Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I put this on Fri afternoon and 110 miles later on Sat morning there was this much oil in it. Is this excessive or "normal"?

Will the oil that has already blown into the s/c and intake eventually blow out?

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 Red Super Snake, 2019 Mustang GT
465 Posts
That seems like alot but I don't know.

Maybe you have a real lead foot and your in the boost all the time. :D

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
I'll blow it out for ya!:D

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I put this on Fri afternoon and 110 miles later on Sat morning there was this much oil in it. Is this excessive or "normal"?

Will the oil that has already blown into the s/c and intake eventually blow out?
It would be typical if you drove it hard (through the gears making boost ) a couple of times. But a bit excessive for normal everyday driving without going into boost.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I accumulated almost 2 Tablespoons worth after only 62 miles and I don't drive my car hard. It was clean oil though. These cars apparently pass quite a bit of oil through the PCV system.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I guess I'm, I mean Shelby is "normal". He ain't granny driven and it was Friday night :D

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
So I guess I'm, I mean Shelby is "normal". He ain't granny driven and it was Friday night :D

Nope,not Granny driven.We have pictures of you:D

·
Registered
611 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hey MSMAP,
Which oil separater did you go with and how does your set-up look.
Please post pictures !!!!

I am wanting to put one on my car.

Did you install it straight on the existing PCV tube, or did you locate it on your strut tower.

Thanks,
GTCPA

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
IMO Shelby is "Normal" - you might want to change the oil though :eek:
Your right about that 6speed . Because of the location of the intercooler on these cars it is extremely important to keep the oil from getting contaminated which could lead to inefficent HE opperation and increased IAT's.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I emptied out my catch can today after 64 miles of casual driving around town; I might have seen boost once during that distance and only for a very short duration.

My guess is a little more than 1 teaspoon was collected, but that's one teaspoon of oil that's not going through my intake.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Some of the oil passed to the intake is burned by combustion but some of it will accumulate on the SC and IC, and as Svtbird91 mentioned, will reduce the efficiency of the intercooler. Checkout Svtbird91's pictures of his TVS install and you will notice the oil - pretty compelling.

http://www.fordgt500.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1584

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
We have some pro's here.Fred from evo,whats your take on this?

·
Registered
2,400 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I was going to install a Steeda oil seperator, until I realized I would have to mount two. Maybe it is not such a bad idea? Kind of unsightly though.:(
Post #2
I only use a catch can on the passenger's side PCV line. From what I've been reading most of the oil comes from that side. I believe that under WOT, some oil may get in from the driver's side line as well - not sure though. However, I do know that my catch can does collect oil.

Here is a picture of my catch can setup.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
I accumulated almost 2 Tablespoons worth after only 62 miles and I don't drive my car hard. It was clean oil though. These cars apparently pass quite a bit of oil through the PCV system.
I was thinking
if you are losing 2 TBS per 62 miles, that means you lose a quart in 1984 miles, if you change your oil at 5000 miles, you would be 2.52 QUARTS low on oil. :eek:

I would suggest everyone regularly check your oil...I do anyway.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts