Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me if the tires on my Gt-500 come with nitrogen already in the tires? Do you think it's a good idea?

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Can anyone tell me if the tires on my Gt-500 come with nitrogen already in the tires? Do you think it's a good idea?
Nitrogen, from my understanding, gives the tire a more stable psi over the heating and cooling of tires during driving conditions. If it is readily available, it can't hurt. The tires on the GT500 do not come with nitrogen. Normally any tire filled with nigtrogen has a colored (I believe green) valve cap.

·
Registered
171 Posts
My daughters truck has nitrogen in the tires that she got from Costco. The only bad thing is that you're not supposed to mix regular air with the nitrogen. At least that is what they told us at Costco. I had wanted to adjust the air after rotating the tires but she had to have it done there.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
IMO, nitrogen is mostly just a gimmick...a way to make more money from the average consumer. For the average driver, the differences/advantages of nitrogen are negligible. Our atmosphere is 78% nitrogen already. The main "advantage" of nitrogen is the fact that it is 0% humidity...no moisture to corrode your rims, and no water vapor to react to temperature change. Fill your tires on a dry day or put a charcoal filter on your compressor, and you get nearly the same result. Don't waste your money on nitrogen.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Our local performance shop fills all new purchased tires with it at no charge....and yes, I compared tire prices and their's are still the lowest around.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts

·
Registered
2,466 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
My daughters truck has nitrogen in the tires that she got from Costco. The only bad thing is that you're not supposed to mix regular air with the nitrogen. At least that is what they told us at Costco. I had wanted to adjust the air after rotating the tires but she had to have it done there.
Air is about 70% Nitrogen, so mixing them only hurts in the respect that it defeats the purpose of having Nitrogen.

IMO, the real benefit to Nitrogen is that it doesn't contain any oxygen, which is what causes rust. Air has moisture in it, when it goes through heating and cooling cycles the moisture condenses on the wheel and causes small amounts of rust. Over LONG periods of time, this rust causes the seal between the tire and wheel to be less effective.

If you really want to increase pressure by adding Nitrogen, you can buy some yourself. Go to a place that refills fire extinguishers or possibly a welding shop. You'll have to pay a core charge for a pressurized bottle that will last you a long time. You'll also need a regulator and an adapter to get it to an air hose you can use. Your call on whether it's worth the trouble.

Dave

1 - 12 of 12 Posts