Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Twister Orange Shelby GT500. 2020 Ford Raptor in leadfoot grey
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals, I thought I’d start this discussion based on what’s going on with the trend of engine technology and the potential of regulations going forward. I feel the current GT500 that we are all loving and experiencing right now may potentially be the last of a breed. We now see Ferrari moving away from naturally aspirated motors into hybrid power technology and others are doing the same. Is it possible the next GT500 could be a hybrid powered beast with over 1,000 hp? I was just curious what others think. We already see the potential of the Mach E and success of how much power these types of engines can produce. I’m sure the next GT500 will be similar. But who knows.
Would love to know peoples thoughts.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Electric cars sound so in vogue right now but but standing around charging them sounds like a hoot to me. I just made a trip to Cambra Ca from Livermore Ca. and that is no way I could make that trip with a electric car. You do know that they test these cars on a flat track right? As they get older they start to lose power and you need to charge the battery more often. My neighbor had a Prius Hybird and the electric battery went dead and because of that he couldn't start the car on gas.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
30,838 Posts
Hey guys and gals, I thought I’d start this discussion based on what’s going on with the trend of engine technology and the potential of regulations going forward. I feel the current GT500 that we are all loving and experiencing right now may potentially be the last of a breed. We now see Ferrari moving away from naturally aspirated motors into hybrid power technology and others are doing the same. Is it possible the next GT500 could be a hybrid powered beast with over 1,000 hp? I was just curious what others think. We already see the potential of the Mach E and success of how much power these types of engines can produce. I’m sure the next GT500 will be similar. But who knows.
Would love to know peoples thoughts.
The current GT500 is slated for a 3 year run (20/21/22). The S650 Mustang is supposed to hit for the 2023 model year. I honestly think the 20-22 GT500 will be the highest horsepower internal combustion engine Mustang ever. For better or worse, the future is getting electrified. I have driven a Mach E... I enjoyed it. It was nowhere close to being as awesome as my 2020 GT500.

·
Premium Member
2010 Shelby GT500 Kona Blue/Silver stripes
4,338 Posts
Electric cars sound so in vogue right now but but standing around charging them sounds like a hoot to me. I just made a trip to Cambra Ca from Livermore Ca. and that is no way I could make that trip with a electric car. You do know that they test these cars on a flat track right? As they get older they start to lose power and you need to charge the battery more often. My neighbor had a Prius Hybird and the electric battery went dead and because of that he couldn't start the car on gas.
Art, I think the future will see parking cafes with people charging their cars. It’ll be akin to the current cyber cafes with WiFi service. Your battery age comment is on the money, and charging a car isn’t a fast process. Maybe a new technology will come along to make the charging much faster.

·
Premium Member
2012/2013 Hybrid
7,153 Posts
Your battery age comment isn’t on the money, and charging a car isn’t a fast process. Maybe a new technology will come along to make the charging much faster.
Even so, gone will be the days of a 10 minute fill up. A fast charge will involve high voltage, so I would envision full service charging stations as part of this technology, or we'll see headlines like, WOMAN FRIES HERSELF AND 3 CHILDREN AT CHARGING STATION.

·
Premium Member
2020 Shelby GT500 base + handling pack
304 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised to see a hybrid

·
Premium Member
2012/2013 Hybrid
7,153 Posts
I'd put my bet on an all wheel drive hybrid with something like the ecoboost as the primary power plant. I don't know what these current cars are doing to Ford's CAFE requirements, but they only get tighter with each passing year and they sell a hell of a lot of trucks. and SUVs.

·
Premium Member
2020 Shelby GT500 base + handling pack
304 Posts
Yeah the first time I saw one of the new GTs I couldn't stop giggling at seeing that EcoBoost badge through the engine bay window.

The Max Tow package on the Expedition was also V6, not V8.

·
Registered
2020 Twister Orange Shelby GT500. 2020 Ford Raptor in leadfoot grey
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The current GT500 is slated for a 3 year run (20/21/22). The S650 Mustang is supposed to hit for the 2023 model year. I honestly think the 20-22 GT500 will be the highest horsepower internal combustion engine Mustang ever. For better or worse, the future is getting electrified. I have driven a Mach E... I enjoyed it. It was nowhere close to being as awesome as my 2020 GT500.
glad to know the fun of the GT500 outshines the Mach E. I believe the Mach E is just the beginning of where they will carry the Mustang line. I just thought this would be a good discussion on the opinion of what the next GT500 could end up being even though we are years and years from probably even a teaser. Thanks Goose, as always

·
Registered
2014 GT500
527 Posts
Yeah the first time I saw one of the new GTs I couldn't stop giggling at seeing that EcoBoost badge through the engine bay window.

The Max Tow package on the Expedition was also V6, not V8.
My F150 also required the Ecoboost for the Max Tow package and to be quite honest, it’s an awesome engine. I don’t miss a V8 in my truck.

My prediction: Cars will become like car phones.....eventually you’ll have to upgrade because they will no longer support your version and then it will become worthless, the dealers will offer you pennies for it and you’ll decide that it isn’t worth it so you’ll just keep it and we’ll all have a kitchen drawer full of useless old cars.

·
Registered
2020 GT500 Rapid Red Base model
81 Posts
The technology will not stand still, I believe it might be possible, someday, to transmit electricity through the air.

Reactions: Goose17

·
Registered
2014 GT500
527 Posts
The technology will not stand still, I believe it might be possible, someday, to transmit electricity through the air.

It’s possible, but as an electrical contractor I’m hoping that it NEVER catches on!! 🙂🙂
Actually, this electric car thing has been great for me.
I am of the opinion that manufacturing, consuming then disposing of electric vehicles is worse for the environment than gas power cars.
I have also never understood why our government ALWAYS targets the automobile manufacturers re:emissions and never looked at manufacturers of small equipment, like lawnmowers, weed wackers, leaf blowers, etc..

·
Registered
2021 GT500 Shelby & '69 Mach1
36 Posts
I see one day where your electric vehicle will be charged by the road surface or something overhead that does a continuous charge. Like bumper cars but a little more complex.....

Plus didn't Porsche just announce a 50% charge rate in under 10 minutes. Stop for a burger and get a charge. I drove a RAV4 hybrid the other day and was very impressed.

Reactions: DKnight

·
Registered
17 Posts
Even so, gone will be the days of a 10 minute fill up. A fast charge will involve high voltage, so I would envision full service charging stations as part of this technology, or we'll see headlines like, WOMAN FRIES HERSELF AND 3 CHILDREN AT CHARGING STATION.
It seems the key to practical electric cars is seeing the batteries get smaller and more universal. If you could pull into the station and swap out the dead battery in your car out for a freshly charged one, then you've got a car that can be driven cross country in a reasonable way. Then the service station charges your dead battery and trades it to someone else. At least that's my thought.

·
Registered
2020 Ford Mustang GT500
64 Posts
This is good topic and interesting discussion!

I think auto manufacturers are going to be pressed to make more vehicles electric. Here’s an example of what is being “mandated” in CA:

CA Zero Emissions by 2035

I heard NY is next to adopt this same set of rules.

With these types mandates of states with high vehicle sales, a car manufacturer risks losing billions of dollars in revenue if they do not take action. We are also seeing a significant increase in electric charging stations popping up at shopping centers and truck stops.

I haven’t researched in depth enough, but I seem to recall that wireless electricity is not a new concept and Nikola Tesla was the first person to hypothesize its feasibility and I believe he even tried experimenting with the idea.

The reality is that there is far more technology available and/or being developed than is publicized to the general public. One such example:

Safer Lithium ION Batteries

I’ve even seen a video of a university research team that invented a lithium ion battery that doesn’t catch fire, continues to provide power even if damaged and has a greater charge capacity per square millimeter of material than current lithium ion batteries. The problem is...they can’t seem to get any “name brand” partnerships or recognition to bring the tech to the market. 🤔 And Tesla is still using cylinder style battery configurations in their vehicles.

Another thing to consider is this: Think about how much technology has changed in the last 30 years. Look at what our day to day lives looked like just a mere 30 years ago and compare that to how we thrive off of so much of the technological advances available today. Now ask yourself, why are we still using the same general internal combustion engine for the last 100 years? Sure, technology has helped improve our engines, but it just seems like we are unnaturally behind in technology in this area compared to everything else in our lives.

Now, to OP’s original question: I would imagine that shift to electric would have to be made. I would predict that on something branded as “GT500” would have to take advantage of dual or quad motors with an all-wheel drive set up. I would also expect to see horsepower numbers to come in at about a 1,000....unless a state like CA :rolleyes: decides to ‘ban’ high horsepower vehicles like we ban everything else.

Whether or not we like it, electric appears to be our future.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts