Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Bear with me here. You'll notice most of these questions will be rather rhetorical, but I do not want to learn from mistakes this time around. I have a lot of questions and don't have a lot of time to check multiple sites.

To start, what changes took place between the 07 and 08 models? What issues are 08s having that might not be a TSB yet? Any input on a decent break in period (mileage) before I decide to autoX?

Moving onto the detailing aspects of the car. What kind of cleaners are recommended for the interior (dash and armrest)? Can you wax the stripes, what wax do you recommend? Cleaners for the engine bay? Finally, what can I use to clean/ protect the wheels?

Thanks again guys,

Chris

·
Registered
2008 Red Super Snake, 2019 Mustang GT
315 Posts
The '08's also have the option of Ambient lighting and HID headlights.

Yes you can wax the stipes and I do.

ICE is what I use.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Hey guys,

Bear with me here. You'll notice most of these questions will be rather rhetorical, but I do not want to learn from mistakes this time around. I have a lot of questions and don't have a lot of time to check multiple sites.

To start, what changes took place between the 07 and 08 models? What issues are 08s having that might not be a TSB yet? Any input on a decent break in period (mileage) before I decide to autoX?

Moving onto the detailing aspects of the car. What kind of cleaners are recommended for the interior (dash and armrest)? Can you wax the stripes, what wax do you recommend? Cleaners for the engine bay? Finally, what can I use to clean/ protect the wheels?

Thanks again guys,

Chris
Chris, I don't understand what you mean by rhetorical. A rhetorical question is one which does not require/have an answer. however, your questions appear to have distinct answers.

Changes from '07 to '08 have been mentioned above...and there were a couple other minor ones...one relating to a different front lower control arm p/n change (not sure why) and then there were color eliminations (Tungsten) and I THINk maybe a new color combo (red w/black stripes?). In late '07 (mid year) they started offering nav systems.

As far as '08 issues...I don't know of any.

As far as break-in...perhaps 50 stops on the brakes before you autocross...other than that I don't think you need to break the car in.

As far as detailing, there are many opinions and places. There is a vendor here on this forum if you scroll down you can see. Also there is Griot's garage, they sell everything you'd need. Use leather treatment on the seats, and they sell vinyl conditioners for armrests and so on.

I recommend Zaino products, although it's not technically a wax...it's a car finishing system. Other people like the Ice. You can treat the stripes just like the other parts of the car.

For the engine bay, it depends on what you are cleaning. On any body colored part, use the same thing you use on the exterior. For hoses, use a rubber treatment, Griot's sells one, but any of many will work fine.

For the wheels, I use just the Zaino car wash soap and water...nothing else.

Dave

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chris, I don't understand what you mean by rhetorical. A rhetorical question is one which does not require/have an answer. however, your questions appear to have distinct answers.

Changes from '07 to '08 have been mentioned above...and there were a couple other minor ones...one relating to a different front lower control arm p/n change (not sure why) and then there were color eliminations (Tungsten) and I THINk maybe a new color combo (red w/black stripes?). In late '07 (mid year) they started offering nav systems.

As far as '08 issues...I don't know of any.

As far as break-in...perhaps 50 stops on the brakes before you autocross...other than that I don't think you need to break the car in.

As far as detailing, there are many opinions and places. There is a vendor here on this forum if you scroll down you can see. Also there is Griot's garage, they sell everything you'd need. Use leather treatment on the seats, and they sell vinyl conditioners for armrests and so on.

I recommend Zaino products, although it's not technically a wax...it's a car finishing system. Other people like the Ice. You can treat the stripes just like the other parts of the car.

For the engine bay, it depends on what you are cleaning. On any body colored part, use the same thing you use on the exterior. For hoses, use a rubber treatment, Griot's sells one, but any of many will work fine.

For the wheels, I use just the Zaino car wash soap and water...nothing else.

Dave
Thanks for the info guys. I've always thought a rhetorical question was one that had an obvious answer. Heh, live and learn.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts