Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All. Well I had absolutely nothing to do this weekend so I decided to spend just a little time with the Shelby to fix a few things. Over the last 2 weeks I had developed noises and vibrations for some apparant reason.

Noise/Grind - I had a noise and a slight grind coming from somewhere under my shifter. I had no idea what it was and didn't even know they existed as I usually keep the Shaker 100 about half-mast all the time. Well, I get the car up on the lift and one of the drive-shaft loop support bolts was bumping up against one of the support rods on the exhaust pipe when I guess I hit a bump or put down a lot of torque. Easy fix as I had the support rod headed up and bent down a little. Ahhh, problem fixed as there was no more noise or grinding from under my shifter.

pause

Another Noise - Well, what do you know, I guess the noise from under the shifter was so loud that it drowned out another noise I had in the back of the car. I then noticed when I hit a bump I would get a rattle from the rear. I put the car back up on the lift and began looking looking looking. Couldn't find anything as everything looked good to me. Put the car back down and rocked it back and forth (yes, could only do a little) and I still couldn't find it. Something said go to the back. I went to the back and bumped on the back bumper and what do you know, the back bumper on these cars are loose and flimpsy as hell. It really shakes pretty good and is not really tight because it is only held into place with push in flared plastic bolts. Yes, the kind you can take out easily. Well, I had a metal license plate bracket on the back with only two bolts in the top holding the tag. I hit the bumper and there was my rear noise. I put two more bolts in the bottom of the tag holder and wazzzam, no more noise - Hey Hey!!!

pause

Another Noise (getting pissed now) - I take it back out for a spin and you wont believe it - yes, another rattling sound. I first say, %!*#*R)*^@!)_. What the heck now? Still coming from the rear. You would be amazed that when you start changing stuff out, how much noise you will get. This was a rattle this time. Since I had absolutely nothing to do, I put the car back on the lift and check everything again listening for that distinct sound. Well, this time my problem was the forward rear exhaust pipe hanger was butted up right against the metal bracket with bushing that hold the hanger into place. There shoud have been some offset so that the metal hanger doesn't touch the metal bracket. For the hell of it, I went ahead and slightly bent back the rear exhaust hanger as well because it was kind of close. I bent it back just a little so there was no contact and wazzzzzam again - No Noise! All my noises were fixed and gone finally. :D

pause

Slight Vibration of the Tri-Ax Shifter in 3rd Gear Only - Well, while checking everything else out while the car was on the lift, I checked the bolt at the bottom of the shifter where it connects to the metal rod that connects to the transmission. Yes, it suppose to have a little play because the rubber boot is not used or supplied by Steeda for the Tri-Ax. You basically have the bolt shaft, bolt and nut with washers. I called Steeda and asked for advice and they stated that slight vibration may occur if the tightness is even 1/10,000 of an inch off. My slight vibration wasn't really noticable but I could feel it just, just, just, just a little. I pull it all apart and regreased the inner housing just to make sure and noticed that since last week when I changed my shifter handle around, I didn't put the leather under the knob back down around the shifter as I probably should have as it was just kind of all at the top just hanging. The leather material attached to the shifter actually serves two purposes - To keep dirt and dust out of the bottom of the shifter and I guess to reduce slight vibration. I pushed the leather material kind of back down around the shifter handle in the bottom evenly, all the way around and wazzzzzam again, no more shaking, trimbling, vibrating of the shifter handle. Again, those who may be experiencing vibration of the shifter and as long as the bolt is kind of snug at the bottom of the shifter, simply push the leather material down and around the shifter, you'll be suprised to notice that your vibration may go away as this kind of cushions everything.

Guys/Gals, all of this worked for me and I now have a quiet running Shelby Cobra with absolutely no squeaking, rattling, rubbing noise and no vibrations.

It still was a fun Saturday for me as I will spend as much time as I need to ensure the Cobra is "Right and Tight".

Good Luck

flipmo (Wow, I clearly have too much time on my hands to write this book):D

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Good job and excellent post.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good job and excellent post.
Thanks Fred. These were small tweaks that anyone can do/have done. I tell you that a lingering noise drives me crazy. Seems as though they get louder and louder until you fix. All my crappy noises are gone and now I'm already looking to get maybe a little more out of the car.

I'm thinking about taking it to the DYNO again and add a few more degrees of timing to the current conservative tune and see what happens.

Thanks

flip

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Thanks Fred. These were small tweaks that anyone can do/have done. I tell you that a lingering noise drives me crazy. Seems as though they get louder and louder until you fix. All my crappy noises are gone and now I'm already looking to get maybe a little more out of the car.

I'm thinking about taking it to the DYNO again and add a few more degrees of timing to the current conservative tune and see what happens.

Thanks

flip

Go baby go:D

·
Registered
861 Posts
flip, when are you going to take the beast to the track?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
flip, when are you going to take the beast to the track?
Hi JJ. Man, I wish I had the time to go to the track. As of late, I've been so busy and on the weekend, the Mrs. for some unknown reason has took the time and effort to plan for her and my activities.:mad:

Aren't wives great and so considerate?:eek: Maybe one day when I grow up I'll be able to plan my own weekend.:D

Thanks

flip

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
Hi JJ. Man, I wish I had the time to go to the track. As of late, I've been so busy and on the weekend, the Mrs. for some unknown reason has took the time and effort to plan for her and my activities.:mad:

Aren't wives great and so considerate?:eek: Maybe one day when I grow up I'll be able to plan my own weekend.:D

Thanks

flip
Flip,
She will let you know when you can plan your own weekend:D :D

·
Registered
861 Posts

Thanks

flip
I know what you mean. My buddies will ask if I want to go here or there on such-n-such weekend. I have to respond with let me check with my daily planner and make sure she doesn't already have me penciled in for something!

JJ

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know what you mean. My buddies will ask if I want to go here or there on such-n-such weekend. I have to respond with let me check with my daily planner and make sure she doesn't already have me penciled in for something!

JJ
We Ohioans just get no respect!

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
We Ohioans just get no respect!
I'm surprised you Ohioans haven't learned it's easier to beg forgiveness than to ask permission. :D :D

·
Registered
861 Posts
I'm surprised you Ohioans haven't learned it's easier to beg forgiveness than to ask permission. :D :D
I know that already but always seam to forget!:confused:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts