Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I purchased a 2008 with 5,700 miles on it. It is vista blue and fully equiped. My drive home of a little over 100 miles was interesting. I enjoyed the power which the previous owner claims is 542 hp. I also own a 2006 gt.so know how a mustang is supposed to feel. I have read on here about clutch issues. This one feels fine and l like the way it releases, etc. BUT, twice on the way home I had to stop on steep grades. On both occasions as I started out the car shuttered which of course scared me a bit with some moron pulled up against my back bumper. The weather is not good for me to drive it again today or tomorrow. As soon as I can I will put in on my steep driveway and practice with it a bit to see if it is just me not used to the car and clutch or it is a clutch issue. If it is the car, I am sure not going to like this happening. Other than this.... I love the car. I have had some good running cars in that I had a corvette which was a 6 speed and a SSR with the LS2. This 500gt will run circles around either of them. One final comment is that the shift linkage/transmission having the springs forcing the shifter to the 3-4 positons is great. With the corvette it was impossible to get a good clean shift from 2nd to 3rd as you virtually had to hunt for third. The 500gt is far and away more user friendly.
I just got admitted to the forum and look forward to keeping up with comments and the news on this site.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 Rapid Red/black 2011 Kona Blue/white
29,784 Posts
Yesterday I purchased a 2008 with 5,700 miles on it. It is vista blue and fully equiped. My drive home of a little over 100 miles was interesting. I enjoyed the power which the previous owner claims is 542 hp. I also own a 2006 gt.so know how a mustang is supposed to feel. I have read on here about clutch issues. This one feels fine and l like the way it releases, etc. BUT, twice on the way home I had to stop on steep grades. On both occasions as I started out the car shuttered which of course scared me a bit with some moron pulled up against my back bumper. The weather is not good for me to drive it again today or tomorrow. As soon as I can I will put in on my steep driveway and practice with it a bit to see if it is just me not used to the car and clutch or it is a clutch issue. If it is the car, I am sure not going to like this happening. Other than this.... I love the car. I have had some good running cars in that I had a corvette which was a 6 speed and a SSR with the LS2. This 500gt will run circles around either of them. One final comment is that the shift linkage/transmission having the springs forcing the shifter to the 3-4 positons is great. With the corvette it was impossible to get a good clean shift from 2nd to 3rd as you virtually had to hunt for third. The 500gt is far and away more user friendly.
I just got admitted to the forum and look forward to keeping up with comments and the news on this site.
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your first Shelby! As for the clutch shudder... try higher RPMs and slipping the clutch a bit more.

You can use the 1st or 4th icons from the left to upload pics directly to the forum... show us your new toy!

I moved your intro thread to our new member area. We encourage everyone to put their first names in their signatures to make this place more friendly. Holler at fletchffletch or me if you need any forum assistance.

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I can't really remember the stock clutch, but vaguely remember it preferred a relatively quick engagement. When mine failed, it didn't shutter, just spun smoothly in 6th while the revs went up and car slowed down. Could be an aftermarket clutch issue (I had a SPEC on a different car that liked to chatter on engagement). Could also be wheel hop if you spun the tires. The stock control arms on these cars are garbage and the rear end will violently hop around during wheel spin (which is easily accomplished when trying not to roll back into someone). The wheel hop was strong enough to throw my radar detector off the windshield once when I was stock. Luckily, pretty much any aftermarket control arms will solve this and they are relatively cheap.

·
Premium Member
7,696 Posts
Ah yes ... I remember the original 2008 clutch problem well, and, it does "chatter" upon start up from a dead start ... you'll have to take yours out and try different techniques to see which works best for you. Unfortunately, it's a built-in "nature of the beast" with really no way around it. (except complete replacement). On mine, I found lower RPM's and quick engagement gave me the best chance of a smooth engagement, giving the engine just a slight rev and then engaging the clutch quickly as the RPMs dropped down. Old school thought was to rev the engine up and slip the clutch, but that made it worse on my car. It's because it's a twin-disc clutch that it doesn't behave the way an old-school single disc used to. Mine never had a problem with slippage or smooth shifting, just the dang "chatter" when taking off, either forward or reverse. It was a common, well-known problem on the 2007-09 models. Best of luck.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Clutch shudder isn't that uncommon with a dual disc set-up. I had it with the stock clutch and the RXT and my car is a 2012. You just have to develop your technique to help with the issue, because it can be minimized.

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
8,935 Posts
Yep, I had a 2007 and it did exactly what you describe; shuddering upon take up in first gear. It was prevalent for all cars 2007 through 2009 MY's. In 2010, Ford finally got the message from all the pissed off owners and changed the whole clutch system. It was wonderful! The 2010 and forward GT500's had a different system that required less pressure needed to depress the clutch and no more shuddering on take off. My 2011 and 2013 GT500 clutches were great! As blackcad55 said, it's the nature of the beast and unless you get a replacement clutch from Ford or an aftermarket one, you'll have to live with it. Ford dealers do put the 2010 system in any 2007-2009 GT500's that need a replacement clutch. There have been very few complaints about the Ford system, but be warned that some aftermarket system owners have complained about issues of take up etc. To be fair, many owners were also delighted with the aftermarket systems. It's up to you which you chose. I've just seen very few complaints about the FMC clutch system on this forum since 2008. If it becomes such an aggravation that it takes away from your driving enjoyment, then get the up-dated Ford system and you'll have the best chance of eliminating any future issues. It is well worth the money and transforms the car. Just my 2 cents. Welcome to the forum!! 😊

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
Welcome and congrats on your new toy. It’s already been said, technique with a dual clutch is everything when it comes to chatter. My 13 would chatter when I would jack up my technique and timing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You guys are great! I appreciate all the insight on this topic. I will get the car out on my driveway for some practice when the weather clears and see if I can develop a working technique. That clutch issue is really the only thing I don't love about this car and is certainly no deal breaker for me. Thanks again.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
I don't know if this is factual or not, but shudder seemed more predominant the more my car sits between usage. Maybe I just lose my feel for the clutch.

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
My timing can get tripped up if I drive a different manual for even just a few times. So I can see how long stints between seat time can need a minute or two to get back in the saddle.

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
8,935 Posts
Just as an aside, I find the new GT350's clutch system to be even easier than my 2013 GT500 that I traded in. It's take up is quite smooth and the pressure required to push the clutch in is equal to my 4 cylinder 6 speed manual Fusion!

·
Registered
2014 GT500 Coupe SGM " 1 of 1 "
2,990 Posts
Welcome to the site, congrats & good luck with the 08..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts