Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wont be the same :( Fix the situation at the track dont change the sport. Even the drivers believe the runoff area isnt long enough at that track.

I sent an e-mail to NHRA on this exact issue. Personally, I think that rather that cut the length of the track to 1000 feet, why not require some sort of radio transmit of a chute deployment system at the end of the track. If a driver for some reason wasn’t able to deploy the chutes on his car, an RF signal would automatically deploy the chutes. Maybe make the system such that if the car is traveling at below some predetermined speed (say less than 150MPH) the chutes wouldn’t automatically deploy. This would prevent the chutes from popping on cars that didn’t complete a run and weren’t traveling fast enough to make it to the end of the track anyway.

Cutting the distance isnt a good solution.

Page

By DALE JEWETT - The NHRA has cut the race distance for its Top Fuel and Funny Car classes to 1,000 feet--320 feet short of a quarter-mile--as a safety measure in the wake of the death of racer Scott Kalitta nearly two weeks ago.

The shorter race distance takes effect with the Mopar Mile Hile Nationals in Denver, Colorado, on July 11-13.

Shortening the race distance will give the Funny Car and Top Fuel dragsters more runoff room after the finish line.

Kalitta died on June 21 in Englishtown, New Jersey, when his Funny Car engine exploded during a qualifying run. Kalitta's car ran off the end of the track, through a sand pit and crashed into a wall. The car's parachutes did not deploy. Kalitta, 46, was taken to a nearby hospital and declared dead.

After Kalitta's crash, several drivers complained that the runoff area at the Englishtown track was not long enough.

The NHRA said the change was made in collaboration with the race teams.

"With the change, fans will still be able to enjoy the sights, sounds and thrill of NHRA nitro racing with speeds around 300 mph and quick elapsed times to 1,000 feet," the NHRA said in a statement.

The NHRA said it is looking at the following issues as it investigates Kalitta's crash:

-- How to reduce engine failures.

-- Parachute mounting techniques and materials.

-- Increasing braking efficiency when downforce is lost due to a car body being lost.

-- New ways to stop runaway vehicles at the end of the track.

-- Considering the need to reduce speeds for more safety.

Drag racing legend Kenny Bernstein, president of the Professional Racers Owners Organization, said the group supports the change.

"It is not lost on any of us that this constitutes a change in our history of running a quarter-mile, but it's the most immediate adjustment we can make in the interest of safety which is foremost on everyone's mind," Bernstein said in a statement. "This may be a temporary change and we recognize it is not the total answer."

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Re: NHRA cuts distance to 1000 feet, Move made to enhance safety after Kalitta's death

Classic case of fixing the symptom, not the problem.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Re: NHRA cuts distance to 1000 feet, Move made to enhance safety after Kalitta's death

+1 Not fixing the problem, won't be seeing 330mph anymore
Sucks to see it at Bandimere we have plenty of run off room!

·
Registered
155 Posts

If they can stop a Jet on an aircraft carrier then they should be able to stop a car the same way. Find a spot after the run and if the car is still moving, Hook it.

·
Registered
547 Posts
This is unfortunate, but more and more tracks are now starting to go to 1/8 mile racing as well too, which to me just isn't fun anymore because I can already go the 1/8 mile speed on the highway just cruising. Part of the reason I like going out to the dragstrip is because I can't legally go 100+ mph on the roads but I can on the track. Times are changing for sure.

·
Registered
658 Posts

If they can stop a Jet on an aircraft carrier then they should be able to stop a car the same way. Find a spot after the run and if the car is still moving, Hook it.
They also have stop nets that stop jets. Perhaps this could be a valuable tool in preserving traditional 1/4 mile runs.

·
Registered
43 Posts
They also have stop nets that stop jets. Perhaps this could be a valuable tool in preserving traditional 1/4 mile runs.
That is the answer. Stop nets.

·
Premium Member
381 Posts

It was a horrific accident. So what new term are they going to adopt? Almost quarter mile runs?

The track was approved by the NHRA. Are they covering their behinds?

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts