Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

What Kind of Modifications do you have on your Shelby?

• No Modifications

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • Cosmetic Only like Tinted Windows Fluid Caps Etc

Votes: 5 14.3%
  • Engine Modifications

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Suspension Modifications

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Any or All of the above Modifications

Votes: 17 48.6%
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems that my Shelby may become very rare. It is currently completely stock. Where do you all stand on mods and future value.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I'm making mods but keeping all the stock parts. At this point, mine could be returned to stock in about 2 hours.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
It seems that my Shelby may become very rare. It is currently completely stock. Where do you all stand on mods and future value.
At 30,000 plus units, I am sure you are not alone. Unless you were just born, doubt you will experience a windfall or any real profit at all. I have stated in many posts and discussions on this subject, if you are looking for an investment, look elsewhere. Just my opinion. I believe this is just the beginning for Ford and Shelby and that will surely dilute the value.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is not my kids inheritance. I am definitely driving it and will modify it after the first of the year. Just thought this might be a fun Poll.

·
Registered
489 Posts
I had originally planned to leave mine stock, but I had to personalize it! I have kept all of the OEM stuff, also. I do think the ones that are not modified will be the rarer ones!

·
Registered
765 Posts
I just painted by rear axle last weekend - no longer a stock and rusting. I can't afford any expensive mods - still paying off the loan. I got the dealer to tint my windows at delivery and plan to paint my side mirrors. I may be game for a CAI, mufflers and a tune in the future.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Moddin&Drivin. I don't have any children, so Whoever gets what's left will be able to drive it about 1 mile before it falls apart completely. That way eveyone will know I got all the fun out of it I could!!

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
At 30,000 plus units, I am sure you are not alone. Unless you were just born, doubt you will experience a windfall or any real profit at all. I have stated in many posts and discussions on this subject, if you are looking for an investment, look elsewhere. Just my opinion. I believe this is just the beginning for Ford and Shelby and that will surely dilute the value.
DITTO!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
I had originally planned to leave mine stock, but I had to personalize it! I have kept all of the OEM stuff, also. I do think the ones that are not modified will be the rarer ones!
I'm with you. Nancy is getting aware that the storage space in the shed in dwindling :eek: :eek: :eek: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Not sure why anyone would think these are going to go up in value. The 1967 & 68 cars, only, what 8000 units of both were built and how many survived to this day, and at at least 20,000 units for 07 & 08, this ia a large number of cars that have seen the dealer mark-ups coming down. In OC, California, the dealers are advertising the cars in the paper, which never happened before.

So if you were looking for an investment, wrong car to get. The KR, now at a 100 units, that's another story.

just my buck worth........ 2 cents is not worth the copper, if any, it's forged with :D

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Not sure why anyone would think these are going to go up in value. The 1967 & 68 cars, only, what 8000 units of both were built and how many survived to this day, and at at least 20,000 units for 07 & 08, this ia a large number of cars that have seen the dealer mark-ups coming down. In OC, California, the dealers are advertising the cars in the paper, which never happened before.

So if you were looking for an investment, wrong car to get. The KR, now at a 100 units, that's another story.

just my buck worth........ 2 cents is not worth the copper, if any, it's forged with :D
I don't think it's exactly fair to compare 8,000 of late 60's models to 20,000 07/08 models. If you look at it in terms of economies of scale, I don't think today's 20K is all that much more than 1960's 8K. There are a lot more automotive consumers today than there were in the 60's, so proportionally, 8K vs. 20K is not really a 2 to 5 ratio. I might guess it could be closer to 2 to 3.

I'm not saying today's Shelbys will immediately increase in value, but they definitely will hold their value well. Additionally, I think we could possibly see increased value sooner than you might think.

Just my $0.02

·
Registered
22 Posts
rpretzel

Interesting to see that your GT500 is exactly same combi as mine, Vista blue with Tungsten stripes.

I am now completely stock, but tempted to do the Power upgrade via CAI and tune as well as handling upgrade as I feel the stock ride height is too high. And CAI is a good option.

How did you go about the JLT and tune? Is there warranty on this, as I am now looking at going Ford racing route due to warranty.

Thanks

·
Registered
489 Posts
My thinking is pretty much in line with the Prez. I don't expect my car to increase in value, but I think it will maintain a decent value. In my case, I never expected to sell the Shelby in my lifetime. Of course, I know things can come up to change all that, but my plan was to keep it as long as I was alive and let my family figure out what to do with it after that. I never considered it an investment, but I did think it would give my family a decent return after I was out of the picture.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
rpretzel

Interesting to see that your GT500 is exactly same combo as mine, Vista blue with Tungsten stripes.

I am now completely stock, but tempted to do the Power upgrade via CAI and tune as well as handling upgrade as I feel the stock ride height is too high. And CAI is a good option.

How did you go about the JLT and tune? Is there warranty on this, as I am now looking at going Ford racing route due to warranty.

Thanks
Vista Blue/Tungsten is the best color combo. Not only is it pretty rare (only 119 coupes), it's also the fastest! :D

I got the JLT and tune from Evolution Performance. Installed it myself. The warranty issue is a tough one. It really depends on your dealer, but any modification has the potential to cause warranty problems...Even something from Ford Racing. I'm not really worried about it at this point. These engines are very stout. The odds of a CAI & Tune causing a problem are very low.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You missed the point. Never said they would decrease, but they are not an investment with a, what, somewhere around a 1000 return. All I was saying is that this car is the wrong investment. I got mine, don't drive it much, since April=2000 miles. It is my toy, that is all............. What people are forgetting is that this demand for hotrods is fueled by the baby boomers. You go to shows, do you see a lot of gen X & y's??, I don't.

What is the age of everyone on this site?? I'm 44. I missed the hotrod craze, but I'm not retired and in my second mid-life. I'm in my first and this car is my crisis, for now. Maybe I'll get lucky in 20years and get someones 67/68 GT500 for less than they are going now. Just being real.......... When I dream, I'm usally fighting a dragon :D :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have done just bolt on mods and can take it back to stock in a few hours.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am deffinitely not planning to retire on the wealth I get from my Shelby. Bolt on Mods such as CAI are in my future....Maybe a suspension mod because of the ride height. It would not take long to put it back if I wanted to.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have heard rumor that the '08 will be the final year for the GT500, has anyone else heard this? For a small donation I sent my window sticker and driver side sun visor in to The Carroll Shelby Childrens Foundation to be signed by Mr. Shelby, has anyone else here sent any items in? I bought my car to drive, and I am saving all the original parts, but I'm also putting on the stuff that makes me grin. So far I have done

Carroll Shelby 10" rear, 9" front 20" wheels with Nittos
One piece alum drive shaft w/ safety loop
new coil packs
Lakewood traction goodies
Polished aluminum coolant and power steering fluid tanks
Kenne Bell Stage 3 (658 RWHP/775~flywheel)

·
Registered
837 Posts
All-

I'm with ShelbyTom and Ginson. Its my daily driver - I have no other car, but wanted this one BAAADDD. Finally got mine and I'm loving every minute of it. Never know of some granny is going to pull out and crash into it me, or worse. Its no investment. Will it be a collector's item? Who knows, I am no Jay Leno. I wish I had 2 so I could race them just to PROVE permorfnace white, as we all know, is the fastest color....

Ginson3 - how do you like the new wheels/tire combo??? Any pics? What wheels did you get? What size tires are you using? The spinning tire issue is bad - some folks have even been issued citations!!! (Course the lead lined loafers can't be to blame!)

I am in FL and there is only rain, no snow, but wet pavement performance is certainly a critical issue since this is my daily driver. I just would like to know, what folk using the NITTO tires think about the wet pavement performance....

TD

1 - 20 of 24 Posts