Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Ford Shelby GT500 SVTPP SVTTP
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday my 2013 GT500 was upgraded to a new Ford Racing Super Cobra Jet Throttle Body and a smaller pulley, and then the car was retuned.

It previously had just a JLT 123mm CAI and 3.73 rear gears.

I didn't think that there would be much of a difference, but the upgrades added 40hp and 42tq, and everything about how the skinny pedal works is different than before. Throttle tip in is smoother and the car revs faster now. Heel & toe downshifting is smoother and easier to match revs... and 130mph comes PDQ! :p

The tuner said that my stock cats are holding the car back now, so I will have to do something about those at some point.

I included a couple of pics. Have a great one!

-Steven

Vehicle Hood Car Black Automotive design

Product Rectangle Slope Font Line

Attachments

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
37,090 Posts
Yesterday my 2013 GT500 was upgraded to a new Ford Racing Super Cobra Jet Throttle Body and a smaller pulley, and then the car was retuned.

It previously had just a JLT 123mm CAI and 3.73 rear gears.

I didn't think that there would be much of a difference, but the upgrades added 40hp and 42tq, and everything about how the skinny pedal works is different than before. Throttle tip in is smoother and the car revs faster now. Heel & toe downshifting is smoother and easier to match revs... and 130mph comes PDQ! :p

The tuner said that my stock cats are holding the car back now, so I will have to do something about those at some point.

I included a couple of pics. Have a great one!

-Steven

View attachment 223924

View attachment 223925
Impressive! Those are strong numbers!

Reactions: Steven

·
Registered
2013 GT500 SVTPP 2003 Oxford white cobra coupe, 2003 cobra coupe black, 1988 Foxbody Notch 5.0
122 Posts
Great numbers. Thanks for sharing. Clean looking engine bay too. Love the blue filter, matched the valve covers nicely.

·
Premium Member
2014 Shelby GT500 Vert, 2000 Roush Mustang GT Vert, 2019 Ford F150 Limited
499 Posts
Nice! That's the upgrades I'm installing in the spring. What size small pulley did you use?

·
Registered
2014 Shelby GT500 Track Pack - Sterling Grey
53 Posts
Nice, my car basically has the same mods, minus the rear gears. Good to know what ballpark HP I should be in. I'm in the same boat as you regarding the cats. Looking to do headers and some FFE next not only for the extra power but also for the awesome exhaust note that headers give you. Assuming you went with a 2.4" pulley?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice gains, what did it baseline @ ??
I bought the car with 7700 miles on the odo and the original GoodYear tires from 2013 still on the car. It looked completely stock. I later found out that the original owner had 3.73 rear gears installed, because the speedo and Waze were having a difference of opinion on how fast the car was really going.

I installed the JLT oil separators myself to make sure that the SC doesn't get any oil in it and took it to Dan DeSio at Pro Dyno in Fort Mill, SC to get it tuned. It pulled 612hp and 565tq. He was like "Huh?!" so he checked to see if it had a tune, a smaller pulley, something that would indicate why it was pulling such high numbers in stock form. Nope, it was bone stock! I brought a JLT 123MM CAI with me, so we installed that and then he sprinkled magic dust on the car and it pulled 649hp and 628tq. Dan said that the engine must have been built on a Wednesday LOL

Referring to the possibility of the engine belt breaking, Paul Connor (the master tech at Pro Dyno) told me "It's not a matter of 'if', but 'when'", so I took it in on the 19th and we upgraded the TB and installed the Metco idler and smaller pulley, and now it's at 689hp and 665tq. I teased Dan ... "You couldn't get 1 more hp out of it?!"hahaha

There is an SCMC/Pro-Dyno Fall Cruise-In and Dyno Day on Oct 31st.. maybe it'll pull 690!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice, my car basically has the same mods, minus the rear gears. Good to know what ballpark HP I should be in. I'm in the same boat as you regarding the cats. Looking to do headers and some FFE next not only for the extra power but also for the awesome exhaust note that headers give you. Assuming you went with a 2.4" pulley?
Yep, a 2.4" pulley

·
Premium Member
Ruby Red 2014
2,247 Posts
Dang, those are strong numbers for Stock.

Reactions: Norton and Steven

·
Registered
2014 GT500 Coupe SGM " 1 of 1 "
4,236 Posts
I bought the car with 7700 miles on the odo and the original GoodYear tires from 2013 still on the car. It looked completely stock. I later found out that the original owner had 3.73 rear gears installed, because the speedo and Waze were having a difference of opinion on how fast the car was really going.

I installed the JLT oil separators myself to make sure that the SC doesn't get any oil in it and took it to Dan DeSio at Pro Dyno in Fort Mill, SC to get it tuned. It pulled 612hp and 565tq. He was like "Huh?!" so he checked to see if it had a tune, a smaller pulley, something that would indicate why it was pulling such high numbers in stock form. Nope, it was bone stock! I brought a JLT 123MM CAI with me, so we installed that and then he sprinkled magic dust on the car and it pulled 649hp and 628tq. Dan said that the engine must have been built on a Wednesday LOL

Referring to the possibility of the engine belt breaking, Paul Connor (the master tech at Pro Dyno) told me "It's not a matter of 'if', but 'when'", so I took it in on the 19th and we upgraded the TB and installed the Metco idler and smaller pulley, and now it's at 689hp and 665tq. I teased Dan ... "You couldn't get 1 more hp out of it?!"hahaha

There is an SCMC/Pro-Dyno Fall Cruise-In and Dyno Day on Oct 31st.. maybe it'll pull 690!
Strong base line #.
I remember while I was waiting for my 14, ( 112 days ), reading the posts on the dyno thread on the SVTP site. People posted all kinds of #'s. 590, 604, 612, & I wondered if that Ford engineer was right about there only being 8 % drive train loss on the 5.8.
Well my tuner's dyno wasn't as generous as some, managed 585 or 11.7 % drive train loss..

·
Registered
53 Posts
Strong base line #.
I remember while I was waiting for my 14, ( 112 days ), reading the posts on the dyno thread on the SVTP site. People posted all kinds of #'s. 590, 604, 612, & I wondered if that Ford engineer was right about there only being 8 % drive train loss on the 5.8.
Well my tuner's dyno wasn't as generous as some, managed 585 or 11.7 % drive train loss..
Every dyno is going to read differently. Too many variables, such as the temperature, humidity, elevation, DA, what gear the pull was done in, what wheels and tires are on the car, etc. And that doesn't even take into account that different brand dynos read differently and what correction factor was used. Key is to measure the difference between baseline numbers and numbers after mods on the same dyno, preferably in similar weather conditions. At the end of the day what counts is what the car runs in the quarter mile or draggy hits on the street in Mexico, lol.

·
Registered
2014 GT500 Coupe SGM " 1 of 1 "
4,236 Posts
Every dyno is going to read differently. Too many variables, such as the temperature, humidity, elevation, DA, what gear the pull was done in, what wheels and tires are on the car, etc. And that doesn't even take into account that different brand dynos read differently and what correction factor was used. Key is to measure the difference between baseline numbers and numbers after mods on the same dyno, preferably in similar weather conditions. At the end of the day what counts is what the car runs in the quarter mile or draggy hits on the street in Mexico, lol.
No variables @ the track or on the street.....( prep, temp, driver skill, traffic, etc. )..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
No variables @ the track or on the street.....( prep, temp, driver skill, traffic, etc. )..
Speaking of "on the street"... the biggest problem that I have right now with the car is with the tires. They are new versions of the original GoodYear G2 tires (285/35R20)... and they have absolutely no grip. I can write my name in the street in 3rd gear!

I have seen lots of references to other tires, like drag radials or even the Toyo R888Rs. Which are the best for the street, where I might get stuck driving in the rain? Are the R888Rs really that good, or would a drag radial, like a Mickey Thompson ET street S/S or a Nitto NT555RII be better?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I was not trying to discount OP's dyno numbers, which are solid. I was just saying to take them with a grain of salt because of how they can vary from dyno to dyno and day to day. You are correct that there are also many variables when running on the street or track.

Speaking of "on the street"... the biggest problem that I have right now with the car is with the tires. They are new versions of the original GoodYear G2 tires (285/35R20)... and they have absolutely no grip. I can write my name in the street in 3rd gear!

I have seen lots of references to other tires, like drag radials or even the Toyo R888Rs. Which are the best for the street, where I might get stuck driving in the rain? Are the R888Rs really that good, or would a drag radial, like a Mickey Thompson ET street S/S or a Nitto NT555RII be better?
The R888r's are very sticky street tires and are basically a drag radial. Looking at their tread pattern I don't think they would be very safe in the rain. I have the Nitto NT555RII's in a 305/40R18 size and they work well. 1st obviously still spins and you have to pedal it but 2nd and up hooks just fine on the street. I think the 555R's are one of the best drag radials for the street. They may not have the most grip as say a mickey thompson ET street, but they also don't sway as much and maintain good street performance for spirited backroad driving with turns. They also claim to have the best life. Their tread pattern is also decent for the rain, although personally I try to avoid driving in the rain whenever possible. If you do get caught in the rain with any drag radial you want to play it safe and drive conservatively.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was not trying to discount OP's dyno numbers, which are solid. I was just saying to take them with a grain of salt because of how they can vary from dyno to dyno and day to day. You are correct that there are also many variables when running on the street or track.

The R888r's are very sticky street tires and are basically a drag radial. Looking at their tread pattern I don't think they would be very safe in the rain. I have the Nitto NT555RII's in a 305/40R18 size and they work well. 1st obviously still spins and you have to pedal it but 2nd and up hooks just fine on the street. I think the 555R's are one of the best drag radials for the street. They may not have the most grip as say a mickey thompson ET street, but they also don't sway as much and maintain good street performance for spirited backroad driving with turns. They also claim to have the best life. Their tread pattern is also decent for the rain, although personally I try to avoid driving in the rain whenever possible. If you do get caught in the rain with any drag radial you want to play it safe and drive conservatively.
Yeah, hot days = lower numbers for sure. It was mid 70s when he pulled it and it did quite well. I'm going back on Oct 31st for a cruise in / dyno day. We'll see how it does then! It pulled 620 (down from 650) at a dyno day in July, and it was 95+ degrees in there. Holy smokes everyone was sweating their buns off!

Thanks for the hints about the tires. They are exactly in line with what I've been reading. I have read a couple of posts where people have gone to the n-th degree on getting the widest possible tire under their fenders, by relocating the bump stops and all that. I am not looking to do that with mine since it is still in immaculate condition and not going to be a drag car... but I do want the car to be able to move when I hit the gas! 😂

·
Registered
2013 GT500
37 Posts
Nice I have all the same mods plus off road mids. Going catless will really wake the car up since you're putting so much air in

·
Registered
Numerous
1,589 Posts
Dang, those are strong numbers for Stock.
Many of these cars pulled very strong in stock form. My 2013 baselined at 642RWHP and 621RWTQ
Rectangle Font Parallel Slope Pattern

Solid numbers, but a little more should be possible... Similar mods (JLT 127mm CF CAI, CFM Twin Jet 67mm TB, VMP 2.4" Upper, 90mm Idler, BPS Oversized & Ported Plenum/Elbow, NGK TR7-IX plugs, VMP Triple-Pass Dual-Fan H/E, and Reische 170' Tstat) on mine produced 733RWHP and 713RWTQ.
Rectangle Font Slope Parallel Pattern

:iagree:

Local friend, @Keeno, runs R888Rs on his similarly modded '14. He hooks off the line better than my MPS4S, but his R888Rs are loud and not good on wet and/or cold roads. He also cooked his stock clutch on his first outing to the Pike Peak Airstrip Attack. Based on his experience, I decided I'd rather buy new tires than a new clutch. I also prefer the quieter ride and better handling MPS4S provide, so I'm sticking with them. No experience with 555Rs, but I've heard good things about them. Goodyear may have upped its game but, having experienced their Eagle F1 SC tires when my car was new, I avoid them like the plague.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts