Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2014 Ruby Red Metallic w/White racing stripes
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The light/suggestion/warning came up that I need an oil change. I am 3K miles from where Ford recommended I have it changed. I am guessing that it is a time thing unless a Shelby knows when the oil isn't working like it should.

If I am 3K miles away from what Ford recommended for me to get it changed, is the time or should I say the amount of time that important? It has been maybe 3 to 4 months since I have changed it.

Also if I can wait longer, how the Eff do you turn that warning off?

·
Registered
2013 Shelby GT500 Coupe, Triple Black
1,682 Posts
It's nothing but a timer. If it's on only 3-4 months since you changed, however, it sounds like it wasn't properly reset at that time.

You can simply reset it and drive on to your regularly scheduled change. Directions for reset are located on pg 99 of the Owner's Manual.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP on order 2011 Kona Blue/white
32,325 Posts
Yes, as Norton pointed out, there is a timer, which I believe is set to go off every 6 months regardless of miles. It sounds like yours didn’t get reset.

For what it’s worth, my Ford Racing Whipple upgrade package disabled my oil timer. I don’t change my oil every 6 months either. I change it more on an annual basis.

·
Premium Member
2012 SVTPP with a heavy dose of 2013 components
7,319 Posts
I just reset mine if I'm that far off from changing it. I track my vehicle maintenance on a phone app.

·
Premium Member
2014 Ruby Red Metallic w/White racing stripes
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks fellas, was hoping that was the case.

cheers

dave

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
FYI

So how does the system know when it's time for a change? Electronic sensors throughout the drive-train send information about engine revolutions, temperature and driving time to the car's computer. The data is run through a mathematical algorithm that predicts when the oil will begin to degrade. The light comes on well in advance, giving the owner time to get the car serviced.

Oil life monitoring systems have been around for several decades. They were introduced in General Motors vehicles in the late 1980s and have been phased in slowly, The average recommendation from the system for GM vehicles is 8,500 miles, Ford Recommends 7,500-8,500 miles

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
So how does the system know when it's time for a change? Electronic sensors throughout the drive-train send information about engine revolutions, temperature and driving time to the car's computer. The data is run through a mathematical algorithm that predicts when the oil will begin to degrade. The light comes on well in advance, giving the owner time to get the car serviced.
Some might work this way, but ours don't. I log ~4K miles/yr, changing the oil and reseting the Oil Life indicator before storing for the winter (usually in October). The car sits all winter without even being started (usually until March). If I don't remember to reset the Oil Life indicator AGAIN, when she comes out of hibernation, I get an oil change reminder within a month. Obviously, that has nothing to do with "engine revolutions, temperature, driving time" or "mathematical algorithms" that predict oil degradation; and everything to do with a timer that says it's been six months since the last change.

·
Registered
2014 GT500 Coupe SGM " 1 of 1 "
3,348 Posts
My 14 just turned 6 on Sept. 5th.
According to the " normal " scheduled maintenance:
" oil change - every 7500 miles OR 6 MONTHS, ( whichever comes first ) "
Should have been changed ( 12 ) times by now !!
I think I'm @ 6..

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
This is from Fords engineering tech manual

How Ford’s Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor system works
The Ford IOLM system is not just a simple oil quality sensor, but a software based, algorithm-driven device that takes into account various operating conditions of the engine to determine when the oil needs changing. Certain driving habits can affect the life of the oil, as well as driving conditions such as temperature and driving terrain. Lighter, more moderate driving conditions and temperature will require less frequent oil changes and maintenance, while more severe driving conditions will require more frequent oil changes and maintenance.

I would guess from your statement ford must factor in non running time. Condensation does form inside oil pans when a car is not running for extended periods of time.

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
This is from Fords engineering tech manual

How Ford’s Intelligent Oil-Life Monitor system works
The Ford IOLM system is not just a simple oil quality sensor, but a software based, algorithm-driven device that takes into account various operating conditions of the engine to determine when the oil needs changing. Certain driving habits can affect the life of the oil, as well as driving conditions such as temperature and driving terrain. Lighter, more moderate driving conditions and temperature will require less frequent oil changes and maintenance, while more severe driving conditions will require more frequent oil changes and maintenance.

I would guess from your statement ford must factor in non running time. Condensation does form inside oil pans when a car is not running for extended periods of time.
I'm not arguing what they claim - just describing my experience. I've owned the car since new (late 2012) and, whether it's parked, cruised on weekends, or raced hard, it's never deviated from recommending a change every 6 months. (I never hit the recommended mileage between changes.)

Your point about condensation is well-taken in many areas, but that's never a problem in our high-altitude arid climate.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Yes, as Norton pointed out, there is a timer, which I believe is set to go off every 6 months regardless of miles. It sounds like yours didn’t get reset.

For what it’s worth, my Ford Racing Whipple upgrade package disabled my oil timer. I don’t change my oil every 6 months either. I change it more on an annual basis.
Could it be a breakdown in which the oil gets worse? Or did the oil check system fail? If they forgot to reset the interval, should there be a warning all the time?

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP on order 2011 Kona Blue/white
32,325 Posts
Could it be a breakdown in which the oil gets worse? Or did the oil check system fail? If they forgot to reset the interval, should there be a warning all the time?
As soon as I flashed the Ford Racing tune, the oil counter went to 100% and froze. Same thing happened to another former member. I just change the oil when I get around to it. The car doesn’t get driven too many miles per year.

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
My oil change alert has been on for the past month but only around 3,000 miles since I bought the car.

I just got the oil changed last week and JEEZ I was not expecting the oil to be that much. I couldn't find 5w50 at the 3 parts stores I visited. The guy at O'reilly dug some super old looking quarts Mobil 1 out of the back, no thanks!! I ended up at the stealership again. Next time I will just order the oil online.

·
Registered
2012 gt500 Vert
146 Posts
Always change it late in the fall before putting the car down for winter regardless of mileage. Typically no more than 1200 miles.
Oil doesn't wear out. The impurities and acidity ofblow by is what hurts the motor.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts