Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 09 and am looking to do some mods this summer. If Anyone can educate me or point me in the right direction on what these tunes are all about. I am very new to this technology and it is alot different then what I am used to. From what I gather you can't even put a cold air intake on these cars without having to do a tune. If someone could break it down for me or just put up some links where I could read about how to input these tunes and where to get them? I appriciate the help and realize that someone else has probably gone over this before.

Thanks,

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For instance the JLT Carbon fiber intake and SCT tuner package. Is this a decent package and does it include everything I need to complete the upgrade.

·
Registered
662 Posts
For instance the JLT Carbon fiber intake and SCT tuner package. Is this a decent package and does it include everything I need to complete the upgrade.
I like the Ford Racing parts because they fit under my strut bar. It's all up to you on what kind of CAI you use, but I would stay away from the K & N. Visit Lethal Performance, VMP, and Ford racing....shopping for upgrades is half the fun. There is a wealth of info on this site so read up and welcome.

Brent

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Rmg32,
The engine and several other components are computer controlled. Any changes you make from where air enters through where it leaves the exhaust requires a new tune (program) for optimum performance.

Tunes for some changes are more critical than others. New mufflers are prob not as critical as a CAI or super charger (sc) pulley.

While I haven't seen a breakdown of one of these tunes, I had a Power Commander on my Harley and it did basically the same thing. It allowed adjustments of fuel/air flow, ignition timing and prob several other things I don't recall now, but all those adjustments were variable all along the rpm range & throttle positions.

The GT500 tunes are quite a bit more complicated than the Harley. Several of the tune guys have kinda generic tunes based on your mods and they will perform very well.

You get the best performance by having a tune made specifically for your car by have it put on a Dyno machine and let the tuner make the adjustments based on the cars performance.

Almost as good, after installing the new tune you log the info from your computer and send it to a tuner and let him fine tune your tune based on that data.

The tunes can be emailed and installed on your electronic tuner (SCT or similar) and then installed on your car.

Prob a pretty basic entry level of mods is mufflers, CAI & tune. As mentioned most CAIs are pretty comparable & the JLT CAI comes with spacers that raise the tower brace so it all still fits.

If you go with the Ford Racing Performance Parts (FRPP) and have them dealer installed it will help protect your warranty to some degree.

You can pick up quite a bit of info from reading through the old posts and checking several of the performance parts sites.

Good Luck and enjoy your ride. My cardiologist said mine was OK, but only in small doses! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for educating me a little bit snake doc. I do like what fghtrpilot had to say about the FRPP intake. (I like the strut bar) I also would like to keep everything under as much warranty as possible.

Thanks for the help, and I will keep you updated on what I do. If you guys try out some mods that you really like don't be afraid to drop me a message. Like fghtrpilot said "upgrade shopping is half the fun."

·
Registered
60 Posts
I've been "souping up" Mustangs and other cars for the better part of 40 years, but, like you, the tunes and cai are somewhat foreign to me. My first "cai" was a dryer vent hose run from a hole in the radiator support to the breather on a 66 Comet! My dad thought I was nuts.......still am I guess! I'd like the Ford package because of the warranty and such but I'm debating leaving my car stone stock......just like Uncle Henry sent it down. On the other hand, I'd love another 40 ponies kicking under the hood.....decisions, decisions.....

·
Registered
662 Posts
I've been "souping up" Mustangs and other cars for the better part of 40 years, but, like you, the tunes and cai are somewhat foreign to me. My first "cai" was a dryer vent hose run from a hole in the radiator support to the breather on a 66 Comet! My dad thought I was nuts.......still am I guess! I'd like the Ford package because of the warranty and such but I'm debating leaving my car stone stock......just like Uncle Henry sent it down. On the other hand, I'd love another 40 ponies kicking under the hood.....decisions, decisions.....
I think alot of people feel like you at first, then you do a little cai & tune and go wow! Then it's a bug because of what is available to wake this car up. Just save the parts and say to yourself "I can always put it back to stock". Just allocate enough garage space....I'm starting to get a pile.

Brent

·
Registered
662 Posts
I'm thinking about a TVS with FFRP throttle body and inlet by VMP and catless x-pipe right now.....hmmm.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts