Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,399 Posts
I'm a Michelin man, so...
Street - Michelin Pilot Sport 4S (summer only) or Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 if you want to be able to drive in cold weather (below 40).
Traction - Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 or Toyo R888R if you don't mind road noise and short tire life

·
#1 Mike!
8,656 Posts
Cay Man: It sounds like you're in no hurry to expend extra money on this "new to you" car. I get it. Part of the responsibility of having a modern Shelby GT500 is knowing what tune you've got in it. (if it's other than stock). If it were me, and I'm definitely penurious, I would re-contact the dealer and pretty please beg him to go through his paperwork and try to find theperson who was the original owner of the car. Just give the dealer representative your contact information and ask him to contact the original owner and have him contact you in reference to the tune. The previous original owner modded it, so he's probably a car guy, and should be willing to contact you. If that fails, I would contact B.J McCarty (VNMOUS1) who is our forum expert on tunes and does it for a living. He's great to work with and can get you straightened out on what tune you have in your car. As said by many others, you DO NOT want to take even the slightest risk of damaging that engine. It's worth a couple hundred bucks to know your car is going to last. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Maybe I missed it: Did the Car come with a Tuner? If not contact one of the Tuners here. Also any Ford Dealer with the Vin # can run you a Free Oasis Report on the Shelby, which will give you the Ford history. Great looking ride, I too like Verts...

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
You have no aux idler Keith, but it is possible that there is a larger crank pulley on the car.
OR - that's quick-change pulley adapter on the snout. It's possible the first owner put that on with a smaller pulley, then went 'back to stock' later - putting a larger pulley back in place but leaving that quick-change option.

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
That upper looks smaller then 3", which is the stock diamter, although Metco offers one. The larger lower pulley I was referring to is the crank pulley. The aftermarket makes a 10% and 15% larger lower pulley that spins the blower even faster and makes more boost. It will be the large lower pulley on the end of the crankshaft.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Curious if anybody knows how to find the original dealer that sold the car? Or who it took delivery and had it titled first? Do any of those online websites actually reveal any useful info if you pay the 10 bucks or are the just trolling? My attempt today with former owner hit a brick wall. Turns out the dealer he purchased from picked it up at the auction with 3k miles on it.

Sounds like I'll be doing the mail order tuned job as the car did not come with one. How do I contact the VNMOUS1 fellow you speak of? Thank guys, Keith

·
Premium Member
863 Posts
Welcome cay man and fellow upstater. I am in Frankfort(suburb of Utica) Beautiful vert enjoy!

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Curious if anybody knows how to find the original dealer that sold the car? Or who it took delivery and had it titled first? Do any of those online websites actually reveal any useful info if you pay the 10 bucks or are the just trolling? My attempt today with former owner hit a brick wall. Turns out the dealer he purchased from picked it up at the auction with 3k miles on it.

Sounds like I'll be doing the mail order tuned job as the car did not come with one. How do I contact the VNMOUS1 fellow you speak of? Thank guys, Keith
@VNMOUS1

·
Moderator Dude!
28,388 Posts

You could get a copy of the window sticker and see who the original dealer was.

·
#1 Mike!
8,656 Posts

Keith: You can contact B.J at 352-800-4407. His web site is [email protected]. You'll thank me later! 😊

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
Looks like you're in New England....you should do an oil change before putting her away for the winter. Get on the web and order an oil change from Amsoil, 5W-50 and a filter. Also order the engine oil analysis kit at the same time. When you drain the oil, pull some out and send it to the address in the analysis kit. The analysis will take a couple weeks. This will give you peace of mind what the inside of your engine is doing, and a baseline for future use.

·
Registered
16 Posts
My recent purchase. Sad I will have to enjoy it in the garage for the next few months till spring.
View attachment 194611
That is a beautiful car! Not a vert guy myself but I would have to say the GT500 is the best looking vert on the planet! Color is awesome. Make sure you use something like TopCoat F11 or other similar product and don't use wax anymore. Will keep that bad boy looking stellar for years to come!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Keith: You can contact B.J at 352-800-4407. His web site is [email protected]. You'll thank me later! 😊
My local dealer was able to pull the build sheet for the car. Bought it used from that same dealer. Mine was built on my birthday 2011 (freaky huh?). Anyway, they also found out where it was delivered originally. Actually talked to the original dealer and got some history on the car. Worth a try possibly. That's how I found out so much about mine.
IMG_20180911_181516 - Copy.jpg

·
Moderator Dude!
28,388 Posts
Thanks for everyone's input. I got hooked up with BJ and in the process of getting it sorted out, looking forward to it.

Thoughts on these TOYO PROXES producing much road noise? View attachment 194675
Not sure which model those are, but I put Proxies 1 (possibly a discontinued model) on the front of my 2011 Shelby awhile back. They are good. I put them on the front because they were quiet. I put the older Proxies R888 tires on the back, which have fantastic traction, but are noisy bastards.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Thanks for everyone's input. I got hooked up with BJ and in the process of getting it sorted out, looking forward to it.

Thoughts on these TOYO PROXES producing much road noise? View attachment 194675
I run these on the front of my '09 (275/35ZR18) and I don't hear any road noise. Of course I also have the Borla S-Type mufflers on it too which have a pretty bad drone to them. I don't know if this is much help or not. If you need me too I can always take it for a run and get up to speed and then coast in neutral to see what they sound like, but I really don't think that they are noisy.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hi Cay Man
I am a new owner of GT500 2012 this past April , I to was the 3rd owner. Mine was modded by the previous owner and all the mods were unknown . I had a few issues wont go into that, But the BEST thing i ever did was join this forum. I posted my concerns and requested help. That's how I meet BJ @VNMOUS1 He explained things to me in Laymen terms so i could under stand. After 1 phone call with him he relieved all my concerns and now have a tuner ( you have to have one ) and a custom Tune by BJ for my car with all the mods I have,this is still a work in process and we will finish the tune when i pull it out of storage int he spring. I Would reach out to him, Don't bring it to a speed shop, A lot of them will just take your money and possibly hurt the car if they are not familiar with the GT500's . I truly cannot say enough about BJ, If you like PM me and I will be happy to talk a little about my experience. I have had my car in storage for a month and its killing me not to be able to drive it so i would love to at least talk about it and if i can help you save a lot money in the process i would be happy to .
Sincerely
X

21 - 40 of 42 Posts