Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,
I'm a new member. We live in the Florida Keys and have a summer home (farm) in southern Indiana.
We just purchased two Mustangs, a 50 anniversary GT and ordered a 2020 GT 500.
It all started when I flew home from the farm in August and rented a Mustang convertible at Miami airport.
I got there after midnight and the rental guy was too lazy to walk me over to where the mustangs were parked, so he pointed to one nearby.
It was parked with the high performance cars. I walked over and it was a 5.0 GT convertible. In the five days I was home, I had a blast with that car (very impressed).
Besides my 67 Corvette roadster, we have only owned and driven F250 super duty trucks for the last 40 years +.
I told my wife that I was really enjoying driving this GT.
She went to the dealer to have our 2019 F250 serviced and, while there, the owner sat next to her; and she told him about my having fun with the GT.
We have had a new Bronco ordered since Ford said they were bringing them back (May 2018).
She told the owner of the dealership that we may change from the Bronco to a Mustang. That's when he said he was getting one GT 500.
While filing the order we got to the track package and he said some people like the Recaro seats others hate them and that he had a GT350R in the lot for us to try the seats. We did not like them. He had me start it and flip the exhaust switch, holy smoke, this thing screamed.
While I was getting out of the car, I saw a black convertible nearby and asked about it. It was a 2015 50th anniversary 5.0 GT that he was selling for a friend.
It had 17,300 miles, so we made him an offer much lower than the asking price. In the next month, we had to return to the dealer a couple of times to have our other truck serviced. Each time, we would call him while we were on the way; and we would tell him we had our checkbook with us.
The last time we called, we left a message saying we were on the way with our checkbook. He replied to our call and said his friend would accept our offer if we went up $500, and that's how we got our first Mustang. I can't wait for the GT 500 to arrive.
We were telling Mike Shelby (Carroll's son) about the new purchase (GT500) and he asked if we got the painted stripes, we said no. He suggested we should. And he explained that that is one of the Shelby traditions. So we ordered them. My wife asked him if he would autograph the glove box door like his dad used to, and he said he would. We will be seeing him in June with the glove box door in hand.
This is the story why I joined your group.
Lou

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 Rapid Red/black 2011 Kona Blue/white
29,732 Posts
Great story Lou! Congrats on securing a 2020 GT500. It’s going to be fantastic!

Holler at fletchffletch or me if you need any forum assistance.

·
Registered
2014 GT500 Coupe SGM " 1 of 1 "
2,984 Posts
Welcome to the site, congrats on the purchase & order..

·
Super Moderator
5,038 Posts
Great intro!!! Welcome aboard, Lou! Post up some pics when you can of your GT.

The new GT500 is gonna be killer. I may have missed it -- what color combo did you get?

·
Registered
2011 GT500, Ingot Silver
1,730 Posts
Welcome from a fellow Hoosier.
Post a pic of your vette if you get a chance.
Where is your southern Indiana farm?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hi,
Thanks for the warm welcome!
Our farm is west of Bedford, In. In a town called Silverville and we use the Williams, In. post office. We ordered our GT500 in Magnetic with black over the top painted stripes.
The 2015 5.0 GT is in our toy hauler at the farm and won't have pictures till I go pick it up next week.
Both cars are going to live in the Keys as our farm is surrounded by limestone gravel roads.
Lou
Lou

·
Registered
2011 GT500, Ingot Silver
1,730 Posts
Hi,
Thanks for the warm welcome!
Our farm is west of Bedford, In. In a town called Silverville and we use the Williams, In. post office. We ordered our GT500 in Magnetic with black over the top painted stripes.
The 2015 5.0 GT is in our toy hauler at the farm and won't have pictures till I go pick it up next week.
Both cars are going to live in the Keys as our farm is surrounded by limestone gravel roads.
Lou
Lou
A C2 has been on my wish list for a long time. Your’s looks very nice!
We did a road rally this past summer that went through your neighborhood. Have enjoyed driving 450 between Williams & Shoals a few times. Had to stop and check out the Jug Rock also:
EF647647-AFAB-4763-BD71-BA3DAA10141F.jpeg

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
8,919 Posts
Welcome to the Forum! How did you manage to convince the dealership to sell you the GT500? Did you offer up your first born?:LOL: You're very fortunate to have scored a hit, the first time at bat! Historically, our members who have one on order have had to contact multiple dealers to obtain an allocation. I'm surprised you didn't buy the GT350 after having listened to the exhaust note! It is intoxicating!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess we got lucky! We have spent close to $200,000 at his dealership in the past year alone.
I know where there are two 2019 350's, one is an R, and also know of a new 2018 350.
The dealer that has the 18 350 is willing to take any offers, the window sticker is at $61,000 and he said they will accept offers below that.
The 2019 350R that I sat in is orange and we didn't like the Recaro seats. The other is just a 350 in white.
This dealer is hungry to sell both, and willing to negotiate.
Anyone interested, let me know and I'll put you in contact with either.
Lou

1 - 11 of 11 Posts