Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
They were easy to install, but I think they are long!! The lower part of the car, the black section, melted because it rested against the muffler. Also, that @%^&*!$ left side does not want to sit correct. It sits to high.

I'm going to take it to a muffler shop to get them adusted.

Just a poll for those that have them. Do you find them too hummy?? I find them to sound a bit Rice Burnerish. Just my $500 bucks worth:)

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
They were easy to install, but I think they are long!! The lower part of the car, the black section, melted because it rested against the muffler. Also, that @%^&*!$ left side does not want to sit correct. It sits to high.

I'm going to take it to a muffler shop to get them adusted.

Just a poll for those that have them. Do you find them too hummy?? I find them to sound a bit Rice Burnerish. Just my $500 bucks worth:)

Sounds like they sent you the ones for the Mustang GT instead of the GT500.

·
Registered
938 Posts
I agree they sent the ones that fit the GT I had ordered a set last winter and noticed they rubbed against the plastic bottom so I sent them back.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got them from V8Power and they have said (packing slip & instructions from Bassani) they sent the correct ones. One thing I noticed is that the stock pipe has a cutoff for the pin that is in the pipe. These did not?? Should it be there?? I find it strange they are not there, considering these are supposed to be factory replacements.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I've had no melting issues with my Bassanis. I did have some trouble getting them to align correctly. I had to adjust the hangers a bit, and it took some trial and error.
Did you loosen the bolts at the x-pipe when you installed yours? That made adjusting the alignment much easier.

As for the sound, I really like mine. Nice low rumble, not a hollow, fart-can sound. I don't think they sound ricer at all. I've gotten lots of compliments.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Now that I have my Bassani 2.5's Installed, WHAT DID I DO WRONG???? UPDATE #1

Contacted Bassani. Made them really confused because they are stuck in "if the box says it, then what's in the box must be it" mode. Sent them some pics of the set-up and damage. Will see what they have to say tomorrow. Hopefully they stand behind their stuff!!!

For those that have installed them, did you remove the tab from the pipe before installing or did you leave it on?? Instructions do not say anything about it, though when installed, the pipe doesn't sit all the way down like the stock ones do to this tab. I got no answer on it and I would have thought it should come off.

Ron

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Re: Now that I have my Bassani 2.5's Installed, WHAT DID I DO WRONG???? UPDATE #1

Contacted Bassani. Made them really confused because they are stuck in "if the box says it, then what's in the box must be it" mode. Sent them some pics of the set-up and damage. Will see what they have to say tomorrow. Hopefully they stand behind their stuff!!!

For those that have installed them, did you remove the tab from the pipe before installing or did you leave it on?? Instructions do not say anything about it, though when installed, the pipe doesn't sit all the way down like the stock ones do to this tab. I got no answer on it and I would have thought it should come off.

Ron
I left the tab on and ran the new mufflers up to it and clamped it there.

I originally took it to a muffler shop and the guy doing the install cut a groove for the tab in one of them. By doing this, the muffler went on too far and the hangers did not line up. We thought they sent me the wrong ones also so I told him to re-install the original.

After I got home I crawled under the car with a new muffler and compared the original. It looked like it should fit fine.

The next day I decided to install them myself. I ran the new muffler up to the tab and clamped it down there and the hangers lined up and only had to loosen one pipe at the x-pipe for alignment.

I'm not at home tday to take measurements and pics but if I remember right my Bassanis are 16" long (not 100% sure though)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I left the tab as well. Ran the new mufflers right up to it. Mine look exactly like Harley's.

I have a feeling someone put the Mustang GT version in your GT500 box.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do the GT Mufflers look like the GT500's??

Also, the black spoiler? that I melted, I take it that it is sitting on the bumper by the ties and bolts that I see on the backside??

I tried to post pics, but had size issues. I will try and post to another site.

Ron

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Do the GT Mufflers look like the GT500's??

Also, the black spoiler? that I melted, I take it that it is sitting on the bumper by the ties and bolts that I see on the backside??

I tried to post pics, but had size issues. I will try and post to another site.

Ron

I don't know about the mufflers but the rear valance(that you melted) that isn't painted and the bumper that is painted is all 1 piece.

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
My mufflers are just under 16" long.

Here is a pic of the clearance I have from the back of the muffler to the valance.

Have you found out anything yet?

Attachments

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Here are the pics. You will have to go here and look under Shelby.
http://community.webshots.com/user/veezerboy?vhost=community

I messured mine and they are just under 16inches, so they sound like they are the same, so I'm not sure what's up:confused:

As for Bassani. I guess that the Holiday was more important than helping with my issue:mad: So I will have to wait and see what happens next week. As for now, I put the stock back on, cleaned up the melted sections, though was rather dis-heartened to see it is one whole piece. I guess if someone ever steels it, I will have an identifier:)

I'm not really interested in putting them back on, so I will probably go with my first choice and get the Ford Racing mufflers. That way if I have an issue, I can go to Ford.

If you see anything from the pics, give a yell:eek: this face was the closest to a yell look

Ron

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
After looking at my pictures, Bassani realized they had sent me GT mufflers for the 05-06 instead of GT500 mufflers, eventhough they and the box are clearly marked with the GT500 part number. I'm surprised a company like this has that poor of quality control!! They are going to give me the correct ones, but now comes the fun part of my melted bumper:(

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
After looking at my pictures, Bassani realized they had sent me GT mufflers for the 05-06 instead of GT500 mufflers, eventhough they and the box are clearly marked with the GT500 part number. I'm surprised a company like this has that poor of quality control!! They are going to give me the correct ones, but now comes the fun part of my melted bumper:(
Seems to me if Bassani admits to putting the wrong parts in the box, they should compensate you for the damage done to your car. Go get 'em, Veezer!

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Seems to me if Bassani admits to putting the wrong parts in the box, they should compensate you for the damage done to your car. Go get 'em, Veezer!
+1. Have you asked for compensation? Can't cost that much.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The Latest: Took the rejects to Bassani and got a new set said to be the correct ones. When I looked at them at home, should have looked there, but took their word on it, I got the GT High Performance mufflers:eek:

I have decided to end this and am sending these back to V8 for a refund.

The good thing is, is that I will be getting a new rear end:) But have to take it up to Galpin Ford. For some reason, Bassani (in Anahiem) does business with a San Fernando Valley Dealer:confused:

Now my next question is, does the dealer paint as well as the factory?? Would hate to have the paint start flacking a year latter:eek:

Ron

1 - 16 of 16 Posts