Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've notice a defect in the paint on the hood of my black vert. The best way I can describe it is that it looks like they painted over an oil spot. This would probably be very difficult to see on a lighter color hood. I don't see it on my white coupe.

At first I noticed one very small spot that I felt I could live with instead of having the whole hood re-painted. But the other day I noticed another and now another and the original spot seems to be getting larger.

I can't get a very good in focused pic for you but I'll attach what I have... (I'll have to try to post pics later. Having trouble with the pc here at work)

Last Friday I took it to the local Ford dealership and showed it to the body shop manager. He agreed that it is under the clear coat and is coming from the hood surface upward. He stated that he has never seen this before. I asked him if they would warrantee it and he said yes but he wants to give it more time to see if it gets worse. I also asked him if we needed to document this and he said no that he would remember and stated how many of these do you think I see. lol

I can't find this defect anywhere else on the car and feel it may have something to do with the aluminum.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. I'll have check out my paint a little more closely. I do have a paint flaw that looks like a piece of dirt was painted over, but I haven't noticed anything like you mention.

I would suggest that you push your dealer to document this case right now, including their willingness to cover it under warranty. The human memory can be a fickle mistress. Talk to them next week, and you'll very likely get a completely different answer.

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the heads up. I'll have check out my paint a little more closely. I do have a paint flaw that looks like a piece of dirt was painted over, but I haven't noticed anything like you mention.

I would suggest that you push your dealer to document this case right now, including their willingness to cover it under warranty. The human memory can be a fickle mistress. Talk to them next week, and you'll very likely get a completely different answer.
Keep an eye on your paint flaw. That is exactly what I thought when I first saw it. You should measure it now or take a photo and again in a month or so. You may even want to show it to your local dealership in case it grows.:eek:

Your right about the human memory but he only wants to wait about 4 to 6 weeks.

I'll try to get some clear photos of mine. It's difficult because of glare and my camera has trouble focusing on something that small.

·
Registered
174 Posts
looks like at least 3 posts about Ford Paint.....doesn't look good for quality control.

·
Premium Member
1,181 Posts
Those where from 2007, I would hope the quality control at Ford has been improving over the last 4 1/2 years.
Eric

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
I have been detailing my car over the past few weeks and have found many flaws in my paint. Mine looks like tiny dots (needle point size) and some areas where it looks like they did some sanding but missed the filling in process.
Ford builds a pretty good car but their painting is not so gooda!
The question is do we live with these defects or get the areas painted (under warranty) with the chance of it not matching perfectly.
I know there are many good shops that can do the work well, maybe a shop that paints high end cars but it's been my experience that it can be pot luck when you pick up the car.
The thought did go thru my mind to get the entire car painted on my dime but that cost would probably fall in the 15k range at a minimum.
What to do? I don't know.....

Chris

·
Registered
174 Posts
If my car needs repainting you bet I'm making ford repaint it

·
Registered
453 Posts
They painted over oil DRIPS on mine!!!!!! I only notice it in certain light, but damn is it horrible in the right light!

·
Registered
157 Posts
That may MAY actually be a boo boo on your part. I have heard from many people gasoline can discolor paint. Is it out of the question that you may have possibly dripped a little while filling up?

·
Registered
205 Posts
First pic almost looks like thin clear. Just before you break into the base, the clear will get kindof milky looking. Will start small and get bigger with time. Ive done this more times than I can count from getting too handsy with a rotary and cutting pad. Reclear was always required. Never really cared since I do the paint stuff myself.

·
Registered
205 Posts
They painted over oil DRIPS on mine!!!!!! I only notice it in certain light, but damn is it horrible in the right light!

That looks like top coat. If they painted over an oil drip, you would have adhesion issue. I would pick up some 3M 3000 Perfect-it and hit it by hand to see if that cures your issues.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Well I have hit it with wax and rubbing compound and it doesn't seem to lessen or come off. I am very careful with gasoline and would have wiped it off immediately. HOWEVER, I can't say the same for the previous owner!! He was like 70-something...

I guess I can try wet sanding. 3M 3000 Perfect? I will try that!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Be careful with the wet sanding. I wouldnt go any lower than 2500 grit. Sometimes that can cause more harm than good.

·
Premium Member
6,703 Posts
Speaking of more harm than good, realize that when your dealership goes to "fix" your flaw or flaws, that you are entering into the "Twilight Zone" with regard to what you might get back... Re-sprays can have adhesion issues that show up later down the road.. Re-sprays can crack/craze years down the road... Re-sprays can have dirt, fish-eyes, compressor contamination, etc... Re-sprays can have sanding marks underneath the color and clear... And on and on and on...

I've ranted regarding this issue before... I see so often people become incensed about some smallish-flaw, demand it be fixed, which then snowballs into spraying a whole quarter, blowing into the doors and C-pillars and trunk, re-clearing HALF the car, and they get back this cobbled/orange-peeled/screwed-up mess, and they seem HAPPY (because they wouldn't know a proper finish to save their lives), and I'm just sitting their with my jaw dropped... (like my avatar... ;) )

I'm a perfectionist, so if some flaw flared up, and got so bad I couldn't stand it, I'd have to get it fixed. What I'd probably do differently though is I'd take my car to one of the bad-ass world-class restoration shops I know, and pay out of pocket for a premium and invisible to 99.9% repair.

I wouldn't leave it to the dealership bodyshop. They can't typically meet my standard. In which case, who gives a damn about a free warranty repair when it just makes matters worse.

If Frozensvt is a body/paint guy, then I'm certain he knows of what I speak!

·
Banned
1,592 Posts
Speaking of more harm than good, realize that when your dealership goes to "fix" your flaw or flaws, that you are entering into the "Twilight Zone" with regard to what you might get back... Re-sprays can have adhesion issues that show up later down the road.. Re-sprays can crack/craze years down the road... Re-sprays can have dirt, fish-eyes, compressor contamination, etc... Re-sprays can have sanding marks underneath the color and clear... And on and on and on...

I've ranted regarding this issue before... I see so often people become incensed about some smallish-flaw, demand it be fixed, which then snowballs into spraying a whole quarter, blowing into the doors and C-pillars and trunk, re-clearing HALF the car, and they get back this cobbled/orange-peeled/screwed-up mess, and they seem HAPPY (because they wouldn't know a proper finish to save their lives), and I'm just sitting their with my jaw dropped... (like my avatar... ;) )

I'm a perfectionist, so if some flaw flared up, and got so bad I couldn't stand it, I'd have to get it fixed. What I'd probably do differently though is I'd take my car to one of the bad-ass world-class restoration shops I know, and pay out of pocket for a premium and invisible to 99.9% repair.

I wouldn't leave it to the dealership bodyshop. They can't typically meet my standard. In which case, who gives a damn about a free warranty repair when it just makes matters worse.

If Frozensvt is a body/paint guy, then I'm certain he knows of what I speak!
You are absolutely spot on!

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
Bing-bam-boom.....
+1
Take it to the dealer and you get some bone head with a spray can trying to fix the problem. Ask them for a credit of some kind towards your paint shop, maybe they will approve that hair brained idea.

Good luck!

Chris

·
Registered
205 Posts
Im not a paint/body expert by any means. But I have been slinging paint for awhile. My dad taught me when I was young. I do some of my own stuff, but do not have the confidence to do it for other people. Takes me too long. 69boss it 100% spot on. Whoever repaints it, talk to them first. Find out what they use for paint. Factory paint is very hard to match just laying it down. Let alone finishing work. You are better off getting the whole car repainted because it will NEVER match perfectly. How a color comes out can be effected by even the number of coates applied. If prep isnt good, cracks, fish eye, checking and dry spots will occur. IF you are that bothered, do the research. Look at past vehicles painted.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Thanks to learning the art of auto body work from my Dad at an early age, I can usually tell fairly quickly when a car (or parts) have been repainted.

Dealerships usually do some pretty shoddy work. Get it in and get it out....

·
Registered
453 Posts
I would definitely have this professionally assessed if I can't get it off with rubbing compound. I'm in fact too scared to even wet sand myself (if it needed it) as I'm not experienced enough with paint. I hope it doesn't need repaint. Can't say for sure if I would even bother. It's only noticeable in bright light, though it does drive me crazy knowing it's there.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts