Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
31,622 Posts
if you dont mind me asking how much did you pay for the recaros after the fact? i was thinking of ordering recaros With the car and then adding base seats After for daily driving. i figured that buying the base seats after the fact would be cheaper then the recaro but i dont know what either of them cost after the fact
If you want both seats, order the base comfort seats with the car to have the heat/cool option enabled. Then buy a set of Recaros to swap as desired.

·
Premium Member
2020 Shelby GT500 base + handling pack
493 Posts
if you dont mind me asking how much did you pay for the recaros after the fact? i was thinking of ordering recaros With the car and then adding base seats After for daily driving. i figured that buying the base seats after the fact would be cheaper then the recaro but i dont know what either of them cost after the fact
Only thing I would worry about that route is if you wanted the heated/cooled --- I don't know if the wiring etc is there for the seats if not ordered that way. Switching the other way (powered to non) wouldn't be an issue.

·
Registered
53 Posts
If you want both seats, order the base comfort seats with the car to have the heat/cool option enabled. Then buy a set of Recaros to swap as desired.
good point i hadnt thought about that. Was just looking for the most cost effective way. too bad dealers dont allow test drives or else the decision would be a lot easier to make

·
Registered
2020 GT500 Oxford White / Fully Loaded
124 Posts
I had the comfort seats in my Mustang PP2 and they were one of the things I did not like as the lack of support made it hard for me to feel what the car was doing when pushing it.
They were comfortable and had the heated/cooled options which were nice.

When we saw our first GT500 and sat in the Recaros, I knew the support would be there but was surprised at how comfortable they were. They became a requirement and they really do add to the overall appearance. Of course, while driving, they translate what the car is doing (at least for me) which, helps. The only issue was finding a GT500 with the Recaros, most tend to have the comfort seats. I took my Shelby out for a few hours of driving over the weekend and the Recaros were very comfortable....I honestly did not want to stop driving!

Reactions: DKnight

·
Premium Member
493 Posts
I had the comfort seats in my Mustang PP2 and they were one of the things I did not like as the lack of support made it hard for me to feel what the car was doing when pushing it.
They were comfortable and had the heated/cooled options which were nice.

When we saw our first GT500 and sat in the Recaros, I knew the support would be there but was surprised at how comfortable they were. They became a requirement and they really do add to the overall appearance. Of course, while driving, they translate what the car is doing (at least for me) which, helps. The only issue was finding a GT500 with the Recaros, most tend to have the comfort seats. I took my Shelby out for a few hours of driving over the weekend and the Recaros were very comfortable....I honestly did not want to stop driving!
Agreed -- and at FPRS I was surprised at how comfortable the Recaros actually were --- and I definitely see them, and the harness, as benefits for road course.
Mines a daily... I run in Normal mode with comfort steering most of the time, so it's all about purpose 😁

·
Premium Member
2019 GT350R FPB
2,156 Posts
Didn’t expect to find a set so soon before even getting the car but here they are. Nice having both options now. Owner removed after 500 miles for lighter race seats making dedicated drag car, not from wreck which btw is a shame when seat airbags deploy, yes surviving is better. Anyone know what these seat skins go for?

View attachment 211932
No idea on what the skins are worth but those skins would look pretty cool on my R seats.

·
Registered
2021 GT500 CFHP
52 Posts
I paid 4200 for the Recaros which is high but it's a seller's market, they were asking wayyy more. Compared to nice aftermarket race seats it wasn't unreasonable, and are literally brand new that didn't come from a wreck so no concerns being slightly bent. Having both these and comfort seats works with how I'll use it, most wear and tear happening to the comfort seats and save Recaros for track days. Also believe it increases the desirability and collectable value to have them since they're a signature part of the GT500.

I spec'd my CFHP and could have checked the Recaros box but did it this way to get comfort seats with the electronics installed for heated/cooled, power adjustments, lumbar, and seat memory.

Important notes to anyone looking to buy a used set: inspect the side bolster stitching hasn't been redone if airbags were deployed, inspect connectors underneath that they're not damaged/missing/bent pins, and REMEMBER to get the plastic covers that hide the floor mounting bolts...no need to ask why 😡

Reactions: DKnight

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
31,622 Posts
good point i hadnt thought about that. Was just looking for the most cost effective way. too bad dealers dont allow test drives or else the decision would be a lot easier to make
You can get a feel for the seats just by sitting in the car... no test drive needed. You could also search for nearby forum members to try their seats.

·
Registered
2020 GT500
297 Posts
Are the Recaro’s heated/cooled on the seat bottoms? Are they electric with memory? I’m guessing they’re straight up race seats all manual, correct?

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
31,622 Posts
Are the Recaro’s heated/cooled on the seat bottoms? Are they electric with memory? I’m guessing they’re straight up race seats all manual, correct?
Straight up race seats no electric movement or climate control. There is one functional difference from my 2000 Cobra R Recaros though... in the R, those seats are locked in quite upright. They do not recline. The Recaros in the new Shelby do recline.

·
Registered
2020 GT500
297 Posts
Straight up race seats no electric movement or climate control. There is one functional difference from my 2000 Cobra R Recaros though... in the R, those seats are locked in quite upright. They do not recline. The Recaros in the new Shelby do recline.
Ok, good to know. Man they are real purdy, but I just really need air blown up my ass in the Texas heat!

·
Premium Member
493 Posts
Ok, good to know. Man they are real purdy, but I just really need air blown up my ass in the Texas heat!
Having hurt my back a few weeks ago --- the lumbar heat is what's getting me through commutes on some days.

·
Premium Member
2020 gt500 Shadow Black
132 Posts
One other thing worth mentioning is the that the Recaro's in the 2020 will also "pump up" allowing you to raise or lower the seat. Great for someone that might be tad on the short side, if you have a long torso or just like sitting lower in the car.

·
Registered
2021 GT500 Base RR
317 Posts
Performance functionality Recaro dominate! Comfort for us plump fellas that run hot, base seats dominate! Yes, base seats have bolsters but they are about as firm as a mypillow. I wanted a CFTP, but I do love my 2 mile comfy commute to the liquor store in my azz cooling base seats

21 - 34 of 34 Posts