Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to take off my painted JLT radiator cover for the trip over to VMP .... I wouldnt think this would create any
over heating issues .... would it?

·
Moderator Dude!
28,388 Posts
I decided to take off my painted JLT radiator cover for the trip over to VMP .... I wouldnt think this would create any
You’ll be fine Don. You won’t notice any cooling difference. It’s a cosmetic piece.

You’ve got to be excited about your impending mods!

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You’ll be fine Don. You won’t notice any cooling difference. It’s a cosmetic piece.

You’ve got to be excited about your impending mods!
I am Tim .... even have my Go Pro .... about to leave in a few minutes ....

Thank you for the late evening response !!

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
made it fine and as always the car ran fine but I will tell you this, I hate driving through Orlando at any hour. I'll take Miami any day of the week

·
#1 Mike!
8,656 Posts
Funny Don! When I was growing up in Winter Haven, we used to go to Orlando for teen dances. When we went home, I-4 was like a ghost town! How things have changed! Good luck on the upcoming changes!! Woo Hoo! P.S. And yes we had automobiles back then!

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
P.S. And yes we had automobiles back then!

It's pretty cool in Louisiana this morning, but not having that cover will allow air to circumvent the radiator. I think you'll be okay, just keep your eye on the temp gauge.

·
Moderator Dude!
28,388 Posts
It's pretty cool in Louisiana this morning, but not having that cover will allow air to circumvent the radiator. I think you'll be okay, just keep your eye on the temp gauge.
I honestly don’t think there will be any difference John. While driving, there is more airflow than needed. It wouldn’t matter if some goes above, even though I don’t think much will. There isn’t much space between the radiator and the hood. While idling, the fan will be pulling air through the radiator. I think removing the cover will be a non-event.

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
Maybe, maybe not. Airflow will take the path of least resistance, and offset the pressure differential of what can flow through the radiator. But yeah, I sort of doubt it will cause any overheating issues, especially in these cooler temperatures.

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Thats exactly what I did. Kept a real close eye on it as I went.

One thing I am grateful for. I decided at the last second to put my NITTO G's on and took off the NTO5's. DId I hit some heavy rain in Orlando around 3am.

The car ran real cool actually and the only time I noticed it rose was at a rest area, Car is at VMP and the engine should be out. Wife begged me to just cancel the hotel reservation and rent a car and come home. SOooooooooooo I am home and will await word that the car is ready to be picked up. Should be Wed or thursday.
I did find this of interest. In asking the VMP staff HP gains with the cams they said on a stock GT500 50 hp is realistic but on a already modded car with a tune like me they generally see 25 hp gain.

John why dont you chime in here and give us your infinite wisdom

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
If there's a question here, I don't quite get it. If it has to do with why more gains on a modded car than one that's not, there's a good bit of power in the tune alone. It's not likely someone with a stock engine installing cams isn't going to put the smallest upper pulley they can on the car on top of the cam install.

On a modded car, you're really not able to extend the rpm range that far up because of the stock lower end. That cam would continue to make power while the stock cam falls further on its face as rpm go up, if the lower end is rpm limited due to reliability. However, the stock valve springs can only be pushed so far too before they begin to float.

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If there's a question here, I don't quite get it. If it has to do with why more gains on a modded car than one that's not, there's a good bit of power in the tune alone. It's not likely someone with a stock engine installing cams isn't going to put the smallest upper pulley they can on the car on top of the cam install.

On a modded car, you're really not able to extend the rpm range that far up because of the stock lower end. That cam would continue to make power while the stock cam falls further on its face as rpm go up, if the lower end is rpm limited due to reliability. However, the stock valve springs can only be pushed so far too before they begin to float.
Sorta of a question but I think you answered it. Just dont understand the difference of what LM said the car would make vs VMP. I tend to go with real world and VMP is in the real world of installing these cams and dynoing afterwards
The engine should be out and tomorrow the cams go in and reassembly.
Wed or Thurs it will be tuned and I can let everyone know what the pickup is.

John thank you as always

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
The lower horsepower difference is more likely the result of a self-imposed rpm limit for an engine that has a stock lower end. Sure you could make more power, but you would have to take it to an rpm level that could turn the engine into scrap metal. I don't think you want to do that, and I'm sure they won't make a pull any higher than 6,500 rpm. The stock cam is going to stop making power at around 6,200 rpm. The L&M should continue to make power for another 1,000 rpm, give or take, or at least up to the point the valves begin to float.

Since BJ did a back to back comparison with Christine with this exact cam swap, he ended up making another 70 rwhp with these cams on E85 and a boost in compression ratio. At 6,250 rpm, that difference was 45 rwhp. The cams produced another 25 rwhp with another 800 rpm. That number was likely limited by the valve springs and the fact the 2R was running out of steam. He picked up another 70 rwhp by replacing the blower with a 2.9 whipple and replacing the boost he lost with the cams. I'm not sure the blower swap would have made more rwhp than the 2R with the stock cams. The overlap on these cams will probably decrease boost by 4 psi without a change in blower speed. So the measurement point needs to be understood in evaluating the pick up in power. Just a cam swap with no other changes and a cam swap bringing boost back to non-cammed levels is going to have very different values.

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The lower horsepower difference is more likely the result of a self-imposed rpm limit for an engine that has a stock lower end. Sure you could make more power, but you would have to take it to an rpm level that could turn the engine into scrap metal. I don't think you want to do that, and I'm sure they won't make a pull any higher than 6,500 rpm. The stock cam is going to stop making power at around 6,200 rpm. The L&M should continue to make power for another 1,000 rpm, give or take, or at least up to the point the valves begin to float.

Since BJ did a back to back comparison with Christine with this exact cam swap, he ended up making another 70 rwhp with these cams on E85 and a boost in compression ratio. At 6,250 rpm, that difference was 45 rwhp. The cams produced another 25 rwhp with another 800 rpm. That number was likely limited by the valve springs and the fact the 2R was running out of steam. He picked up another 70 rwhp by replacing the blower with a 2.9 whipple and replacing the boost he lost with the cams. I'm not sure the blower swap would have made more rwhp than the 2R with the stock cams. The overlap on these cams will probably decrease boost by 4 psi without a change in blower speed. So the measurement point needs to be understood in evaluating the pick up in power. Just a cam swap with no other changes and a cam swap bringing boost back to non-cammed levels is going to have very different values.

This makes sense. One can gain higher HP numbers but at risk of over reving the motor.

Another thing you mentioned is running Christine on E85. I would love to do this as well but I cant find any gas stations in my area with E85.

Lastly, On my first visit to VMP to get the bigger blower, headers and other goodies, I mentioned to the forum we found a mouse in my trunk innner lid when I opened the trunk up. With the trunk open, it jumped inside the trunk and disappeared. We set traps at VMP while the car was sitting over night, when I got home I set glue paper down with peanut butter and no mouse catch and In contracting a professional mouse catcher he believed the mouse probably left when he/she was at VMP the first visit.

Fast forward today, I get a call from Steve at VMP just a few minutes ago and they found a mouse nest under the blower with possible wires being chewed so they are going to investigate and fix what ever damage may have been caused by chewing

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Maybe you gave him a hot foot on the drive to VMP.
Maybe. I do believe its the same mouse that was in the car in June when I went to VMP and the prof exterminator I called believed that he probably left once exposed. Hell, he thought my car was a dam condo with benefits

·
Premium Member
3,888 Posts
I'm sure VMP will look over your engine compt for other damage very carefully. Without any prompting or advance knowledge about mice, they found a vacuum line nibbled on by mice in Ken's car while they were swapping blowers at SF19.

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I'm sure VMP will look over your engine compt for other damage very carefully. Without any prompting or advance knowledge about mice, they found a vacuum line nibbled on by mice in Ken's car while they were swapping blowers at SF19.
Well your right and thats what they are doing. They are inspecting the area to insure there is no damage to wiring

best news is the nest is old and hasnt been used for sometime

·
Premium Member
1,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The way I-4 is torn up through Orlando, it will be a long time until they have that all straightened out.....

R
downtown Orlando is scary ..... and I drove it at 3am

1 - 20 of 24 Posts