Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be soon looking for a replacement set of drag radials to replace my worn out Nitto 555r

They did a decent job when temps were up but i still spun a tad in 2nd and virtually no traction in first gear

I don't drag race. My claim to fame is a rolling start to the speed limit. Ive heard the NT05R will hook up better but not as forgiving in the rain which is fine. If im caught in the rain it was by accident and just need to limp home carefully.

I want to stay with the nitto brand because im running nittos up front

Forums opinion on the NT05R would be greatly appreciated

dond

·
Premium Member
5,989 Posts
The feedback will likely be as you posted. Better traction on dry, less when wet.

MT has a new version out that is supposed to be better on dry and wet. But it won't match the nitto's on the front.

Nitto does make a road racing tire the NT01 which is the exact same compound that the toto r888 comes in which has very good dry traction as well.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Put some Mickey T's on it and you will probably hook in first gear....

But, for Nittos, the NT-05R is a much better tire for traction than the 555r. Just don't get caught in the rain.

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
315/40/18 NT05Rs
I'm looking to try the new MTs, but if you're comparing the NT05R to the 555R it's a serious traction upgrade.
-J

·
Premium Member
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
biminilx

that size tire will fit my 07 with stock rims ... using the frpp racing shockss and lowered springs ?

don

·
Premium Member
11,062 Posts
M&H Racemaster. You don't wanna get caught in the rain with them, but they'll hook like a mofo. I've seen a few broken axles due to them. I used 325/50/15 with FRPP lowering springs and D-Specs. They're tight, but they'll fit. I don't recommend a tire nearly that wide though. The skinnier the better. We cut 1.20's on 275's, so it's not about that bass.

bj

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
biminilx

that size tire will fit my 07 with stock rims ... using the frpp racing shockss and lowered springs ?

don
Hey Don, my friend Scott ran them on his GT on Shelby rims but they were widened to 11", although they could likely fit on 10" also. No idea on stock 9.5"

I was running 325/40/18 M&H race masters and then Scott used them to replace the 315/40/18 NT05Rs and did 60" better by a small margin on the M&H although the Nittos were worn by that point so not a perfect comparison.

BJ is correct that the 15" MT 275 Pro is a bad bitch but it's really a strip tire, definitely a different class when most guys here want a street/strip compromise.
-J

·
Registered
346 Posts
I finally got my car dialed and and the tires that work for me on the rear end or the Mickey Thompson SS 305 - 19. They also had a profile of 35 but were a little taller than the Michelins and looked really nice. The circumference of the tires 27.44. And yes I can spend them up but if I get the car rolling a little bit and hit about three quarter throttle it really hooks up nice and then slam 2nd and hit it it'll spend still just a little bit but it stays straight and eventually gets traction after about a half a second and really grips the road good.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
BiminiLX I went to the link ...... now its between the Nittos and M&H Roadmaster

don

·
Registered
205 Posts
I did, imop waste of money, my mt/et streets wouldn't hook until fourth at Fontana on a prepped track, forget about street, I have a VMP gen 2 with a 2.4 pulley, catless, 3.73s but even with the 3.31s they disappointed, also I have Viking d/a rears and QA1 d/a coilovers front rebound on front was 1 comp was 10(175lb springs) 7/11 on rear, should have hooked on wet grass.
I don't know about the MT/ 15/275 pros but there was a guy out at willow that had them and was spinning pretty bad, for overall I'd probably go hooser or m&h but radial tires are not easy to hook on a stick car. P.S. haven't tried the new nittos but there was a few guys running them last week and looked like they work a lot better then my m/t's

·
Premium Member
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well my NTO5R's arrived today and will bring the shelby in tomorrow to install. Will give everyone an impression of the new tires after i get home tomorrow night.

I opted for the stock size

don

·
Registered
50 Posts
My nt05rs lasted longer than my MTs but my MTs were stickier and seemed to hook up better. Let me know how you like them. I have the 315 nt05r on a stock wheel widened 1".

·
Premium Member
1,866 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
nto5rs are on

When I leave work will let everyone know my thoughts

don

Attachments

·
Registered
366 Posts
I will be soon looking for a replacement set of drag radials to replace my worn out Nitto 555r

They did a decent job when temps were up but i still spun a tad in 2nd and virtually no traction in first gear

I don't drag race. My claim to fame is a rolling start to the speed limit. Ive heard the NT05R will hook up better but not as forgiving in the rain which is fine. If im caught in the rain it was by accident and just need to limp home carefully.

I want to stay with the nitto brand because im running nittos up front

Forums opinion on the NT05R would be greatly appreciated

dond
I have the Nitto NT05R 305/45/18 on my 08. They hook really well when warm and 18psi pressure. I usually drive around with 40psi and they will spin especially if they are cold. At the track they hook real good in the VHT with low pressure and a good burn out. I am still undecided if I like them less or more that the MT Street Radials but they are cheaper so thats a plus.

·
Registered
366 Posts
nto5rs are on

When I leave work will let everyone know my thoughts

don
Hate to be that guy but you should have bought the 305/45/18. I have them on my 08 and have no rubbing or fit issues what so ever. When I run them at low pressure I get 95% contact patch. Oh well, after 3500 miles you can upgrade to the larger size :wink:

·
Registered
540 Posts
I have the Nitto NT05R 305/45/18 on my 08. They hook really well when warm and 18psi pressure. I usually drive around with 40psi and they will spin especially if they are cold. At the track they hook real good in the VHT with low pressure and a good burn out. I am still undecided if I like them less or more that the MT Street Radials but they are cheaper so thats a plus.
The problem is running them at 40 psi, 35 at the most but i prefer 30.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.