Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
2021 GT500 CFTP
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a 2021 Antimatter Blue GT500 with painted stripes and the cftp version. I expected the car to arrive in good shape but that was not the case. Delivery was disappointing the dealership that transported used a company that pretty much delivered my car in filth it was disgusting to look at. After doing just a foam wash I decided to have my detailer look at it. Lots of scratches and spider webs in the paint. However the car was still filthy even after the foam and it wasn’t till after a thorough wash that my hood had two dents. I took my car to a trusted body shop to look at doing PDR. It was determined the hood is made of SMC and therefore no chance of doing PDR. The body shop stated that there was a defect in the hood from factory that it seemed part of the molding or material was separating. I called the dealership whom I bought the vehicle from and they stated to go to my local dealership that has a body shop. So I went to the dealership and was told the same so now I’m waiting on next step. The next step is to get Ford to approve a new hood. I’m really concerned about how the paint and the painted stripes will look when this is finished. I’m very disappointed I love the car but for Ford to release a car like this and or a dealership not catching this is behind me. It is really difficult to photograph and it doesn’t look too bad in pictures but is much worse in person.

Attachments

·
Registered
2021 GT500 CFTP
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hard to capture on camera but there is a buldge in the cowl and it created dents on both sides of the buldge. Also there is another section right up from this that is stating to do the same thing
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle
Hood Jersey Grey Vehicle door Motor vehicle

Jersey Grey Font Material property Hood

·
Registered
2021 GT500 CFTP
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I also have a deep scratch in the back fender that is impossible to remove without repainting. In the sunlight it’s not that noticeable but still irritated over that. I’m going to mention it as well to the dealership. I’ll document this as I go through this journey I’m waiting to hear back from them on next steps.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
41,976 Posts
Sucks no matter how you slice it Jason. Hopefully it’s all corrected to your satisfaction.

·
Registered
2014 Shelby GT500, SGM, " 1 of 1 "
5,492 Posts
Not sure what others do,but I walk around the car, prior to taking delivery with my salesman.
I point out issues, he writes them down, signs & dates the paper. There has never been an issue getting things fixed..

·
Registered
2021 GT500 CFTP
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not sure what others do,but I walk around the car, prior to taking delivery with my salesman.
I point out issues, he writes them down, signs & dates the paper. There has never been an issue getting things fixed..
Well I bought the car out of state so I wasn't able to view it in person till after I received the car. Hard to see a lot of imperfections or issues when the car is in complete filth as well. The dealership I bought it from has been pretty good about communication but at this point they are out of the picture and dealing with my local dealership now. I'll try and remain positive as long as I can.

·
Registered
2020 Kona Blue CFTP, painted stripes, tech pack
135 Posts
It’s terrible that the selling dealer did not correct the issues, rather he passed them on to your local dealer. Given the high level of options and the color, you probably paid the selling dealer a fair amount of money. I’d plaster their name on social media. As far as correction, I’m sure Ford will make things right but that will take some time. Please be careful that you use a body/paint shop that is fully qualified as a dealer may not be. If you’re not happy, ask Ford to take the car back. It’s a shame as the GT500 you bought is a unicorn….antimatter blue with CFTP and painted stripes. That’s a rare bird for sure. Best of luck with getting the car repaired. You will have a beautiful beast when it’s finished.

·
Registered
2021 GT500 CFTP
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It’s terrible that the selling dealer did not correct the issues, rather he passed them on to your local dealer. Given the high level of options and the color, you probably paid the selling dealer a fair amount of money. I’d plaster their name on social media. As far as correction, I’m sure Ford will make things right but that will take some time. Please be careful that you use a body/paint shop that is fully qualified as a dealer may not be. If you’re not happy, ask Ford to take the car back. It’s a shame as the GT500 you bought is a unicorn….antimatter blue with CFTP and painted stripes. That’s a rare bird for sure. Best of luck with getting the car repaired. You will have a beautiful beast when it’s finished.
Yeah I agree with everything you said. The dealership I bought it from said they would've worked with me had I been local but that is why I'm having to deal with local. I really don't know about the work of this body shop it is not my preferred body shop I would take it to as I have a body shop I've dealt with in the past do work on my vehicles. I don't know that I have a choice as it has to go through Ford and warranty. However I've not been down this road before. I definitely paid a premium for it and expected better than this. I don't know that Ford would consider buying it back over something like this but I will go through the process to try and get it repaired and if it is not to my satisfaction then I will have to see what next steps will be. Appreciate the input.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Not sure that this is the fault of your selling dealer. The hood imperfections are somewhat difficult to see. I wonder if those dents are prevalent prevalent among the cars and owners just have not yet noticed noticed?

In terms of a buyback you might instead request a replacement given the scarcity of the cars, etc. If you decide to go that route. I removed the painted stripes from my car for the simple reason that if there is a problem whether initially or later it Might be difficult to match the factory work.

Best wishes for prompt resolution!

Reactions: MadMax81 and Indy

·
Registered
2021 GT500
43 Posts
Just be calm but persistent with the dealer(s) and Ford. I had my driver’s fender replaced due to a defect in the SMC. Since my car is Oxford White, defects are hard to see since white hides minor ripples. The ripple was not readily apparent in the dealership’s showroom with their fluorescent lighting. Once you were about 45 degrees off-axis in natural light on either side of the cobra emblem, you could see the ripples. I have circled the area where the ripples were. The dark spots are where the ripple low spots were. Since I purchased the car this past December, it took over 2 months to get the replacement fender, but the repair was very good.

Hood Automotive lighting Automotive mirror Automotive design Font

·
Registered
2021 GT500 CFTP
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just be calm but persistent with the dealer(s) and Ford. I had my driver’s fender replaced due to a defect in the SMC. Since my car is Oxford White, defects are hard to see since white hides minor ripples. The ripple was not readily apparent in the dealership’s showroom with their fluorescent lighting. Once you were about 45 degrees off-axis in natural light on either side of the cobra emblem, you could see the ripples. I have circled the area where the ripples were. The dark spots are where the ripple low spots were. Since I purchased the car this past December, it took over 2 months to get the replacement fender, but the repair was very good.

View attachment 235675
At least I’m not the only one with issues like this. Agree is hard to see it but once you do you can’t unsee it. Glad you got repaired and satisfied with the job. I hope I have the same experience.

·
Registered
2014 GT500 Convertible
207 Posts
Quality control, work ethics and customer service for the most part are non-existent today..You find it missing in most businesses today..Not Ford but Hyundai service. They worked on my '16 Tucson, got it back with white grease on my leather seat, dash board and side window. New '22 Tucson, they had to remove door panel to plug in memory seat controller that the factory failed to do ( no PDI done) and in the process put five deep scratches on the door sill where you step in. No accountability at all, it's all about profit. This is why I only take my vehicles back to dealerships for recall work.

Good luck getting your issues resolved but I know I wouldn't be sleeping well at night knowing what I paid for that car and the piss poor workmanship I received from the Ford factory.

·
Registered
323 Posts
. Since I purchased the car this past December, it took over 2 months to get the replacement fender, but the repair was very good.

i don't know ford part availability, but in my opinion consider yourself lucky on only a 2 month wait for parts.
i work in a VW / Mazda dealer bodyshop.
the Mazda CX-5 there is a 6+ month wait for front bumper covers.
i recently rough pulled a low miles 2021 VW Atlas that was T boned in the side. there is a 8 month wait for passenger side doors. i had to cut the doors open, pull it so the doors opened and closed, weld temporary patches over where i cut the door open, and replaced the side curtain air bags so the customer can drive the car until the parts arrive.
i i remember correctly there is a 3 month wait for fenders for Atlas suv's also.

there are probably 30 wrecked, mostly Mazda, undriveable cars in the parking lot of the bodyshop where i work at.
from what i hear this is a common problem everywhere on almost all car lines..

·
Registered
2021 GT500 CFTP
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quality control, work ethics and customer service for the most part are non-existent today..You find it missing in most businesses today..Not Ford but Hyundai service. They worked on my '16 Tucson, got it back with white grease on my leather seat, dash board and side window. New '22 Tucson, they had to remove door panel to plug in memory seat controller that the factory failed to do ( no PDI done) and in the process put five deep scratches on the door sill where you step in. No accountability at all, it's all about profit. This is why I only take my vehicles back to dealerships for recall work.

Good luck getting your issues resolved but I know I wouldn't be sleeping well at night knowing what I paid for that car and the piss poor workmanship I received from the Ford factory.
Well said and agree with you it isn't just Ford but businesses in general the standard of anything seems to be much lower and therefore we should lower our expectations I think not. We pay more for things in general now with quality decreasing as time moves forward.

·
Registered
07 GT500
696 Posts
This sucks man to have these problems with a new car. When the car comes in it's hard not to be excited especially when you waited months for it to come in only to find out its not as perfect as you would expect. When you inspecting the car for the first time pretend you are waxing it for the first time. That's when you see all the scratches and imperfections. If you don't like the car be prepared to walk away from that car and make them order you another one. These cars need to be inspected out in the sun not in the showroom. Its hard to get them to fix little dents and scratches after the sale because the finger always points in one direction.
i hope you get some satisfaction..

·
Registered
2021 GT500 CFTP
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I called Ford Customer Care today and explained what has happened then suggested that I speak to Ford Marketing. After discussing with them we discussed a potential buyback but he had suggested that I work with my local dealership. So I called them and they are going to open up a case to see where things go with that. Maybe I'm being too picky but buying a $105,000 car and having paint/dent imperfections as such I just am not thrilled about getting a new hood and having to paint the hood and then having to paint the stripes on it to match. I just expect things won't line up or match the way I would expect then possibly replacing fenders. Anyone been through something like this or going through a buyback process have any thoughts on this or that I'm way overreacting about something like this. Also the hood is on back order and dealership has no clue when it would be available.

1 - 20 of 94 Posts