Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has any one changed the oil weight in there shelby,ford uses 5w 50 I was thinking of going to 15w 50.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Just to be safe, I suggest staying with the recommended oil, but if you live in a warm climate (CA or AZ) going to 15W50 should not cause any problems.

·
Premium Member
7,302 Posts
Has any one changed the oil weight in there shelby,ford uses 5w 50 I was thinking of going to 15w 50.
NO. It's 5 weight so it can move everywhere and lube everything easily. Especially when it's cooler/cold. AND 5w is environmentally superior because of less friction on the engine (he said, while getting 11mpg around town with his foot stuck through the firewall :cool: ).

Seriously, it's 5 weight for a reason. Don't screw with it.

bj

·
Registered
765 Posts
Even in AZ you are taking chances that it won't become cold. Last winter it got down in the 20's in PHX for several nights in a row - killed most of the Ficus trees around here and bursting water pipes.

Use what Ford recommends and it cannot be used against you if warranty issues arrise.

·
Registered
22 Posts
It has alot to do with the lifters and RPM. 5w so you get no lifter pump up. Some of the fastest mod motor cars at the track run 0w50 oil for this reason. As in 2000+HP cars.

·
Registered
147 Posts
It has alot to do with the lifters and RPM. 5w so you get no lifter pump up. Some of the fastest mod motor cars at the track run 0w50 oil for this reason. As in 2000+HP cars.
Well, I'm only trying it out for now. I changed to Royal Purple 5w30 and did pick up 4 more RWHP without drastically changing the tune. Just wanted to see what it would do.

That's just flip, yet I'm always different anyway.:D

flip

·
Registered
50 Posts
I am in the process of having the Moroso 7 Qt. pan pun on mine, along with some other goodies, and they strongly suggested to use the Ford Motocraft oil. I was told that their is an additive missing in some of the others such as Castrol Syntec which I used on my first change. I cannot say what the additive is, but Curtis at Archangel Motorsports, said he had had changed from the Castrol in his own personal GT500 and GT. It's a little pricy (~$90.00)/ case of 12, but I'm taking his advice.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I am in the process of having the Moroso 7 Qt. pan pun on mine, along with some other goodies, and they strongly suggested to use the Ford Motocraft oil. I was told that their is an additive missing in some of the others such as Castrol Syntec which I used on my first change. I cannot say what the additive is, but Curtis at Archangel Motorsports, said he had had changed from the Castrol in his own personal GT500 and GT. It's a little pricy (~$90.00)/ case of 12, but I'm taking his advice.
Check out K-Mans website $6.59 qt and he'll send out a case as well.

http://k-mansparts.com/items/mustang/filters~fluids/list.htm

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thanks fllaw1.

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts