Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Moderator Dude!
28,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just spoke with a rep (Peter) from Carbon Revolution. They are producing the CF wheels for the 2020 GT500. I asked if they will be selling them separately on the side. The answer was no! He said Ford owns the rights and tooling for the wheels and they cannot sell them on the side. He also said the wheel studs are different lengths for the base vs. CFTP cars, so it would be more involved than simply swapping wheels.

My next call was to Ford Performance. Noah stated that they will NOT be selling the wheels other than as replacements for damaged ones. I inquired about the CFTP wing as well. Noah stated the wing will not be sold either. He did say there will most likely be aftermarket versions, but the OE wing will not be sold.

·
Premium Member
255 Posts
Why does Ford make getting these things so effing difficult ? They could make plenty of money selling to folks who could swing it. This is why I am not in business

·
Moderator Dude!
28,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why does Ford make getting these things so effing difficult ? They could make plenty of money selling to folks who could swing it. This is why I am not in business
Good question... just passing along my findings.

·
#1 Mike!
8,656 Posts
Ford has been doing this in the past. I experienced the same thing in replacing my wheel on the 2011 GT500. Had to jump through some hoops to get a replacement from Ford. I'm sure they want to keep the CFTP pure so no one can duplicate it.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
This isn't that surprising as they've been doing the same thing with the carbon fiber wheels from the GT350R since 2015.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
There’s some good looking aftermarket whhels that look like the CF GT350R wheels, I think Project 6R is who makes them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
There’s some good looking aftermarket whhels that look like the CF GT350R wheels, I think Project 6R is who makes them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's what I'm running on my car. Not the most accurate copy, but I like the extra concavity.

·
Moderator Dude!
28,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did you order the track pack Tim? @Goose17
I tried, but got shot down. I found a small dealer that would sell me the car at MSRP. We submitted an order for a CFTP car, but it was rejected. You have to go through a large, high-volume dealer to get those cars and the high-volume dealers are all charging big markups, which I wasn’t willing to pay. I have a base car with added options to include the handling package. There are conflicting reports as to what is all included in the handling package. I bought an oil separator for the car already, but there is info out that states the separator may be included with the handling package cars. If that is the case, I’ll be selling one.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Just spoke with a rep (Peter) from Carbon Revolution. They are producing the CF wheels for the 2020 GT500. I asked if they will be selling them separately on the side. The answer was no! He said Ford owns the rights and tooling for the wheels and they cannot sell them on the side. He also said the wheel studs are different lengths for the base vs. CFTP cars, so it would be more involved than simply swapping wheels.

My next call was to Ford Performance. Noah stated that they will NOT be selling the wheels other than as replacements for damaged ones. I inquired about the CFTP wing as well. Noah stated the wing will not be sold either. He did say there will most likely be aftermarket versions, but the OE wing will not be sold.
Doesn't Anderson Composite make some OEM parts for the 2020 GT500? If so, they will have the Track Pack wing available in 2020

·
Premium Member
2,433 Posts
I appreciate that Ford does this otherwise it would ruin the exclusivity of the 2 seater carbon cars.

You’re not building a clone very easily if Ford has anything to do with it.

·
Moderator Dude!
28,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Doesn't Anderson Composite make some OEM parts for the 2020 GT500? If so, they will have the Track Pack wing available in 2020
I have been following their progress. They have released a bunch of CF parts for the 2020 at SEMA recently. Some of the parts are available from them directly and some are available from Ford Performance. They have not yet made the CFTP wing, but plan to make one once they get their hands on one. They make some good looking pieces!

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I don't believe Carbon Revolution makes the actual production wings, but they do have the replica wings for both the GT350, GT350R, and the new wing/spoiler combo that's on the 2019+ GT350 and the base model GT500's.

·
Banned
360 Posts
More Bizaro behavior from Ford. Customers who want to buy parts from Ford denied. Customers who want to buy cars from Ford denied..... all happening while if your name is Jay Leno here is a old Bronco with our new motor in it. John Senos - you need a Ford GT? Here ya go!

Meanwhile Fords real customers get eco junks and electric crap. Someone needs to turn the ship around at Ford before its too late. Maybe it already is.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
These wont clear GT500 brakes. I'm sure they'll offer something in 20" to clear the new larger brakes.

·
Registered
133 Posts
FWIW, there are actually places where carbon fiber is more of a hindrance than a help. From an overall performance point of view, carbon is hard to beat HOWEVER..from a maintenance point of view it's not as clear. We ran a Gt3R Porsche for several seasons, broke a steering rack at long beach and it shot right through the carbon fuel tank, damaging the bladder, at Utah, the driver hit a curb, driving a support through he carbon oil tank, which bled onto the headers, burring the car to the ground.
Drive shafts and wheels are a bit like that, while the style and performance is great, any type of road debris that bounces off the wheel or shaft, and damages the surface, should be addressed immediately. Usually, small nicks can be cleaned and then covered using some type of clear paint, if you let these go, eventually, water and oil will penetrate under the finish and cause the carbon to delaminate..leading to sometimes catastrophic failure.

·
Moderator Dude!
28,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
FWIW, there are actually places where carbon fiber is more of a hindrance than a help. From an overall performance point of view, carbon is hard to beat HOWEVER..from a maintenance point of view it's not as clear. We ran a Gt3R Porsche for several seasons, broke a steering rack at long beach and it shot right through the carbon fuel tank, damaging the bladder, at Utah, the driver hit a curb, driving a support through he carbon oil tank, which bled onto the headers, burring the car to the ground.
Drive shafts and wheels are a bit like that, while the style and performance is great, any type of road debris that bounces off the wheel or shaft, and damages the surface, should be addresses immediately. Usually, small nicks can be cleaned and then covered using some type of clear paint, if you let these go, eventually, water and oil will penetrate under the finish and cause the carbon to delaminate..leading to sometimes catastrophic failure.

Wow! Sorry to see your car burned. Thanks for the info.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts