Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, im new to this forum and also a proud new owner of an 07 shelby gt500. I found this beuty at a used car dealership for 38000, its black with the white stripes. The owner of the dealership bought this car when it came out, it sat in his garage for about a year and a half then he put it in the show room. It has never been titled and it had 950 miles on it about 4 days ago. Is there anything i should know about this car other than its badass right out of the box? I remember reading something about clutch problems on a couple of forums that i was doing research on, has any one experienced this? Ive owned two 5 speeds (one v6 and one gt) prior to this, and i noticed the clutch is way different. It almost seems like theres no easing off the clutch while giving it some gas, it just grabs. I just wasnt sure if im doing something wrong or if it might be me being used to stock v6 and gt clutches. Also, does anyone think there would be anything wrong with the engine as im sure it hasnt been all the way broken in yet with 900 miles on it in 2 years. Also from what i understand it still has the oil from the factory in it. I look forward to any and all replies. thanks, Aaron

·
Registered
202 Posts
Do a search on clutch tsb- loads of info. Congrats on the Shelby- you're gonna love it!

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
proud new owner of an 07 shelby gt500.
found this beuty at a used car dealership for 38000
It has never been titled and it had 950 miles on it about 4 days ago.
Sounds like a good deal!

Change the oil ASAP!

As for the clutch, some had had issues, others have not. I have 7K on mine and so far it is doing just fine. Some have only managed 700 before it went south.

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
hey guys, im new to this forum and also a proud new owner of an 07 shelby gt500. I found this beuty at a used car dealership for 38000, its black with the white stripes. The owner of the dealership bought this car when it came out, it sat in his garage for about a year and a half then he put it in the show room. It has never been titled and it had 950 miles on it about 4 days ago. Is there anything i should know about this car.... other than its badass right out of the box? I remember reading something about clutch problems on a couple of forums that i was doing research on, has any one experienced this? Ive owned two 5 speeds (one v6 and one gt) prior to this, and i noticed the clutch is way different. It almost seems like theres no easing off the clutch while giving it some gas, it just grabs. I just wasnt sure if im doing something wrong or if it might be me being used to stock v6 and gt clutches. Also, does anyone think there would be anything wrong with the engine as im sure it hasnt been all the way broken in yet with 900 miles on it in 2 years. Also from what i understand it still has the oil from the factory in it. I look forward to any and all replies. thanks, Aaron
Yeah, those '07s were really just junk and not worth having. Send it on down here to GA and I'll dispose of it for you!:rofl::rofl:

These things are a trip. I've really enjoyed mine. This is the first manual trans car I've had since my '68 SS Chevelle back in the late sixties/early seventies.

And the clutch does take some getting used to. Serv Mgr here in town said one customer had them swap out his clutch/press plate, etc. for a more friendly version.

In any event, enjoy your new car and read through the topics here; there are some really good guys on here that are willing to share their knowledge and experiences.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Guys, Thanks For The Replies. Im Definetly Enjoying It And Still Trying To Get Used To The Clutch. Oh And Yeah That Was An Amazing Deal I Got On This Car, I Almost Thought It Was To Good To Be True At First. All Of The Other Ones I Saw Were $40,000-$45,000 With Around 10,000-20,000 Miles On Them. Although For Some Reason The Car Didnt Have The Manuels Or The 2nd Key With It. The Salesman Told Me Today He Found The Key And Is Mailing It And Is Still Trying To Track Down The Manuel. Who Loses The Manuel On A Car Like This That There Trying To Sell Ya Know.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh, Im A Noob And Forgive Me For Asking But Does The Supercharger Work In First Gear? This Is My First Supercharged Car And I Really Dont Know Anything About Them. Thanks And Sorry In Advance For The Dumb Question. Any Other Supercharger Wisdom Would Be Appreciated As Well. Thanks Aaron

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Oh, Im A Noob And Forgive Me For Asking But Does The Supercharger Work In First Gear? This Is My First Supercharged Car And I Really Dont Know Anything About Them. Thanks And Sorry In Advance For The Dumb Question. Any Other Supercharger Wisdom Would Be Appreciated As Well. Thanks Aaron
I think you can answer your own question by just starting off in 1st and floor boarding the gas pedal.

If it doesn't make an awful sound from under the hood, set you back in the seat and smoke the tires, it ain't working in 1st; proceed to your nearest dealership for repair! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks Man, Ive Been Trying Go Easy On It Until I Can Get Oil As It Still Has The Oil From The Factory. Although Today I Noticed While Giving Some Gas That The Psi Gauge Didnt Move In 1st, And Vaguely Remembering It Doing So When I First Got It. Any Ideas Why Its Doing That?

·
Registered
994 Posts
Thanks Man, Ive Been Trying Go Easy On It Until I Can Get Oil As It Still Has The Oil From The Factory. Although Today I Noticed While Giving Some Gas That The Psi Gauge Didnt Move In 1st, And Vaguely Remembering It Doing So When I First Got It. Any Ideas Why Its Doing That?
Yup, pedal on the right, push it down HARD! and hold the hell on! Semi-seriously tho, if you dont give it gas, the supercharger wont register the psi until its feeding a demand. First gear and flooring it WILL break the tires loose, you WILL hit the rev limiter at 6250, and your eyes WILL get really big.... my personal favorite is WOT in 2nd, power shift to third.... make sure no one is in front of you, as you will make them into a fine hood ornament if you are not careful.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OH YEAH I CAN DEFINETLY HEAR IT, IVE JUST BEEN A LITTLE WORRIED ABOUT REALLY GETTING ON IT IN FIRST OR IN ANY GEAR FOR THAT MATTER UNTIL I CHANGE THE OIL. tHE CAR ONLY HAD 925 MILES ON IT WHEN I BOUGHT IT AND IT IS TWO YEARS OLD PLUS IT STILL HAS THE OIL FROM THE FACTORY. DOES ANYBODY HERE THINK THE ENGINE IS BROKEN IN YET AND WHAT TYPE OF OIL DO YOU GUYS RECOMEND? I REMEMBER READING SOMETHING ABOUT THAT IT HAD TO BE B RATED OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT, NOT SURE THO, I CANT FIND THE FORUM THAT I READ THAT ON. THE IDIOTS AT THE DEALERSHIP LOST THE MANUALS AND EVERYTHING ELSE IN THE GLOVE BOX SO I DONT KNOW ANYTHING THATS IMPORTANT ABOUT THIS VEHICLE. THE GUY TOLD ME IF THEY CANT FIND IT THEY WILL ORDER ME ANOTHER 1 FROM FORD. AT LEAST I GOT A GOOD DEAL ON IT THO, IT CAME OUT TO 39,627.63 AFTER TAX AND TAGS. ANY HELP ON THE OIL WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. THANKS AARON

·
Registered
47 Posts
OH YEAH I CAN DEFINETLY HEAR IT, IVE JUST BEEN A LITTLE WORRIED ABOUT REALLY GETTING ON IT IN FIRST OR IN ANY GEAR FOR THAT MATTER UNTIL I CHANGE THE OIL. tHE CAR ONLY HAD 925 MILES ON IT WHEN I BOUGHT IT AND IT IS TWO YEARS OLD PLUS IT STILL HAS THE OIL FROM THE FACTORY. DOES ANYBODY HERE THINK THE ENGINE IS BROKEN IN YET AND WHAT TYPE OF OIL DO YOU GUYS RECOMEND? I REMEMBER READING SOMETHING ABOUT THAT IT HAD TO BE B RATED OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT, NOT SURE THO, I CANT FIND THE FORUM THAT I READ THAT ON. THE IDIOTS AT THE DEALERSHIP LOST THE MANUALS AND EVERYTHING ELSE IN THE GLOVE BOX SO I DONT KNOW ANYTHING THATS IMPORTANT ABOUT THIS VEHICLE. THE GUY TOLD ME IF THEY CANT FIND IT THEY WILL ORDER ME ANOTHER 1 FROM FORD. AT LEAST I GOT A GOOD DEAL ON IT THO, IT CAME OUT TO 39,627.63 AFTER TAX AND TAGS. ANY HELP ON THE OIL WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. THANKS AARON
Just make sure you use Motorcraft filters!!!! Others can cause ticking (see threads on StangMafia.com) and save the receipt. And, it is still under warranty so don't be afraid to get into it .

SLC

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
....Is there anything i should know about this car other than its badass right out of the box?....Also, does anyone think there would be anything wrong with the engine as im sure it hasnt been all the way broken in yet with 900 miles on it in 2 years. Also from what i understand it still has the oil from the factory in it. I look forward to any and all replies. thanks, Aaron
Aaron,
Suposedly these engines don't require a break-in period.

Ford recommends a 5,000mi oil change interval and the Shelby supplement recommends Motorcraft SAE 5W-50 full syn or equivalent 5W-50 full syn meeting Ford spec WSS-M2C391-B.

Service prices at the local Ford dealership here are very competitive with the quick change shops so I have the dealership do my service work. Haven't done the Shelby yet though, but got a coupon for free 1st service. :pimp:

Good Luck & Enjoy!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sweet, So It Does Have To Have That B At The End Of It.....what Does That Mean? I Almost Got Some 5w50 At Auto Zone But Decided To Wait For A Reply On This Thread, Good Thing I Didnt. I Dont Have The Manual As The Dealer Lost It And Is Supposedly Ordering Me A New One.

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Sweet, So It Does Have To Have That B At The End Of It.....what Does That Mean? I Almost Got Some 5w50 At Auto Zone But Decided To Wait For A Reply On This Thread, Good Thing I Didnt. I Dont Have The Manual As The Dealer Lost It And Is Supposedly Ordering Me A New One.
The only "B" I saw in the Shelby manual was on the end of the Ford oil spec number.

So far I have no experience buying oil for the Shelby; I will get it serviced and the local dealership.

If I were to do my own, I would go with a good brand of 5W-50 full synthetic but would use the Ford filter or Ford racing filter.

There are quite a few guys on here that are more knowledgeable about the oil than I am and I'm sure one or more will step up with better info. :pimp:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts