Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see there has been some previous discussion regarding this, but I'm still not sure what the proper answer is. I picked up a new 2009 GT500 10 days ago, and have over 500 miles on it. I'm not sure if I've done 50 starting cycles or not at this point. I haven't seen the boost gauge climb past zero at all yet, and am anxous to hear the supercharger 'whine' everyone describes. I do hear it quietly spooling down when I shut off the engine(at least I think that's what I hear). I have done some hard run-ons, working through the gears, but I can't say I've seen any boost yet. I know the Shelby owners manual says 5 miles or 50 start/warmup cycles. Should that be 5 miles AND 50 start cycles. Just wondering what other owners have gone through during thier breakins?
Thanx

·
Registered
109 Posts
I see there has been some previous discussion regarding this, but I'm still not sure what the proper answer is. I picked up a new 2009 GT500 10 days ago, and have over 500 miles on it. I'm not sure if I've done 50 starting cycles or not at this point. I haven't seen the boost gauge climb past zero at all yet, and am anxous to hear the supercharger 'whine' everyone describes. I do hear it quietly spooling down when I shut off the engine(at least I think that's what I hear). I have done some hard run-ons, working through the gears, but I can't say I've seen any boost yet. I know the Shelby owners manual says 5 miles or 50 start/warmup cycles. Should that be 5 miles AND 50 start cycles. Just wondering what other owners have gone through during thier breakins?
Thanx
Do not believe there is an AND. You should be hearing the supercharger and seeing the boost without even trying hard.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I agree. When I picked up my 09 the manager told me that I had to drive 10 consecutive miles before the boost would kick in. At the 17 mile mark on my way home (about 35 miles from dealer to home) I went through the gears and and the boost was there no problem. Bring it back to the dealer, you should be getting boost without much effort.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I don't know if this will help on your '09 or not, but there was a posting about a predelivery checklist item to get the GT500 out of the limited boost mode:

1) Disconnect the battery negative cable
2) Wait at least 10 seconds, then reconnect the battery cable.
3) Tighten the cable to 5 Nm (44 lb-in)

Performing this procedure increased my '08's boost from about 5 psi to about 9 psi at just short of the 500 mile point. I did have some early boost, however, but I was a bit impatient to see the rest of it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
go out and find a straight road without any traffic and get to about 45 mph in 2nd and roll into the trottle until you are at full throttle. You will hear and feel it then.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Stop ***** footin' it and get on it.. The boost will be calling your name at that point. Just my $.02

·
Registered
3,077 Posts
Stop ***** footin' it and get on it.. The boost will be calling your name at that point. Just my $.02
Yep, boost won't come on unless you put your foot down.

Foot to the floor in second gear will throw ya back.

-

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, good news! Last night I felt the boost come on for the first time with around 540 miles on the new car. I was in second gear when I punched her hard and watched the revs climb to around 4,500 RPM and the boost guage left '0' and momentarily climbed to around 5-6 PSI before dropping as I shifted into third and then ran out of road. I would think this is all normal then? It's my first car with a supercharger.....

·
Registered
86 Posts
sounds normal.
Just take it to 6,000 rpms before you shift and your guage should read closer to 9psi.

for real fun, swap those pullies out and get 15 psi of fun! :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts