Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Shelby Gt500 Sterling Silver with White Rally Stripes
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone I’m new to the community. I’ve owned mustangs for years. Currently have an 03 & 01 Mustang Gt. Recently went out and bought a 2013 Shelby Gt 500 with only 10k miles on it. Metallic Sterling Silver with the white racing stripes. I absolutely Love this car. As an added bonus the car dealer sold me a set of Nitto DRs Nt05s and a set of Michelens on the front with Forgestar Rims for $850. I couldn’t be pass that deal up. Because I race the car frequently I decided to leave them on for the summer instead of swapping them on and off. Well that decision came to bite me in the ass last night. Drove the car to go have dinner and it started to lightly rain on the way to dinner. No biggie. By the time dinner was done it was now raining pretty heavily. Now I’m no idiot and know that you need to use extreme caution in wet weather but as I merged onto the highway I went to pass slower traffic in the right lane and with the snap of a finger my back end came out and now we were in the dreaded 360 spin. I don’t care how good a driver you are, you ain’t saving it. Try as you might. As we spun ever closer to embankment I remember just wishing the car would stop. I hit the embankment rear end first which spun the front end back around and with a thud the car came to a rest. After making sure everyone in the car was ok I got out and surveyed the damage expecting the worst and surprisingly I got off very lucky. I crumpled the rear bumper slightly right near the license plate and snapped some of the clips off that hold the rear bumper on. I also damaged the rear valance. The front bumper faired much better. I snapped a few of the clips off as well and lost the black plastic bottom part of the grill. The front spoiler is good too. No bent rims and I actually drove the car home. Don’t get me wrong, my ego is bruised and I should of known better than to try and pass someone in wet weather on the highway but given the circumstances it couldn’t of been a lot worse. So now I’m on the search for a front and rear bumper as well as a lower front grill and a rear valance. I learned a very tough lesson and I’m here to tell everyone that if your gonna drive your car on DRs in wet weather, take your time and do not try and make any aggressive movements like trying to pass someone. It only takes a second for these tires to hydroplane and once you lose control you are now just along for the ride and the car is gonna go where it’s gonna go. If anyone knows where I can go to get these parts to fix my car I def would appreciate any suggestions. Please be kind when responding about my bone headedness. I already feel low enough as it is lol. Thanks guys!!!

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
36,180 Posts
First off, welcome to the forum @DickDasterdly 71! You’ve come to a good place for these cars.

Sorry for your mishap. I’ve seen quite a few discussions about crashes with drag radials on wet roads. The lesson is to NEVER drive drag radials on a wet road. A guy I know almost lost his life after hitting a telephone pole on the driver’s door with his Boss 302 when driving on drag radials in the rain.

Just for info... there are NT05 performance tires and then there are NT05R drag radials. The NT05s would have been a much better all-weather option. I’m running the NT05s on my 2000 Cobra R and I am a fan. I’ve only driven them on dry roads though.

Check with these guys for parts:

Lastly, you’ll find our new member area here:

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Goose. You know what?? I don’t know if they are performance or drag radials. I think they’re drag radials but yes you are right. I should of just left the car home. But again I’m counting my blessing cause I know it could of been much much worse!! I’ll check that site out. Thanks.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Everyone I’m new to the community. I’ve owned mustangs for years. Currently have an 03 & 01 Mustang Gt. Recently went out and bought a 2013 Shelby Gt 500 with only 10k miles on it. Metallic Sterling Silver with the white racing stripes. I absolutely Love this car. As an added bonus the car dealer sold me a set of Nitto DRs Nt05s and a set of Michelens on the front with Forgestar Rims for $850. I couldn’t be pass that deal up. Because I race the car frequently I decided to leave them on for the summer instead of swapping them on and off. Well that decision came to bite me in the ass last night. Drove the car to go have dinner and it started to lightly rain on the way to dinner. No biggie. By the time dinner was done it was now raining pretty heavily. Now I’m no idiot and know that you need to use extreme caution in wet weather but as I merged onto the highway I went to pass slower traffic in the right lane and with the snap of a finger my back end came out and now we were in the dreaded 360 spin. I don’t care how good a driver you are, you ain’t saving it. Try as you might. As we spun ever closer to embankment I remember just wishing the car would stop. I hit the embankment rear end first which spun the front end back around and with a thud the car came to a rest. After making sure everyone in the car was ok I got out and surveyed the damage expecting the worst and surprisingly I got off very lucky. I crumpled the rear bumper slightly right near the license plate and snapped some of the clips off that hold the rear bumper on. I also damaged the rear valance. The front bumper faired much better. I snapped a few of the clips off as well and lost the black plastic bottom part of the grill. The front spoiler is good too. No bent rims and I actually drove the car home. Don’t get me wrong, my ego is bruised and I should of known better than to try and pass someone in wet weather on the highway but given the circumstances it couldn’t of been a lot worse. So now I’m on the search for a front and rear bumper as well as a lower front grill and a rear valance. I learned a very tough lesson and I’m here to tell everyone that if your gonna drive your car on DRs in wet weather, take your time and do not try and make any aggressive movements like trying to pass someone. It only takes a second for these tires to hydroplane and once you lose control you are now just along for the ride and the car is gonna go where it’s gonna go. If anyone knows where I can go to get these parts to fix my car I def would appreciate any suggestions. Please be kind when responding about my bone headedness. I already feel low enough as it is lol. Thanks guys!!!
Alloy wheel Tire Wheel Automotive tire Rim
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Bumper Shelby mustang
Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part Vehicle Car
Automotive exterior Bumper Vehicle Car Auto part

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
36,180 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did consider it but at the same time my premiums would go up and I don’t want an accident listed on the cars history report. I was thinking after it was all said and done I’d probably be out somewhere in the $4-5k mark. What do you think???

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
36,180 Posts
I did consider it but at the same time my premiums would go up and I don’t want an accident listed on the cars history report. I was thinking after it was all said and done I’d probably be out somewhere in the $4-5k mark. What do you think???
I have no idea on prices of bumper covers for the GT500. If all you need is the front/back plastic, paint and some stripes, I’d think it would be cheaper than that. If you have other damage, it could get expensive quickly.

If I were you, I’d pull my front and rear bumper covers off and have a look around. If it looks like the damage is more than superficial plastic issues, I’d lean towards an insurance claim.

Reactions: Evil_E

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hopefully it’s just the front/back plastic parts, but even then with paint and stripes... it won’t be cheap. Have you considered an insurance claim? That’s why you pay for insurance, to cover you when something happens.
Also since I’m a truck driver I don’t want this to be reported on my license as an accident. That could potentially make me a little less desirable to potential employers should I decide to leave my current job. You know??

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
36,180 Posts
Also since I’m a truck driver I don’t want this to be reported on my license as an accident. That could potentially make me a little less desirable to potential employers should I decide to leave my current job. You know??
Ahhhh, gotcha... makes sense. Try to find use covers. You’ll have to pay Ford’s nutty price for their painted vinyl though unless you pull all of the original stripes and go with aftermarket.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just got back from the supermarket and my girl and I rode by the scene of the accident and I found the lower front grill. Went out in the driveway and wouldn’t you know that SOB popped right in. I also popped both sides of the front bumper in. There’s just one little part on the passenger side sticking slightly out where I think a retaining pin broke. So as it’s looking now I might just need to replace the front splitter / spoiler and the rear bumper and valence. And I’ll only will need that little bit of vinyl that goes on the bottom part of the bumper. All the rest of the vinyl / stripes are good. I definitely feel a lot better now about all this lol

·
Super Moderator
2021 GT500 Iconic Silver
5,741 Posts
Sorry to hear about your accident. Glad you are ok, and glad to see the car is not more badly damaged -- I envisioned much worse as I read your original post.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry to hear about your accident. Glad you are ok, and glad to see the car is not more badly damaged -- I envisioned much worse as I read your original post.
Thanks Fletch...trust me those first few secs after everything happened I thought my car was toast. I was expecting to get out and see nothing but carnage. A Wadded ball of Silver and White lol I’m so so so very Thankful it wasn’t worse. God Blessed me twice. Once for my family and me not being hurt and the other for my Silver Baby not being seriously damaged. Like I said earlier VERY VERY VALUABLE LESSON LEARNED FOR SURE!!!

·
Premium Member
2008 GT500 Coupe 2015 Jeep SRT
1,750 Posts
Like my dad says, "We just keep paying tuition."

·
Premium Member
2019 GT350R FPB
2,156 Posts
Oh man did you get lucky. Looks like you did a little landscaping and both the front and rear lost ground clearance causing them to pull away and get damaged. Lesson learned for sure.

Talk about pucker factor. Did you factor in the cost for a new drivers seat skin? There's a good chance you're missing some pieces of that.

·
Registered
2007 Shelby GT-500 Performance White with Vista Blue LeMans and Side Stripes
993 Posts
Wow. Looks like you were lucky....a little but more to the right...

I have NT05 on my fronts and they're not what you have on your rear. They're actually decent in the rain....as decent as a sport tire would be. I have NT555Rs on the rears and they look similar to yours....useless in rain...dangerous.

As things happen, I was supposed to go to a track day/road course today....DaSilva Racing was hosting it. Toronto/St. Catharines area. Weather is crap rainy and one of my fears was just getting to the track, nevermind driving on a wet track.

Nice car.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Sorry to hear but the damage doesn't look bad. I run the NT05Rs on my car and if I get caught in the rain you will see me in the slow lane going 20mph below the limit. Its not fun at all but a necessary evil if you want to use the power these cars put down.

·
Registered
361 Posts
The good ol NT05s. Happened to me when I had to run them as my Michelin’s were out of round. And I put those on the back. Hit rain and went sideways merging on another freeway going only 50. Then let’s not talking about hitting puddles on the freeway. Worst experience, luckily didn’t wreak. But I know the feeling. Car was a DD for about 6months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oh man did you get lucky. Looks like you did a little landscaping and both the front and rear lost ground clearance causing them to pull away and get damaged. Lesson learned for sure.

Talk about pucker factor. Did you factor in the cost for a new drivers seat skin? There's a good chance you're missing some pieces of that.
Lol Yes Pucker Factor of 100%. I took it out for a quick test drive yesterday for the first time since the accident just to see if there is anything else that might need fixing and the car rode straight...no strange vibrations or strange noises. No check engine lights. NOTHING!!! So again I’ll reiterate. I’m very very lucky and most definitely very very thankful it’s ok!!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The good ol NT05s. Happened to me when I had to run them as my Michelin’s were out of round. And I put those on the back. Hit rain and went sideways merging on another freeway going only 50. Then let’s not talking about hitting puddles on the freeway. Worst experience, luckily didn’t wreak. But I know the feeling. Car was a DD for about 6months.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That was lucky man....mine isn’t a DD..and the only reason I took it out that night was to show it off to some friends we were having dinner with. If it wasn’t for that it would of been sitting in the driveway safely under the car cover. But god definitely blessed me that night for sure!!!!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts