Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those of you who have changed your oil/filter, what do you do to keep oil from spilling all over the front cross member. Seems like the oil filter is right above the drivers side cross member, kind of a tricky place to change and not get oil spillage from the filter.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
I've heard of tinfoil, paper or plastic bags, or just cleaning it up afterwards.

It's just a poor location no matter what.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I've tried the plastic bag, I've tried the tin foil - ended up making a mess regardless. So I just wiped it up thoroughly. Next time I may try catching the oil from the filter in a low profile pan.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I cut a long thin piece of Cardboard up and slide it up under the filter as a V. Can either punch a hole in the bottom of the filter and let it drain out then take it off or undo it till it spills out a bit then take it off the rest of the way.

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help. I used that absorbable matt they sell at PepBoys for oil spills and just cut a section and stuck it under the oil filter. No mess at all.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Just had the oil changed at the dealer today (9060 miles).

Tech said oil is $150 for 7 qts. Said I should consider Mobil 1 when I run out the freebie changes I got when I bought the car. I recall reading a thread on this long ago, that Motorcraft was only approved oil without warrant issue - kind of funny since so many of us have extensively modded the cars, wonder how few use an unapproved oil though..

Anyway, was watching the tech change the oil and seems to be little problem with the drain plug, more so with the filter placement. Oil drained without hitting the crossmember - but this was on a lift, not just the front jacked up. filter was kind of messy - he sprayed some solvent/cleaner on the oily mess then blew dry with Compressed air when he was all done.

The VMP stock-look pulley worked GREAT! Tech had no clue it wasn't stock. They only servie 4 GT500s, and one of them had been trailered to the dealer for service, and the owner wouldn't let them start it, made them push it over to the lift (not sure what he was having done). I'd met the tech before and we started talking about his mustangs which led to talks about modifications. Tech said I could do a pulley, tune, shifter (forgot to ask about CAI) without warranty void!! I had removed the CAI just this morning and flashed back to stock. Had an error on the SCT tuner when trying to return to stock... I tried it again, and worked fine the second time - strange...

Was going to put the CAI back on when I got home, but the tech told me that their service guy would allow some flexibility on the warranty issues, which is when I started asking about the things I'd already done, more as an inquiry of what I could do without "voiding" the warranty (Also recall the thread about warranty only voided if they prove mods resulted in the failure)... I still have the shifter waiting to go in so I asked for a labor quote, and $120 was their price for installing the FRPP shifter.

This sounds a little steep to me, but maybe I am way off.... The shifter has been mocking me from its box since before Easter so I may just do it and hold off re-installing the CAI & tune until tomorrow - a tentative date for the install.

What do you all think about the price $120 to install?

TD

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
The VMP stock-look pulley worked GREAT! Tech had no clue it wasn't stock. I had removed the CAI just this morning and flashed back to stock. Had an error on the SCT tuner when trying to return to stock... I tried it again, and worked fine the second time - strange...

TD
Hold on...

So you took off the CAI, reflashed to the stock tune, but left on the smaller blower pulley? I know you left it on because it looks the same, but now that you reflashed to the stock tune, didn't you run the risk of problems with the smaller pulley on??

·
Registered
658 Posts
Dick, I think that $120. is a fair price when you consider the hourly labor rate @ the dealership most range from $90 to $125 depending on your region. I would pay the $120. if I didn't own a repair shop myself. Unless your a die hard do-it-your self fan, it sounds fair to me. just my 2 cents

·
Registered
658 Posts
Hold on...

So you took off the CAI, reflashed to the stock tune, but left on the smaller blower pulley? I know you left it on because it looks the same, but now that you reflashed to the stock tune, didn't you run the risk of problems with the smaller pulley on??
Good catch Joe, I didn't absorb that part until you caught it. Very valid point!

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Yep-

I flashed to stock tune and left the smaller blower pulley on. I drove to dealer like a grandma. and same on way back. I imagine that there is significant potential for running lean if you're under boost. Stock tune is richer I believe with no advance, and I was careful to drive without introducing boost, in which case, I think you'd probably be fine.

Next time I do this though, I am going to drive nearly to the dealer, and then flash to stock in a parking lot across the street or something.

I will see after I meet their service manager, particularly in light of my discussion with their tech today, if he'd agree to let me put on a Cold Air Kit and tune without a warranty issue. Then maybe I can avoid the situation entirely.

TD

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Yep-

I flashed to stock tune and left the smaller blower pulley on. I drove to dealer like a grandma. and same on way back. I imagine that there is significant potential for running lean if you're under boost. Stock tune is richer I believe with no advance, and I was careful to drive without introducing boost, in which case, I think you'd probably be fine.

Next time I do this though, I am going to drive nearly to the dealer, and then flash to stock in a parking lot across the street or something.

I will see after I meet their service manager, particularly in light of my discussion with their tech today, if he'd agree to let me put on a Cold Air Kit and tune without a warranty issue. Then maybe I can avoid the situation entirely.

TD
As long as you're not under boost, the smaller pulley shouldn't cause a problem. It only becomes an issue when you start jamming more air into the engine.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
As long as you're not under boost, the smaller pulley shouldn't cause a problem. It only becomes an issue when you start jamming more air into the engine.
Yeah, it was a tough ride to/from dealer knowing I couldn't get on it at all. Felt like I was a grandmother going to church on Sunday..

Talked to service manager today and I'm going to have them put the shifter in. I asked him about Cold Air intakes and he said OK, as long as it doesn't require a re-tune, and went on further to say that anything that alters the engine management system voids the warranty (again though we all know about the legality of that statement and that they must prove the mods resulted in the failure.) He said they've never done a shifter on a 6-speed before. I told him they'd need to drop the tranny to get at the top and he knew this. I'm going to bring him the install info from FRPP.

So it'll sit in the garage until tomorrow with the CAI on the bench and another granny drive.

Are any post-install test drives mandatory after a shifter install? This would certainly give me some pause at installing it given the circumstances.

TD

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
we all know about the legality of that statement and that they must prove the mods resulted in the failure.) TD
Actually it will end up being the other way around. They may deny the claim, then it will be YOUR responsibility to prove that the mods did NOT cause the failure.

I agree that if you can prove they didn't cause it, you can get them to pay...but they likely won't make it easy on you.

·
Registered
21 Posts
You can punch a hole in the bottom of the filter and let it drain before removal. Then when removing it, there is no mess.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts