Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just changed my oil and filter again, and I am adding 7 quarts of oil with the Motorsports 820 s upgraded filter......

Last year I remember adding mid 6 quarts, but this time I have added a full 7 quarts.

Anyone have their dipstick off on the reading?

Capacity is 6 quarts in the manual.....

Thanks!

Mike

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
I have just changed my oil and filter again, and I am adding 7 quarts of oil with the Motorsports 820 s upgraded filter......

Last year I remember adding mid 6 quarts, but this time I have added a full 7 quarts.

Anyone have their dipstick off on the reading?

Capacity is 6 quarts in the manual.....

Thanks!

Mike
Capacity should be 6.5 quarts with a filter change.

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
More is NOT better.

You'll froth the oil if you add too much - causing more problems than you care to have.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
More is NOT better.

You'll froth the oil if you add too much - causing more problems than you care to have.
I will spin off the filter and drain it!

At 7 quarts, I am jut to the top of the dipstic full mark..... Seems the dipstick is off.

I have heard of issues with over filling!!!! Don't want to have those!

Mike

·
Registered
643 Posts
I will spin off the filter and drain it!

At 7 quarts, I am jut to the top of the dipstic full mark..... Seems the dipstick is off.

I have heard of issues with over filling!!!! Don't want to have those!

Mike
Curious to know what type of oil you went with.

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
I have covered this in detail in the past.I will do it once more for the people that don't know.At the factory,when the engine is built,the 1st oil fill is 7.3 quarts.When you do it yourself or take it to the dealership,if the car is level it will take 6.5 quarts.If you are like me and raise the front end only you will be adding 7.0 quarts.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I have covered this in detail in the past.I will do it once more for the people that don't know.At the factory,when the engine is built,the 1st oil fill is 7.3 quarts.When you do it yourself or take it to the dealership,if the car is level it will take 6.5 quarts.If you are like me and raise the front end only you will be adding 7.0 quarts.
So are you saying an additional half a quart of oil is drained by raising the front of the car, therefore 7 quarts is needed?

·
Registered
208 Posts
i had an issue when i changed over to the billet covers which included a new dipstick handle. The new handle was the problem. Its diameter was too large preventing it from going into the tube all the way. Switched back to the stock handle problem solved.

LLoyd

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
So are you saying an additional half a quart of oil is drained by raising the front of the car, therefore 7 quarts is needed?

I am saying nothing more than this-Add 6.5 qts.Wait 15 minutes if it is low add a little more and do not go above the top fill line.:bandit:

·
Registered
271 Posts
When I picked up my car from the railyard Dec 06 ( i work for a dealership ) and did the PDI myself when I got the car home .. I noticed the oil was only 2/3rds of the way up the dipstick. I actually thought I had burned some oil . I have been putting 7 qts in and just recently changed my oil a week go and the dip stick is still only reading 3/4 full ... I had planned to put another 1/4 of a quart in but glad i read this ... you learn something every day ... dont go by your dip stick !

·
Registered
121 Posts
i ordered the ford racing oil filter and ford stated it takes 1/2 qt more oil than the stock filter.so 7qts sounds about right.

·
Registered
103 Posts
OK here is the BOTTOM LINE on this topic. From my teen years to my early twenties I worked my way through college as a manager at a big chain oil change place. Here is what is proven and should be followed. As far as dipsticks go, there is NO need to even pull it out when doing an oil change. Most dipsticks are wrong from the factory, and as long as you let your oil drain out for atleast 15 minutes and you change the filter, all you need to do is make exactly sure that you put on the correct filter and add only what the cars manual states you should add. Fire the car up and make sure your oil pressure gets to normal and leave it the **** alone. There is NO need to check the dipstick unless you want to see what your oil quality is at, not to check levels. They are almost all wrong, and adding more oil to make the dipstick happy is just retarted if you added the correct amount in the first place!?!?!! What you can do is to do what I stated above and when the car has been ran and totally cooled with the proper oil capacity added, check the dipstick level and make a mark on it with a razorblade to let you know where the correct level should be, also you can see if your car is consuming oil that way, but please dont add more if its showing low and you just added the correct amount during the change. Dont be stupid.

Brian

·
Registered
159 Posts
Just changed my oil this weekend for the first time and it took 7 quarts (as indicated on the useless dipstick). I used the high performance FL-820 filter as well.

Stew

·
Registered
159 Posts
The amount of oil required to overfill an engine crankcase is at least 1.5 quarts. I have worked on several motors that have been overfilled and they were at least 2 quarts over the recommended amount. There are several factors that will affect the amount of oil that is removed from the engine, for example I scavenge the oil pan with an evacuator pump. Some people elevate the front of the engine to allow more oil to be removed from the pan, some other people vary the height of the front end during the oil change therefore allowing very little oil to be left in the motor. You should add as much oil as you feel comfortable. I added 6 3/4 quarts to my oil pan, everyones oil change may be different. Using the argument "The manual says so" is rediculous. The manual is a general guideline only, every vehicle is different. I'm sure the manual tells you to add pulleys, CAI, TVS's and so on. Simply apply a little common sense and you will be fine.

Sorry for the long post.

Stew

1 - 20 of 22 Posts