Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Moderator Dude!
28,388 Posts
My recent purchase. Sad I will have to enjoy it in the garage for the next few months till spring.
View attachment 194611
Damn! That is a sexy car! I have the same year/combo in a coupe, but I dig your vert with the style bar!

Welcome to the forum Cay man! You’ll find our new member area here if you are up for introducing yourself:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm 3rd owner. The guy I bought from didnt do any mods, it was the original owner who did and nobody knows who or what he did. Part of the reason I'm here, looking for help in learning what's been done. It does have a full Corsa exhaust, but motor wise, I'm in the dark.

I have no intention of doing any further engine mods but I'd like to know what I have.

Im not a motor guy, just a middle aged dude with a lifelong appreciation for the GT500, finally had the resources to pull it off. The thing is an absolute monster and a joy to drive.

·
#1 Mike!
8,656 Posts
Congrats! That's a beautiful Vert. A couple of our members have similar looking cars! Love the stock wheels; you will too when you wash them! I used to go to Poughkeepsie quite a lot when my sister and her husband lived there. Are you near there? Lots of windy roads are available!

·
Moderator Dude!
28,388 Posts
I'm 3rd owner. The guy I bought from didnt do any mods, it was the original owner who did and nobody knows who or what he did. Part of the reason I'm here, looking for help in learning what's been done. It does have a full Corsa exhaust, but motor wise, I'm in the dark.
Since it was modded awhile back and running well, I can only assume it was modded properly. Having said that, a word of caution: there have been cases with these cars and we have seen some here on the forum where the mods or tune were not done properly and the subsequent owner has hammered on the car only to end up with a blown motor. It’s an expensive mistake. If you don’t have the tuner that came with the car and/or you don’t know the mod history, it is generally recommended that you do one of the following:

1. Schedule a dyno session with a speed shop that is familiar with these cars. Have them datalog the run and make sure your tune is good. They will hopefully make sure your air/fuel ratio is still good with the current mods.

2. Have the car retuned by a tuner you trust. This can either be a local speed shop that is familiar with these cars or a mail order tune by one of the tuners that normally tune GT500s. If you go the mail order route, you’ll need to know exactly what your mods are.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Goose17 thanks for your input. I'd like to have it gone through but am not privy to any speed shop/tuner people below Syracuse, NY. Can you confirm by my motor pic the extent it has been modified? The car starts instantly, runs pure with zero hesitation, spits or spudders or knocks.
-Keith

·
Moderator Dude!
28,388 Posts
Goose17 thanks for your input. I'd like to have it gone through but am not privy to any speed shop/tuner people below Syracuse, NY. Can you confirm by my motor pic the extent it has been modified? The car starts instantly, runs pure with zero hesitation, spits or spudders or knocks.
-Keith
All I see is the pulley and intake as mentioned above Keith. The standard basic mod on these cars is the pulley/intake/tune. Like I said, your car is most likely properly set up, but there is the unknown factor. Having it checked or retuned will be confirmation and peace of mind. The fact that the mods were done awhile back would make me feel better than if modded and then sold.

One mod I do recommend is a passenger side oil catch can.

·
Premium Member
1,399 Posts
Definitely has a C&L intake

Metco pulley (guessing 2.6).

If you look under the 2 hoses to the left of the supercharger, you should see either an idler pulley (90mm which is larger than stock 76mm) or another metco.

I'd look under the car and see if you have cats or headers.

Throttle body looks stock, so you should be able to do a mail order tune with that info and datalog it yourself. I'd recommend VMP Performance or BJ @VNMOUS1

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
Those mods require a tune. The problem is, absent confirmation from the previous owner, no one can tell you if the car has a tune or not. Once a tune is loaded, it can't be downloaded and analyzed. It also seems like most modded cars never come with a programmer either, so it's all conjecture. You can have the car datalogged to determine if parameters are safe or not, but may be cheaper in the long run to just order a tune and tuner for your mods.

You have a smaller upper pulley on the supercharger and an aftermarket CAI. Why do these need a tune? The pulley necessitates the need to recalibrate engine load because it's increasing engine boost. The stock load configuration is lower than what a smaller pulley can achieve. How does that impact your car? Load determines how much timing to give the car. The higher the load, the less timing your motor should be seeing. You can do this with a tune, but the stock tune can't pull enough timing for the smaller pulley. You also need to verify if the crankshaft pulley is stock or aftermarket. Aftermarket lower pulleys also increase boost levels.

So what's the deal with the cold air intake. These cars use a Mass AirFlow sensor (MAF). The MAF interprets air flow. The sensor uses an element that is calibrated to size of the tube its placed into to make that calculation. Change the size of the tube and you change the parameters of how air should be interpreted. A bigger tube, without changing the characteristics of the airflow with a tune, will make the miscalculate fuel requirements leaner and will not calculate load properly (understated). So lean and too much timing is a bad thing. Can you feel either by seat of pants? Not necessarily.

Another issue with these cars is that many are not driven often. Gasoline, or rather, octane has a shelf life. The more time that gas sits in the tank (either yours or the station), the more likely it is to lose octane. If you have gas that's in your tank that's a couple months old, is your car still tuned for what octane remains? Later cars have knock sensors, but the factory settings for know retard is 1*. I don't think many tuners change that table.

I know a tune and programmer are not cheap. But you have to look at as insurance. You know what you have, not a guess by someone. If the car is tuned, is it an agressive or a conservative tune. Was it tune for only one of the mods. Who tuned it and what was their experience level. Until you price a rebuild on one of these engines, you truly can't appreciate the bargain a tune and a knowledgable tuner really is.

·
Premium Member
6,499 Posts
On one hand, I understand that you're not interested in doing any further mods...

But on the other hand, by the time you go to the trouble of determining your existing mods and attempt to get a proper tune/tuner to provide peace-o-mind, and considering you've got all winter in your garage to accomplish, I'd use this as a great opportunity/excuse to upgrade the TB and swap to a TVS blower, get the tune to match, and come this spring you'll have somewhere in/around 680 rwhp to play with, 100% reliable.

I've got over 50,000 daily-driver miles on my TVS and tune, still with the stock clutch..

It can seem like an intimidating job to anyone who's not a wrench-head to begin with, but it's actually all quite straight forward.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks everyone for your input. Please keep them coming as I am always learning. So a little more history- the guy I bought it from purchased from a dealer as a recent trade. The 2nd owner put 2500 miles on it without doing anything but a dealer oil change. I drove it back (200mi) from NJ, and have put another 400mi since.
I can only assume the original owner bought it, modded and tuned, enjoyed it for a couple years, then traded on something new, the dealer just turned it over. Again, the guy I bought from was not a car guy, didnt really know what he had or what had been done. Having heard the story, my question is this: being that it has a combined 3000+ miles driven as an unknown, with zero issues, could I safely assume the thing is good to go as a Sunday driver? I'm not a track/strip racer, just cruzing back roads and occasionally tap the boost for a couple seconds (not too much as it just breaks loose and fishtails). I totally get the "insurance" thing with the addtl tune job but given the history and my mechanical know how is next to zero, could I safely just enjoy this thing with peace of mind without doing much else?

Sorry to be so long winded, just want to be transparent. Thank you guys for your time!

·
Moderator Dude!
28,388 Posts
Thanks everyone for your input. Please keep them coming as I am always learning. So a little more history- the guy I bought it from purchased from a dealer as a recent trade. The 2nd owner put 2500 miles on it without doing anything but a dealer oil change. I drove it back (200mi) from NJ, and have put another 400mi since.
I can only assume the original owner bought it, modded and tuned, enjoyed it for a couple years, then traded on something new, the dealer just turned it over. Again, the guy I bought from was not a car guy, didnt really know what he had or what had been done. Having heard the story, my question is this: being that it has a combined 3000+ miles driven as an unknown, with zero issues, could I safely assume the thing is good to go as a Sunday driver? I'm not a track/strip racer, just cruzing back roads and occasionally tap the boost for a couple seconds (not too much as it just breaks loose and fishtails). I totally get the "insurance" thing with the addtl tune job but given the history and my mechanical know how is next to zero, could I safely just enjoy this thing with peace of mind without doing much else?

Sorry to be so long winded, just want to be transparent. Thank you guys for your time!
It most likely is safe given the history, but none of us would know for sure. If it was my car, I would either try to track down the previous owners to ask questions (difficult to do) or do as @69bossnine suggested and use this as an opportunity to slap an upgraded supercharger on it with a new tune. Superchargers just happen to be on sale right now. A bigger blower will make the car crazy fun. I’ve been hammering on my 2.9L Whipple for 7 years now and would do it again in a heartbeat.

·
Premium Member
1,399 Posts
At a minimum, I would order the tuner and a tune from BJ or VMP (no mechanical know how needed). It's as simple as plugging in under your dash and you can then datalog with them via email and make sure you're safe. There's going to be that time that someone wants to race or incites road rage and you'll get into it a little longer than normal...you don't want to go boom.

If you're up for the challenge, I fully support Rick and Tim's suggestion of doing the blower swap...I'm sure you have some friends with wrenching ability and hopefully you can supply some liquid encouragement for their help and learn a lot about your car.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts