Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2010 Ford Mustang GT500
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sure you guys know that the fuel rails on the S197 engine platform oxidize over time and turn a copper color. I was going to get them powder coated but was told you cannot remove the existing host on the two rails. That being said since I have an extra set I can experiment a little bit. If I wanted to paint these with a high temperature spray paint what would be the best way to do so? Does anyone know what the steps would be exactly? I assume I'd have to rough them up to take primer and them spray on the high temp paint. Would I use a scotch bright pad to rough it up? Any insight on this for a DIY method/way would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully we got some painters on the forums :)
Wood Tool Bicycle part Hand tool Metalworking hand tool

·
Registered
2010 Ford Mustang GT500
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wow that looks so much better than the stock rails. Did u swap them yourself? Is it hard if you did?

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2010 Ford Mustang GT500
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And with those is there still a hose going from one to the other like oem?

·
Registered
2010 Ford Mustang GT500
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The fuel line goes through the rear of the SC. I did it myself and I’m no mechanic
Cool good to know. Thanks man. The fuel rail you chose came with everything you needed to install it?

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
41,418 Posts
I am sure you guys know that the fuel rails on the S197 engine platform oxidize over time and turn a copper color. I was going to get them powder coated but was told you cannot remove the existing host on the two rails. That being said since I have an extra set I can experiment a little bit. If I wanted to paint these with a high temperature spray paint what would be the best way to do so? Does anyone know what the steps would be exactly? I assume I'd have to rough them up to take primer and them spray on the high temp paint. Would I use a scotch bright pad to rough it up? Any insight on this for a DIY method/way would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully we got some painters on the forums :) View attachment 235921
I painted mine:

·
Registered
2008 725 Super Snake
4,966 Posts
As for the oem stainless fuel rails, an owner (who I bought these rails from) removed all of the Yellowing (which is solder flux at the fittings) and then polished the stainless rails to the finish shown below..........

No need to buy after market fuel rails or powder coat oem for a "Nice Look", the oem stainless can be very cool looking.....Of course Ford was not going to spend quality time on the GT500 fuel rails.......but with a little effort, they can look Great! and actually better than many aftermarket rails.....

R

·
Registered
2010 Ford Mustang GT500
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
As for the oem stainless fuel rails, an owner (who I bought these rails from) removed all of the Yellowing (which is solder flux at the fittings) and then polished the stainless rails to the finish shown below..........

No need to buy after market fuel rails or powder coat oem for a "Nice Look", the oem stainless can be very cool looking.....Of course Ford was not going to spend quality time on the GT500 fuel rails.......but with a little effort, they can look Great! and actually better than many aftermarket rails.....

R
Very nice! I have no idea what the first step would be to get mine to look like this lol. Would an avg Joe be able to do this or would I have to out source this to a pro?

·
Registered
2010 Ford Mustang GT500
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Had the shop send the stock rails out for powder coating during the blower upgrade..

Did you need a special power shop to do this? I was told they could be easily ruined if they didn't powder coat them a certain way. Also did you leave the hose connecting the two when yours were done?

·
Registered
2008 725 Super Snake
4,966 Posts
Very nice! I have no idea what the first step would be to get mine to look like this lol. Would an avg Joe be able to do this or would I have to out source this to a pro?

I believe (but am not positive) that the owner of the rails that I showed above had a polishing wheel and used various grades of polish to make them the way they look in my pictures. He put them up for sale for $100 plus shipping and I jumped on them for that price.....The labor alone was worth that to me........

R

1 - 20 of 38 Posts