Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Honestly, would the aluminum block that is rumored to be coming in the 2011 gt500 be worth another year or so wait?

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
The new model is visually lacking to me.
So, I'm not interested until they fix what they did to the rear end of the new Mustangs.

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
So, I'm not interested until they fix what they did to the rear end of the new Mustangs.
Its nice to know that I'm not the only person who feels that way. Actually, I have not yet found anyone who likes the new style rear end.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Add the wife and I to that list. When she decided she was ready for a new Stang, she looked at the '09 and '10 (pictures anyway) and went with the '09. We've both seen '10s on the road since and are glad she went with the '09.

But that wasn't what the thread was about originally.
Rumors come and go. I sure would have liked the aluminun block in my car as delivered, but I'm not sure how the price would have been affected. The GT500 was a very big jump in price over my 2004 Cobra, so I would imagine the aluminum block would have added even more.
Now I suppose that Ford might be thinking of an aluminum block for the F-150 as part of the attack on gas mileage. If so, then an aluminum block for the GT500 could make sense in a couple of ways. But I would think Ford would have other places to put its development money than just a stand-alone piece for the GT500. So, if you want to run this to ground to see if it's likely to occur, I'd say see if you can find any rumors about the future F-150 engines going aluminum.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Totally agree. From the back it looks Japanesse-like an old Celica GT-no muscle! But I do like the leds and sequential signals.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong guys, but wouldn't an aluminum block be weaker than the cast iron one that is in the current model. If this is true then the 2011 would be less mod friendly.

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
but wouldn't an aluminum block be weaker than the cast iron one that is in the current model.
Not at all. The FRPP alum 5.4L block is considered strong enough to support 2000hp.

As for the '11 Mustang, even if it does come with an aluminum block, due to its lack of visual appeal - I won't buy it.

The best performing car in the world, will have minimal sales if it is ugly!
That new interior is nice but that rear end would have me backing into parking spots just so I would not have to walk up on the car from behind.

Just my $.02

·
Registered
42 Posts
That new interior is nice but that rear end would have me backing into parking spots just so I would not have to walk up on the car from behind.
Amen to that... I think it looks more like a Hyundai Genesis than a Mustang...

The seq. lights are good... Liked them enough to put them on my '06, But on my Shelby... No thanks... Only thing worth changing on the Shelby is the cat-backs... Drop those quiet mufflers... :rocker: Make it sound like it goes...! :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, I get that people do not get the looks, i like them. That being said do you think that it is worth the wait? At this moment in time i think that i will go through with my order. If the aluminum block actually comes to be or they add a new 5.0l s/c i could trade it back in.

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
That being said do you think that it is worth the wait?
What are your planned intentions?

For street driving, the difference is minimal.
It would help with weight transfer when drag racing.
And it would be much better for road racing.

·
Banned
1,592 Posts
I have an 09 GT500...but I have to say, I REALLY like the 2010 body style...I think the rear end and the "shoulders" look great...plus the interior is nice...having slight regrets on not buying a 2010...though I'm sure I would have paid more

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
My intentions are just street driving and the occasional 1/4 at the track i'm sure. Doubt I would ever do any road course racing but you never know.

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
If you like the new car and you're willing to wait, then do so.

If you want a car to drive today, then get a deal on an '08 or '09.

If the only change is the material of the block for 2011, the performance difference in 90% of real word driving is negligible.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I have an 09 GT500...but I have to say, I REALLY like the 2010 body style...I think the rear end and the "shoulders" look great...plus the interior is nice...having slight regrets on not buying a 2010...though I'm sure I would have paid more
I like them both, but for different reasons. The 2010 has more of a soft look that will blend in with other cars, and a great interior. The 2009 has that old muscle look that really stands out on the road, and reminds me much more of my favorite muscle car of all time (below). Can't go wrong either way.....

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have to agree with you on this one, I 2 have a 2009 GT500, there are MANY changes for 2010, gears, suspension, power (511 at the wheels on a few early dyno tests thats HUGE!) and the best change of all....THE WHEELS!!
if I could add anything it would be to add the glass roof or a nice sunroof, the shaker 1000 on the Nav and HID driving lights....the backend...I like the 2009 better but its not bad.......ya I wish i would have waited and bought the 2010

·
Registered
412 Posts
If ford does could out with an aluminum block for GT 500 2011, I would get the one with the least amount of weight and most power. I always like the power and fast take off, and looks are second. It is still a great looking car--it is sad that ford did not come out with the aluminum block starting in 2007. Come on, a car that weights 4,000 pounds is just too much! Just my thoughts.

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
Ford will continue to make the next iteration a little better than the present model. I'd prefer to drive sooner rather than later.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts