his chassis number is M1966. I find this insanely ridiculous beyond comprehension. I realize nothing is perfect and have read/experienced many less obvious conditions like imperfect panel gaps and blemishes but Ford should really make these situations right. It’s a matter of standing behind your product and putting the customer first. Especially in the Mustang and even more so Shelby line. So many of us are multiple Mustang owners over many years and some lucky enough to have multiple at the same time. They should want to know the details of these situations so they can trace the source of the problem as you guys are surely not the only ones affected which would cost them more money in the end. I also have heard many horror stories about both the quality of the outrageously priced painted stripes as well as the vinyl versions. Many people seem to replace the vinyl from Ford with other reputable companies products. All I can do is imagine what you both felt once you washed each of ur cars and uncovered the issues. I wish I could do more than keep how awful I feel for u both. I’d definitely be happy to sign any campaign or letter or whatever helps bring attention to your situations.

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
Part of me wants to try and get it repaired then part of me does not. I've already been through a lot dealing with two dealerships over all this and Ford themselves. I don't think anyone wants to be held responsible for any of the repair nor wanting to take it off my hands without me getting screwed. I'm hoping to have a discussion with Ford tomorrow if I could get the dealership to buy it for what they said they would and Ford to reimburse me what the dealership is not wanting to pay to make it a complete wash then I would start over and be able to move forward hopefully to find another 500 and if not then I may go a different direction unfortunately.
If you can get them to take the car back start looking for a new one, although you’ve probably already done that. Even if you have to take a loss, maybe having a new one will help make that loss sting a little less. Put all this negative experience behind you and start fresh. Like I said before, my only concern would be not being able to have another one.

Looking forward to good and positive news from you soon. Wishing you luck :)

·
Registered
07 GT500
683 Posts
Personally you would be better off without the car at this point. This sucks for sure but if you can get your money back you could just order another one. It would cost more money but in the end you will be happier. This car is already under your skin. Best thing is send it back get as much money as you can and wait till next years model.

Reactions: MadMax81

·
Premium Member
439 Posts
Personally you would be better off without the car at this point. This sucks for sure but if you can get your money back you could just order another one. It would cost more money but in the end you will be happier. This car is already under your skin. Best thing is send it back get as much money as you can and wait till next years model.
Problem is, there is no next year GT500 or am I misinformed?

·
Registered
2021 GT 500
588 Posts
Jason would have to say when his was built but his chassis number is M1966. I find this insanely ridiculous beyond comprehension. I realize nothing is perfect and have read/experienced many less obvious conditions like imperfect panel gaps and blemishes but Ford should really make these situations right. It’s a matter of standing behind your product and putting the customer first. Especially in the Mustang and even more so Shelby line. So many of us are multiple Mustang owners over many years and some lucky enough to have multiple at the same time. They should want to know the details of these situations so they can trace the source of the problem as you guys are surely not the only ones affected which would cost them more money in the end. I also have heard many horror stories about both the quality of the outrageously priced painted stripes as well as the vinyl versions. Many people seem to replace the vinyl from Ford with other reputable companies products. All I can do is imagine what you both felt once you washed each of ur cars and uncovered the issues. I wish I could do more than keep how awful I feel for u both. I’d definitely be happy to sign any campaign or letter or whatever helps bring attention to your situations.
Appreciate your sentiments. I feel the same. The wife and I are long-time loyal Ford customers. This is our first Shelby but we’ve had a ton of Mustangs and other Fords. You would think Ford would be horrified by stuff like this happening to Escapes, much less halo cars, but this stuff keeps happening over and over and nothing is ever done. The quality culture Ford used to have just isn’t there anymore. We’ll see what happens when I send my letters to the executive structure. I’m gonna carpet bomb all the high executive offices so maybe one of the office staff will think it’s important enough to actually bring to the attention of senior staff. Unfortunately, I don’t think Ford cares about anything but the electrics now. Their customer service staff is less than worthless—as the op on this thread has found out. I have had multiple warranty issues on several vehicles the last few years that I attempted to escalate. I have run into CS reps that know nothing about the cars they’re representing, argue when they don’t know what the hell they‘re talking about, and don’t even bother returning phone calls. Ford used to have reps in the forums that actually helped but it’s been years since they did that. I think a lot of this was instituted by the last incompetent CEO they had. He was all about cost cutting, customer be damned. I was hoping Farley would fix things, but so far I haven’t seen much progress.

·
Registered
2021 GT500 CFTP
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
I did check my blend date and it was 07/22/21 so we are pretty close in dates.

·
Registered
2021 GT500 CFTP
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Just an update I did leave another message for ford executives with no call back. I finally heard back from a supervisor who was about worthless they have no way to escalate my case further than I am right now. The dealership has given me till Wednesday of next week on what I decide to do and I was hoping to hear from Ford if they would buy it back or not. However after speaking to the supervisor all of this falls under my state lemon laws on by backs. No one from the buy back team has even been assigned to my case. So I feel like I roll the dice as to which way to go here. Either I sell it back to the original dealership and take a loss or wait to see if Ford will buy it back which there is no guarantee they will and or what price. Not sure what to do but running out of time to make a decision.

61 - 80 of 93 Posts