Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Premium Member
2007 GT500 Torch Red/White custom
Discussion Starter #1
If I owned a gt350 and had the means I would do this. One awesome machine. 馃挭

Registered
That's just their base package. Love my guys up there at FatFab.

Registered
Plenty of supercharged and turbocharged GT350's making 800whp with the stock trans. Over that package though they suggest a T56 upgrade. The little TR3160 is actually pretty strong and more than enough for street duty. In regards to the build number serial plaque, they've built enough of them that it's worth keeping track. Ben has posted photos of up to 6 GT350's in their shop at a time getting one of their kits installed

Registered
Plenty of supercharged and turbocharged GT350's making 800whp with the stock trans. Over that package though they suggest a T56 upgrade. The little TR3160 is actually pretty strong and more than enough for street duty. In regards to the build number serial plaque, they've built enough of them that it's worth keeping track. Ben has posted photos of up to 6 GT350's in their shop at a time getting one of their kits installed

You know what the Torque rating is for the Stocker right? It's basically Maxed out with Stock Power. Just because there's plenty doesn't mean it's prudent.
That said, if you're just doing the odd highway pull and polishing, it should hold up, for a while.... Fingers Crossed 馃

Registered
You know what the Torque rating is for the Stocker right? It's basically Maxed out with Stock Power. Just because there's plenty doesn't mean it's prudent.
That said, if you're just doing the odd highway pull and polishing, it should hold up, for a while.... Fingers Crossed 馃
The 800R package is more of a street package anyway since it's built on the mostly stock long block while the 1000R and up packages get the built engines, transmission swaps, and the move to Motec and are more configured for competition.

The highest spec TR6060 from tremec is only built to handle 650ft/lb according to Tremec and we've all seen GT500's,ZL1's, and Corvettes making well over 650 ft/lb to the wheel on the factory transmission. While the TR3160 is only rated for 405 lb/ft basically every supercharged GT350 out there is still running the stock transmission and I've yet to see any reports of transmission failures.

#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
Even if I had no warranty, I'd be reluctant to add even an additional 100 hp to my GT350, which is already at a high level of HP and torque. If one is willing to take the risk of engine destruction or other mechanical failures brought on by the increased power of the engine, it's okay by me; however, I think the Ford engineers build in a certain amount of wiggle room on anything they design so it will have a good deal of longevity. Once we step over that design line, I think, for the most part, we are exponentially increasing the chance that failures are in the near future. I always remember my Dad watching me feverously making suspension changes to my auto-crossing Falcon in the garage and simply stating, "Son, do you think you know more than those Ford engineers?" The domino effect always seemed to plague me during those years. Pushing the GT350 engine to 800 HP has got to be a thrill to drive until it isn't. I'm no longer willing to travel that well worn path!

Premium Member
^^I"m right there with you Mike. I think the balance of power and chassis my R has is spot on perfect. The car is planted, fast and very confident inspiring to drive.

The recent Ford Performance products are no joke from the factory. Very complete packaged cars. My car will stay stock. The only thing I plan on doing is putting miles on it and smiles on my face.

Premium Member
2013 Shelby GT500 performance white
Fathouse fabrications has been around for a while. They just so happen to specialize in the TwinTurbo set up. Whether you send your Shelby GT500 To Shelby American and make it a super snake or to fathouse fabrications to make it a TwinTurbo both shops know what they鈥檙e doing.

#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
Ron, I don't doubt that they know what they're doing. Most of the aftermarket companies are quite mechanically competent. That said, I think they push the envelope of what these engines are designed to handle. Think about it. They charge substantial fees to the customer for adding turbo's or superchargers to the cars. What kind of warranty do they provide the customer after the modifications are complete? I don't see much talk on forums about how aftermarket companies backed up or warrantied damage caused when the engine self-destructs. Just saying that they are in business to sell their product and make money. What happens to the customer's cars afterwards doesn't appear to be a cause for great concern. There's always another customer waiting in the wings.

Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 Rapid Red/black 2011 Kona Blue/white
FYI, @f2redpot, a local friend of mine with a 2013 Super Snake, blew his engine running his car hard at an event at the Daytona racetrack. When he told me, I told him his car鈥檚 fuel delivery system was not up to the task resulting in a lean condition. I鈥檝e seen it a few times on the forum here through the years. He had a shop tear down the engine to diagnosis it and they agreed with my assessment. His Super Snake was modded by Shelby American in Vegas.

As delivered from the factory, our cars have a power level that lends themselves to good fun yet are reliable. Ford puts a lot of R&D into making reliable performance. Aftermarket companies deliver what customers want, but they can not replicate the level of dependability that comes from the factory. They turn up the wick to put smiles on faces, but those smiles come with risk.

Premium Member
2013 Shelby GT500 performance white
I agree with you Mike, Tim, and Eric! If I had any one of the new cars you all own, I would Leave it stock. The engineers at Ford know what they are doing. I was just making the point that having a TwinTurbo set up at Fathouse fabrications is equivalent to having a super snake build at Shelby American. I feel they are both professional shops, but an individual does take a risk when they upgrade it from the factory. The only reason I did not put a stock motor back in my car when I blew my motor, was because if I was going to spend over $20k I wanted to feel like I added value to the car. My motor was built to handle 1500 hp with McLeod 1200 RXT clutch, it makes my transmission and a differential the week links, and I鈥檓 still afraid I might blow my motor. 馃榿

Registered
Ron, I don't doubt that they know what they're doing. Most of the aftermarket companies are quite mechanically competent. That said, I think they push the envelope of what these engines are designed to handle. Think about it. They charge substantial fees to the customer for adding turbo's or superchargers to the cars. What kind of warranty do they provide the customer after the modifications are complete? I don't see much talk on forums about how aftermarket companies backed up or warrantied damage caused when the engine self-destructs. Just saying that they are in business to sell their product and make money. What happens to the customer's cars afterwards doesn't appear to be a cause for great concern. There's always another customer waiting in the wings.
Depends on the level of the build and the installer. Roush for instance offers a warranty on their supercharger setups if they're installed at a Ford dealer. Fathouse actually offers a 1 year/12,000 mile warranty on their package cars. Now if you go messing with the tune or swapping parts they'll void the warranty just like Ford will.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts