Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2020 GT500
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had this resonating / buzzing sound on my car since new at a certain rpm - always figured it was either normal or something benign so didn't want the dealer to start tearing into the car...

I came across a YouTube video the other day of another GT500 with the same sound.

If you listen carefully you can hear it at 4 seconds and again at 8 seconds:

Has anyone else heard this on their car? Any idea what it might be?

·
Premium Member
2020 Shelby GT500 base + handling pack
1,158 Posts
I have some rear-end/road noise/drone (it's not the exhaust) that I'm about to post about, but I have never heard this sound.... that almost sounds like something loose and rattling.

·
Registered
2020 GT500
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have some rear-end/road noise/drone (it's not the exhaust) that I'm about to post about, but I have never heard this sound.... that almost sounds like something loose and rattling.
Yeah it's kind of an interesting high frequency sound - it can only be heard at a very specific rpm range and when not under boost (I usually only hear it when slowly accelerating in manual mode).

·
Registered
2020 GT500 Oxford White / Fully Loaded
192 Posts
In Track mode I have a very small buzz in the passenger side door. It is not loud however, without music and at the cruising rpm I can hear it.

Reactions: SnakeCollector

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
35,367 Posts
I've had this resonating / buzzing sound on my car since new at a certain rpm - always figured it was either normal or something benign so didn't want the dealer to start tearing into the car...

I came across a YouTube video the other day of another GT500 with the same sound.

Just saw this on FB:

·
Registered
2020 GT500
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting..... Thanks for the heads-up!

Reactions: Goose17

·
Registered
2021 GT500 Grabber Yellow Handling Pack
74 Posts

Did you ever figure out your buzzing sound. I have one similar and have insulated in the package tray and c-pillars. Still there. Thinking maybe a heat shield. Should have checked those first TBH.

·
Registered
2020 GT500
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did you ever figure out your buzzing sound. I have one similar and have insulated in the package tray and c-pillars. Still there. Thinking maybe a heat shield. Should have checked those first TBH.
I haven't had a chance yet to put the car up on a lift. I agree - I think it's something like a heat shield or maybe exhaust-related. Reason I say this I've noticed once the engine warms up to operating temperature the sound goes away completely on mine. I actually went out for an hour-long drive yesterday and once the oil temp got up to around 190F I could no longer reproduce the sound at all. I tried at least a dozen times... How's yours?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I haven't had a chance yet to put the car up on a lift. I agree - I think it's something like a heat shield or maybe exhaust-related. Reason I say this I've noticed once the engine warms up to operating temperature the sound goes away completely on mine. I actually went out for an hour-long drive yesterday and once the oil temp got up to around 190F I could no longer reproduce the sound at all. I tried at least a dozen times... How's yours?
Mine seems to be very similar to yours, but it does not seem to be effected by temperature. I plan to get under the car tomorrow and take a look at the heat shields.

·
Registered
2020 GT500
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mine seems to be very similar to yours, but it does not seem to be effected by temperature. I plan to get under the car tomorrow and take a look at the heat shields.
Do let me know what you find! Very interested…

·
Registered
74 Posts
Checked over the exhaust heat shields looked good, the exhaust tips on the two inboard exhaust pipes seems like they had a rattle but don’t think they are the source and didn’t see any easy way to stop their rattle, I have pretty well (at least as far as I know) insulated everything in the c pillar and the rear package tray. I have seen talk of their being a module under the carpeting in the trunk on the passenger side I may look for. Still have the metallic buzzing at certain RPMs. Only in track mode. It is very consistent. I have an appointment at the dealer tomorrow for an alignment as well as another issue. I’m going to mention it then.

·
Registered
2020 GT500
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Checked over the exhaust heat shields looked good, the exhaust tips on the two inboard exhaust pipes seems like they had a rattle but don’t think they are the source and didn’t see any easy way to stop their rattle, I have pretty well (at least as far as I know) insulated everything in the c pillar and the rear package tray. I have seen talk of their being a module under the carpeting in the trunk on the passenger side I may look for. Still have the metallic buzzing at certain RPMs. Only in track mode. It is very consistent. I have an appointment at the dealer tomorrow for an alignment as well as another issue. I’m going to mention it then.
Ugh, that sucks. Thanks for keeping me up to date. Wonder what the heck it could be... What RPM is yours happening?

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
35,367 Posts
Are you sure it’s not just exhaust drone you are hearing…? Track Mode exhaust drones. All other modes do not.

·
Registered
2020 GT500
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Are you sure it’s not just exhaust drone you are hearing…? Track Mode exhaust drones. All other modes do not.
At least on mine it's a very distinct metallic buzzing sound identical to the video clip in my original post. In my case it does seem temperature related as it seems to disappear completely when the car warms up. Definitely don't want the dealership to start tearing into the car at this point though, yuck!

Reactions: Goose17

·
Registered
63 Posts
Might be a longshot but check the bolts on your exhaust system underneath where the front pipe bolts into the back pipe it is sort of like one of the aftermarket cut and clamp set ups on my old Mustang when I installed an H pipe that was not backed out after driving for a while .

·
Registered
2020 GT500
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Found this video. May be the culprit.

Interesting find, in the follow up video he's saying the trunk piece wasn't the culprit after all but instead talks about a heat shield:

I know on our cars there's a heat shield above the exhaust resonators protecting the carbon driveshaft - I've been wondering about that piece in particular for a while....

My exhaust isn't 100% stock as I have a Lethal resonator delete x-pipe that reuses the factory driveshaft heat shield with steel zipties:

Hand Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle

It would make perfect sense had this buzzing sound started AFTER installing the resonator delete but it's been there since new! Ugh.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Interesting find, in the follow up video he's saying the trunk piece wasn't the culprit after all but instead talks about a heat shield:

I know on our cars there's a heat shield above the exhaust resonators protecting the carbon driveshaft - I've been wondering about that piece in particular for a while....

My exhaust isn't 100% stock as I have a Lethal resonator delete x-pipe that reuses the factory driveshaft heat shield with steel zipties:

View attachment 222196

It would make perfect sense had this buzzing sound started AFTER installing the resonator delete but it's been there since new! Ugh.
I agree in your case it doesn’t sound like the shields are the culprit. I checked them in my car and tapped on the with a mallet and they were very secure. I know that trunk module has been the fix for a number of guys in GT350 and GT forums. Holding it could be the fix here.
I’m not too worried about it as I only get the vibration in track mode and it is very brief at around 3000 RPM. I will say that this morning on the way to the dealership I did not get this vibration (even going out of my way to make it happen). It’s possible one of my other fixes in the c pillar or the rear package tray settled in. I put some insulation behind the metal bracket holding the side airbags to the c-pillar and some insulation under the telematics antenna in the package tray. Both were popular sources of a buzzing in other forums.

·
Registered
2020 GT500
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I agree in your case it doesn’t sound like the shields are the culprit. I checked them in my car and tapped on the with a mallet and they were very secure. I know that trunk module has been the fix for a number of guys in GT350 and GT forums. Holding it could be the fix here.
I’m not too worried about it as I only get the vibration in track mode and it is very brief at around 3000 RPM. I will say that this morning on the way to the dealership I did not get this vibration (even going out of my way to make it happen). It’s possible one of my other fixes in the c pillar or the rear package tray settled in. I put some insulation behind the metal bracket holding the side airbags to the c-pillar and some insulation under the telematics antenna in the package tray. Both were popular sources of a buzzing in other forums.
Interesting... I'll have to check out the areas you addressed. I'm with you and not too worried especially since it seems transient in nature and hasn't gotten any worse in the past year that I've owned the car. I think I'd much rather live with it than have the dealership start taking things apart and end up with a dozen more rattles, lol.

·
Premium Member
2008 GT500 Coupe 2015 Jeep SRT
1,737 Posts
It almost sounds to me like metal on metal spinning. I think I recall seeing the new cars have a clutch on the supercharger pulley. I wonder if your clutch engagement is out of square, so it slips on part of the disc before it fully engages?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts