Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the subcontractors I use in my auto business saw me pull up in my 06 Mustang GT yesterday (regular GT, not a GT500 (yet)) and we got to talking about Mustangs. He walks me over to the garage next to his shop and opens to door... its a 07 GT500 conv. with 15 miles (so he says and it sure looked new) and all the plastic still on the seats, sticker, and all. He says its his investment and it won't be driven... ever.

To each his own, but to me it seems a big waste.

I have to believe that a ton of people bought the GT500s and parked them, so I wonder what that will do to the "collector value" down the road. In old muscle cars its so rare to find one with low miles that they get huge money, beacuse no one put them away... but if a ton of people had stored '67 GT500s would they still bring as much money? Who knows. I just thought I'd share the sighting. :)

So in 20 years if you want to know where a GT500 conv. is stashed, just ask.

Mike

·
Registered
150 Posts
I can appreciate the mystique and ambience which would surround a virgin GT500 a few years down the road.... but ONLY IF I had another GT500 to drive every day. Driving this car is an addiction, the good kind.

He%% I get depressed if it rains for 2 days and I can't properly exercise the beast..... now 3K miles after only 2 months.
Mike, did you manage to score a shelby dealer allocation yet?

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Doubt he will live long enough to see a good return on his investment, but then again I have been wrong before.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't have a deal locked up yet, but a few thngs in the works.

Its hard for me... I'm like a polotitian (I keep flip-flopping)
On one hand I've been a Shelby fan for a long time and just love the things and I can't afford any other Shelby (like an old one).

Then I look at my 06 GT Mustang with its Saleen blower and other upgrades that puts down about 400 RWHP and think... is the huge money difference worth it?

I think the kicker for me is that with some minor mods a GT500 can have nutz-o power. Yup... I just resold myself.

·
Registered
275 Posts
One of the subcontractors I use in my auto business saw me pull up in my 06 Mustang GT yesterday (regular GT, not a GT500 (yet)) and we got to talking about Mustangs. He walks me over to the garage next to his shop and opens to door... its a 07 GT500 conv. with 15 miles (so he says and it sure looked new) and all the plastic still on the seats, sticker, and all. He says its his investment and it won't be driven... ever.

To each his own, but to me it seems a big waste.

I have to believe that a ton of people bought the GT500s and parked them, so I wonder what that will do to the "collector value" down the road. In old muscle cars its so rare to find one with low miles that they get huge money, beacuse no one put them away... but if a ton of people had stored '67 GT500s would they still bring as much money? Who knows. I just thought I'd share the sighting. :)

So in 20 years if you want to know where a GT500 conv. is stashed, just ask.

Mike
Ditto. Only difference is I'm having it upgraded to a supersnake .To each their own.People buy homes,stocks ,artwork,etc. for investments. Why not a rare car such as a supersnake,limited edition,numbered,Carroll Shelby car? GGBIW

·
Registered
938 Posts
My opinion on investment is you would be better off using your money now on 401Ks, mutual IRAs, ect, and or other things than a GT 500 that is screaming for attention. I can't believe that cars are the best return on your money VS. using your $$$$ for the next 20 to 30 years. I bought mine for me my family so we can experience memories while driving it to different events such as the AAI and Romeo tour what a great time. Thats my 2cents.

·
Registered
888 Posts
ggbiw,
I respect your decision, but even if I was financially able to own a car that I did not have to drive, it would be hard for me to keep this one parked! If you have the luxury of affording a couple of them, well, I could see saving one for the future would be easier. For me, the future is now!
The fact is, your car belongs to you and you are not required to justify what you choose to do with it to any of us! Another owner told me Friday night that he gets a great deal of enjoyment just looking at his Shelby sitting in the garage! I fully understand that! I go out just to look at mine sometimes and I always get a great big grin just from looking! He has about 6k less miles on his than I have on mine. But, oh, have I enjoyed those 6k miles!
Enjoy your car the way you want to! I love your decision to go Super Snake! That is an option that is just plain out of my reach! Best of luck to you!

·
Registered
275 Posts
My opinion on investment is you would be better off using your money now on 401Ks, mutual IRAs, ect, and or other things than a GT 500 that is screaming for attention. I can't believe that cars are the best return on your money VS. using your $$$$ for the next 20 to 30 years. I bought mine for me my family so we can experience memories while driving it to different events such as the AAI and Romeo tour what a great time. Thats my 2cents.
That is your opinion.None of us know the future as far as investments. The reason I can afford to do this IS because I already did those investments. I put the MAXIMUM in my Deffered compensation for my retirement for many years.What you believe is irrevelant as far as the future is concerned. I bought mine for my familly as well. Just a different approach. I believe these cars will SKYROCKET in value as they are a defined commodity. It is known through out the world who Carroll Shelby is. You that are enjoying your cars now will not participate in what I see happening. No one knows the future except the lord. I enjoy my family everyday and don't judge your way of enjoying your car. Will purchase a 2008 GT500KR if the lord allows me to.That's my 2 cents worth. GGBIW:D

·
Registered
275 Posts
ggbiw,
I respect your decision, but even if I was financially able to own a car that I did not have to drive, it would be hard for me to keep this one parked! If you have the luxury of affording a couple of them, well, I could see saving one for the future would be easier. For me, the future is now!
The fact is, your car belongs to you and you are not required to justify what you choose to do with it to any of us! Another owner told me Friday night that he gets a great deal of enjoyment just looking at his Shelby sitting in the garage! I fully understand that! I go out just to look at mine sometimes and I always get a great big grin just from looking! He has about 6k less miles on his than I have on mine. But, oh, have I enjoyed those 6k miles!
Enjoy your car the way you want to! I love your decision to go Super Snake! That is an option that is just plain out of my reach! Best of luck to you!
It is very hard not driving it. I did purchase a 2007 V6 that I will put the parts on from the conversion. Will put the vortech supercharger on it bringing it up to 330 Hp.IF the lord allows me to own the 2008 GT500KR I will drive it AFTER I supersnake it. You come into this world with NOTHING and leave in like manner. EVERYTHING I own is because of JESUS. Including my job! I know I don't have to explain or justify my position but I am a member of this forum and do enjoy all of the posts and don't want to come across like I'm better than anyone. I'm not. Just love Carroll Shelby And Henry Ford. GGBIW;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think the Shelbys all have the chance to be good collector cars. I (IMO) don't think they will skyrocket because too many have been put away for this purspose. When the day comes to "sell" there will be tons of stored GT500s coming out of garages and this will keep the prices in line (I live in nowhereville Maine and I now know of 2 GT500s that are stored within a 20 mile radius!). Its a supply and demand thing.
If thousands of collectors had put away Hemi Cudas in 1971 and they were all on the market today, the prices for Cudas would not be where they are.
If only 2 guys had put away GT500s they would win big... but tons of people are speculating, and that means supply will be there. It just my opinion.
They sure are a better investment than any other new car though.:) :)

·
Registered
275 Posts
I think the Shelbys all have the chance to be good collector cars. I (IMO) don't think they will skyrocket because too many have been put away for this purspose. When the day comes to "sell" there will be tons of stored GT500s coming out of garages and this will keep the prices in line (I live in nowhereville Maine and I now know of 2 GT500s that are stored within a 20 mile radius!). Its a supply and demand thing.
If thousands of collectors had put away Hemi Cudas in 1971 and they were all on the market today, the prices for Cudas would not be where they are.
If only 2 guys had put away GT500s they would win big... but tons of people are speculating, and that means supply will be there. It just my opinion.
They sure are a better investment than any other new car though.:) :)
The GT500Kr will have a run of about 1000 to 2000,Yet to be determined by Carroll Shelby. It's asking price is 100K and up. How many GT500's will get the 725 HP supersnake upgrade? Supply and demand for sure. Most will STAY a GT500 that are parked. My car will get the FULL package. How many 725 Supersnakes are in air circulated car capsules? I agree many GT500's but FEW Supersnakes with 19 miles on them let alone the 725 HP package as most will go for the 650 HP for warranty AND insuranceability. Hard to insure a car in EXCESS of 650HP. Mine is insured as an investment so no problem. I seriously doubt there will be tons of 725 HP Supersnakes NOT DRIVEN. Bet a dollar to a donut it will skyrocket. GGBIW:D

·
Registered
73 Posts
a guy that bought an orange / white from me at the dealership added it his collection,

mine was his 23rd

he said he had 2 orange, one with tung and one with white, but he liked the white so much he had to have too

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
a guy that bought an orange / white from me at the dealership added it his collection,

mine was his 23rd

he said he had 2 orange, one with tung and one with white, but he liked the white so much he had to have too
Now I am confused? Where's this going as to collector's $$$. Like I have said in soo many posts, put your money else where for return on investment. This car should be driven not looked at as an investment. I will be long dead and gone long before I could cash in on Time capsules and the like. Enjoy The Moment, as the moment is NOW! Shucks, wish I had second gear.:D :D

·
Registered
861 Posts
Now I am confused? Where's this going as to collector's $$$. Like I have said in soo many posts, put your money else where for return on investment. This car should be driven not looked at as an investment. I will be long dead and gone long before I could cash in on Time capsules and the like. Enjoy The Moment, as the moment is NOW! Shucks, wish I had second gear.:D :D
Couldn't be said any better. I am 31 and I figure it will take at least 30yrs for the car to be worth anything and by then I will 61. If I don't have my money straight by then, I did something wrong in life. I am not going to gamble or hope for an imvestment out of a car that everyone is banking on. I live for today and enjoy my car today because I might be gone tomorrow. I consider myself luck to even have one. I am just a regular joe with regular wages. I wish that I did have the money to supersnake my car. That will be well worth it.....I think they said that they are only going to make 1000 of them. If you are going to sit on one that would be the one!

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I'm driving mine everyday. Its my only car. To each their own, but I'd find it hard not to drive. As far as the future, who knows. We could run out of gasoline! :eek:

Rick

·
Registered
642 Posts
TrickyDick,

So you're one who drives their Shelby everyday? Haven't got mine yet, but I can certainly see how one would want to drive it everyday. I'm thinking that I'm going to need another commuter car, because I drive about 70 miles round-trip to work everyday and I just can't see putting that many miles on it. As far as the 'one for the garage issue'...to hell with that. From the beginning, I never envisioned myself spending the next 20 years or so in my garage sitting in my 'investment' car, imagining what it would be like to see what it's got. I'm driving mine till the living end....That's all I have to say about that. ;)

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I'm sure I'm not the only one driving it everyday. Its really my only car, though there are some days and times that I'd prefer to have a different vehicle (mostly because I'd worry about parking the Shelby somewhere it might get vandalised or worse), I am certainly not complaining. I love to drive it, and so does my wife. I love the avatar of PDK I think with the whole family in the car. My kids too love to ride in it. I live in Florida, so the weather is fine, aside from rain, which is no problem. (though I have wondered about rainwater entering the hood vents and potentially causing problems).

Rick

·
Registered
642 Posts
I could definitely see worrying about parking the car at certain places. Door dings, shopping carts, etc. :( I don't have mine yet, but I could also imagine that sometimes there are people hovering around your car whenever you come out of whatever store you're at. I'm sure there are a lot of things to consider whenever you're driving it each day. So hats off to you for driving it everyday. That's what owning a Shelby is all about. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
My kids love driving in my GT500 and naming out GTs and verts on the road, bringing them up the Ford way. Honestly guys , having the Baddest rod on the road is what this car is all about and everybody knowing it. I drive mine 3 times a week most of the time by myself and it takes me back to the hey day when muscle cars ruled the roads. Those of you who don't drive them are really missing out what this car is all about, yes this is my opinion but if you got the car for an investment you could make more money in the market in 20to 30yrs your return will far greater then taking your chance's on any type of auto. Im thinking of trading my 04 Focus for a pony and modding it to look like my GT500 for a DD. its just that much fun for me. Enjoy your cars which ever way you chose . Happy motoring:)

·
Registered
275 Posts
My kids love driving in my GT500 and naming out GTs and verts on the road, bringing them up the Ford way. Honestly guys , having the Baddest rod on the road is what this car is all about and everybody knowing it. I drive mine 3 times a week most of the time by myself and it takes me back to the hey day when muscle cars ruled the roads. Those of you who don't drive them are really missing out what this car is all about, yes this is my opinion but if you got the car for an investment you could make more money in the market in 20to 30yrs your return will far greater then taking your chance's on any type of auto. Im thinking of trading my 04 Focus for a pony and modding it to look like my GT500 for a DD. its just that much fun for me. Enjoy your cars which ever way you chose . Happy motoring:)
I bought a 2007 black v6. Will put the gt500 parts on it removed from the supersnake upgrade. The stock market could tank as well as go up also. No one knows.The dollar could collapse at the same time. Hard assets skyrocket in that scenario. Could pay off the mortgage with worthless dollars . Only god knows. I know I won't LOSE money on a supersnake,perfect,new. GGBIW

1 - 20 of 20 Posts