Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Opinion time guys.

With the Shelby GT actually being put together by Shelby American and the GT500 not being touched by Shelby at all, which car will ultimately be more valuable? The GT500 or the Shelby GT?

My vote is with the Shelby GT since the cars made by Ford from 1968-1970 seem to be much less popular than the cars made by Shelby from 1965-1967.

·
Registered
888 Posts
The Shelby GT will be the rarer of the two and you may be right with your vote. But, would you trade your GT500 for a Shelby GT? I wouldn't! Are you planning to sell your GT500/Shelby GT, in other words, are you looking at it as an investment? I plan to keep my GT500 until I die barring something unforeseen. I have always thought that it would at least bring my family a decent return after I am gone though.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Well, Car & Drive didn't take much of a shine to it: Car & Driver Shelby GT Article

Then again, it is Car & Driver, so take it with a grain of salt.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Rarity does not equal resale value.

If you just look at the ADMs being paid on the two cars and the current resale values for the two, it paints a pretty good picture of which is more desired by the public at large. They will both hold thier value much better than standard GTs but I doubt you will ever see the value of SGTs surpass that of same year GT500s.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Opinion time guys.

With the Shelby GT actually being put together by Shelby American and the GT500 not being touched by Shelby at all, which car will ultimately be more valuable? The GT500 or the Shelby GT?

My vote is with the Shelby GT since the cars made by Ford from 1968-1970 seem to be much less popular than the cars made by Shelby from 1965-1967.[/QUOTE

IT not all about how rare the car is or who made it as to its future value. Part of the price of the pre Ford made Shelbys is the lore that surrounds them. Shelby had the world by the tail in racing, the cars were made in the LA airport, he had the idea of putting the biggest engine you could find in the lightest car you could make. That all adds up to what people are paying for the older cars now. Look at what a Dodge Charger Hemi is going for. They were factory cars but its the lore that comes with them that put some of them in the millions of dollars.
My personal feeling is the Shelby GT's arent going to make it just because they have Shelbys name on them (or the GT500 ). Unless they can make a reputation with them with a 600 hp engine or some big racing wins they will go the way of the Rambler Scrambler. Shelby also did the Sunbeam Tigers and you can pick up a nice one for 30k.
Shelby GT...... its a mustang GT with a few patches on it not much else. But their will always be people who freak out just because Shelby was somehow associated with it.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Opinion time guys.

My vote is with the Shelby GT since the cars made by Ford from 1968-1970 seem to be much less popular than the cars made by Shelby from 1965-1967.
Is a premium being paid for the shelby american cars? Supply and demand is the normal reason for price appreciation,but Carrol Shelby's legacy is going to be part of this equation. I bought some tickets for Carrol Shelbys gt500 raffle. That car will be higher than either of the two examples you stated. I think the gt500 will skyrocket in price due to its performance. GGBIW:D

·
Registered
213 Posts
why not get the 40th anniversary package, then you have the gt500 and the shelby autos.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
i didnt know we were tlaking cost effective, i like the package and bcuz you can put half down to reserve a spot and pay the other half upon completion it makes it much more feasible. plus then its 1 in 1000, and in three years after 30000 are built there are still only 1000 40th anv.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
i didnt know we were tlaking cost effective, i like the package and bcuz you can put half down to reserve a spot and pay the other half upon completion it makes it much more feasible. plus then its 1 in 1000, and in three years after 30000 are built there are still only 1000 40th anv.
Not bashing. Just making an observation. I agree that the GT500 40th Aniv package would probably give you the most exclusive version. I just don't feel the upgrades you get are worth $12K.

·
Registered
127 Posts
It depends on your definition of valuable. After driving my GT 500 almost everyday going up and down the mountain on which I live and then a short stretch on an almost empty freeway there is no comparison in my mind on which is more valuable.......:D :D :D :D ...... GT 500 by a landslide and a cloud of dust. :) :) :)

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
It depends on your definition of valuable. After driving my GT 500 almost everyday going up and down the mountain on which I live and then a short stretch on an almost empty freeway there is no comparison in my mind on which is more valuable.......:D :D :D :D ...... GT 500 by a landslide and a cloud of dust. :) :) :)
I wish I had one to drive everyday. :(

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
I wish I had one to drive everyday. :(

I can tell you are still Prez.Does this mean the glass is 1/2 empty again?We will never get a suitable replacement for you.;)

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I can tell you are still Prez.Does this mean the glass is 1/2 empty again?We will never get a suitable replacement for you.;)
I've had a bad day. To many idiots at work today. Stupid people bug me. I'll try to be more cheerful.

On a plus-side. I bought my season tix to the Colorado Rockies today. Opening day is April 2nd!

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
I've had a bad day. To many idiots at work today. Stupid people bug me. I'll try to be more cheerful.

On a plus-side. I bought my season tix to the Colorado Rockies today. Opening day is April 2nd!

Sorry,I don't mean to rub you the wrong way.You have waited a long time.Just remember you can't fix stupid.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
...Just remember you can't fix stupid.
True, but if we implemented an IQ requirement for procreation, stupid people would be weeded out of the gene pool through attrition. :D

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
True, but if we implemented an IQ requirement for procreation, stupid people would be weeded out of the gene pool through attrition. :D

There are many cultures that have tried this in the past but it is frowned upon.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I know the mountain road you get to drive. Lucky you GGBIW:)

·
Registered
127 Posts
I know the mountain road you get to drive. Lucky you GGBIW:)

Yep, it is really a pleasure just driving to and from the office.....:) :) :)

GGBIW....Did you get my PM answer to your PM ?

·
Registered
275 Posts
Yep, it is really a pleasure just driving to and from the office.....:) :) :)

GGBIW....Did you get my PM answer to your PM ?
Yes I did. I have an appointment with cal pers on setting my retirement date.I do want to accomadate your request though so lets hook up and get this done. I used to ride my harelys on that stretch of road in my younger days.Many fond memorys. Have a nice day, GGBIW:)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts