Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, everybody! Well I picked up my Alloy 08 w/ nav system last Fri. Traded my 03 torch red Mach 1 and couldn't be happier with the GT500.
Usually I research the heck out of everything, but this was a spur of the moment thing so I am looking for lots of info.

Been searching around, but haven't found a single source that really describes all the differences that make this Mustang a GT500. I am talking about what parts are upgraded right down to the engine internals, rear end internals, suspension , brakes, etc. Does such a resource exist?

Also, some sources indicate the tranny is a T-56 and others a T-6060. I believe it is a T-6060, but how is that different from the T-56?

Plan on upgrading the rear suspension first , then maybe a kit with pulley, cai and tuner. Possibly go with the FRPP kit, IDK yet.

Any links or additional info is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
welcome and congrats on your new ride. For spur of the moment purchases, you did it up right.

In my experience, a website like this is the best place to get answers to your questions. Lots of knowledgeable folks here.

What makes a GT500 and GT500...where to start...I'll give a few and let the others pitch in.

Unique to the GT500:
- S/C 5.4L 4V DOHC engine
- Brembo brakes w/ 14" rotors on front
- Unique front fascia
- All the Shelby & Cobra badging, of course
- Yes, the transmission is a T-6060

If you're looking for a pulley/CAI kit, check out JLT Performance and Evolution Performance.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Congratulations on your new ride.
The GT500 owner's supplement describes the differences well; take the time to read it along with the standard Mustang manual.
To add a few more items that are different than the Mustang GT:
The tires are different - Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercars
Unique 18" wheels
Active Alarm system - standard
The 8.8" rear axle has some unique parts in it - larger bearings
No spare tire or jack - just a fix-a-flat kit
Wheel locks - standard
Unique suspension parts - springs, shocks, struts, swaybars, LCA
There is also a cross brace somewhere on the underbody - called a front lower A-Arm brace (standard on GT convertable)
Speedometer and Tach are swapped
Boost gauge in place of the voltmeter
Up-Shift indicator
Performance Shift Indicator/audiable alert
Rear deck Spoiler, chin spoiler
Rear diffuser under the bumper
Leather covered steering wheel and parking brake handle
Some unique interior items - seats, leather on some seating surfaces, etc. with premium interior package
unique SVT door sill plates
strut tower brace
dual fuel pumps
engine oil cooler
5.4L engine uses 5W50 oil full-synthetic oil rather then 5W20
Flat wiper blades (don't know what is different about them)
6-Speed shifter
Satin aluminum finished dash
Unique exhaust system with X-pipe
unique aluminum hood with functional heat extractors

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Hi, everybody! Well I picked up my Alloy 08 w/ nav system last Fri. Traded my 03 torch red Mach 1 and couldn't be happier with the GT500.
Usually I research the heck out of everything, but this was a spur of the moment thing so I am looking for lots of info.

Been searching around, but haven't found a single source that really describes all the differences that make this Mustang a GT500. I am talking about what parts are upgraded right down to the engine internals, rear end internals, suspension , brakes, etc. Does such a resource exist?

Also, some sources indicate the tranny is a T-56 and others a T-6060. I believe it is a T-6060, but how is that different from the T-56?

Plan on upgrading the rear suspension first , then maybe a kit with pulley, cai and tuner. Possibly go with the FRPP kit, IDK yet.

Any links or additional info is appreciated.
I don't know of a single source...there are many differences. I see you are looking for SPECIFIC DETAILS of differences...such as the pinion bearing in the rear end....those we tend to come by on a "one off" basis...nowhere are those summarized. Perhaps you could create a list for us based on all our input. :info-smilie:

The GT500 uses a T6060 trans. Likely you're hearing T56 because the T6060 is the latest evolution of the T56.

Welcome to the forum, glad you like the car, and good job picking the fastest color. :ninja:

Here are a few starter resources:
http://www.cars.com/go/compare/trimCompare.jsp?acodes=USB80FOC211A0,USB80FOC051C0&compType=D

Here's the T56 info...but I don't see the T6060 on their website
http://www.ttcautomotive.com/English/products/T-56.asp

Here's more on the 6060
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TR-6060

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks guys. Exactly right, I am looking for specifics. And yes, I will compile a comprehensive list once I think I have enough info to do it justice. I am familiar with the basic aspects, but things like the cross brace and dual fuel pumps are exactly what I was looking for. And engine internals such as pistons, rods, etc. And what all makes up the "premium interior trim package".

I spent a few hours searching and discovered bits and pieces all around. Thought I might've missed something.

I have planned on buying one since I first saw the concept, but was waiting to see how the ADM's went. So, I am not unfamiliar with the car, just the details and specifics are a little elusive.

Anyhow, it is one awesome ride!

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Here is some information from Motor Trend's July 2006 edition:

Engine:
Shares bore, stroke, deck height, and bore spacing with the 5.4-liter Ford Triton truck engine.
Cast-iron block, aluminum four-valve heads from Ford GT, camshafts from 2004 Cobra.
Eaton R122 supercharger delivers maximum boost of 8.5 psi.

Body:
All 2007 Mustangs have reinforced bodies because of the GT500's extra power and torque.
Selected panels are now thicker gauge steel, and extra welds have been placed on key seams and joints to improve rigidity.

Now I interpret this as applying to all 2007 Mustangs - perhaps improvements over previous year models.

Rear Axle:
Live Axle upgraded over GT with stronger differential case material.
New differential side gears, and increased ring gear bolt torque.
Final drive is 3:31, same as the GT with automatic transmission.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Here is some information from Motor Trend's July 2006 edition:

Engine:
Shares bore, stroke, deck height, and bore spacing with the 5.4-liter Ford Triton truck engine.
Cast-iron block, aluminum four-valve heads from Ford GT, camshafts from 2004 Cobra.

Body:
All 2007 Mustangs have reinforced bodies because of the GT500's extra power and torque.
Selected panels are now thicker gauge steel, and extra welds have been placed on key seams and joints to improve rigidity.

Now I interpret this as applying to all 2007 Mustangs - perhaps improvements over previous year models.

Rear Axle:
6Speed is on a roll tonight :) you go guy!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Excellent!

Do we have forged axles? I know they are 31 spline.

I guess we do not have the Manley rods (yeah, I know, speak for myself!)?

The clutch is twin disc cera-metallic, did I read it is a Spec clutch?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Congrats on the new ride. Seems a lot of Mach 1 owners are stepping up to the GT500 lately. If I didn't love my Mach 1 so much I'd probably consider this trade as well. Instead my wife will be getting one in the next few years. Apparently once you own Mach 1's you just can't get away from them. My first car was a '70 Mach 1 and I still have it. :)

I'll leave the details of the GT500 to all the regulars on here. I'm on here to learn as much as I can about this car so that when my wife does get one I can make the best decision as to how to modify it because she's already told me she wants over 700hp like the Super Snake. Who am I to argue that point! :)

·
Registered
547 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
OK, This is what I got so far. Culled from this thread and several articles. Comments, corrections, suggestions, additions are all welcome. I will eventually reformat it.

Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercars
Unique 18" wheels
Active Alarm system - standard
The 8.8" rear axle has some unique parts in it - larger pinion bearing
No spare tire or jack - just a fix-a-flat kit
Wheel locks - standard
Unique suspension parts - springs, shocks, struts, swaybars, LCA
There is also a cross brace somewhere on the underbody - called a front lower A-Arm brace (standard on GT convertable)
Speedometer and Tach are swapped
Boost gauge in place of the voltmeter
Up-Shift indicator
Performance Shift Indicator/audible alert
Rear deck Spoiler, chin spoiler/splitter
Rear diffuser under the bumper
Leather covered steering wheel and parking brake handle
Some unique interior items - seats, leather on some seating surfaces, etc. with premium interior package
Unique SVT door sill plates
strut tower brace
Dual fuel pumps
Engine oil cooler
5.4L engine uses 5W50 oil full-synthetic oil rather then 5W20
Flat wiper blades (don't know what is different about them)
6-Speed Tremec T-6060
Satin aluminum finished dash
Unique exhaust system with X-pipe
Unique aluminum hood with functional heat extractors

Engine:

Body:

Proprietary steering pump and torsion arm to bump up steering feedback.

Rear Axle:

The Shelby's supercharged 5.4-liter, 32-valve V8 is similar to the engine in the GT. Ford started with the cast-iron 5.4-liter Triton V8 truck engine and added aluminum heads from the GT, specially calibrated camshafts, a Roots-type supercharger making 8.5 pounds of boost, and a water-to-air intercooler.

Under that blower is an all-new low-profile intake manifold, which allows the engine to fit under the GT500's special air-extraction hood. Fuel comes from a dual-bore electronic throttle body borrowed from Ford's 6.8-liter truck engine program, however, the larger radiator, increased-capacity cooling system and the exhaust manifolds are unique to this application.

The GT500's suspension is lower than a Mustang GT's, and uses recalibrated front and rear shocks, upgraded front and rear stabilizer bars and revised spring rates. The key to the GT500's three-link architecture, according to Ford, is the Panhard rod that provides precise control over the rear axle. It's centrally located and fastened to the upper front end of the differential, while trailing arms are located near each end of the axle.

It all rolls on 18-by-9.5-inch wheels wrapped in massive rear tires measuring P285/40ZR18 and fronts measuring 255/45R18.

The Brembo front rotors are 14 inches in diameter,and clamped by four-piston aluminum calipers. In the back, GT500 utilizes the Mustang GT’s 11.8-inch vented two-piston caliper rear-disc setup with unique pad material.

Reverse-L independent MacPherson strut, 34-mm tubular stabilizer bar.

Three-link solid axle with coil springs, Panhard rod, 24-mm solid stabilizer bar.

Unitized welded steel body; aluminum hood.

SVT engineers recalibrated the front and rear shocks and upgrading the front and rear stabilizer bars and revised spring rates. To dial-in even crisper steering response into an already rigid chassis, SVT is adding special shock-tower bracing and an additional structural "K-Member" (a brace that connects the rear lower arm bushings side to side) for track-capable performance. Ride height is lowered both front and rear.

Key to the GT500's three-link rear architecture is the Panhard rod that provides precise control over the rear axle. A central torque control arm is fastened to the upper front end of the differential, while trailing arms are located near each end of the axle. The lightweight, tubular Panhard rod runs parallel to the axle and attaches at one end to the body and at the other to the axle. SVT is tuning the rod bushings to handle the extra torque of the GT500 powertrain and firmly control the axle during hard cornering

Constant-rate coil springs and outboard shocks are also specially tuned for a controlled yet compliant ride. The shocks are located on the outside of the rear structural rails, near the wheels, reducing the lever effect of the axle and allowing a more precise and slightly softer tuning of the shock valves. The GT500 incorporates a separate upsized rear stabilizer bar to reduce body lean, adding to the sophisticated handling precision and performance.

Since a complete overhaul of the suspension systems was out of the question, the SVT crew focused on retuning every bushing, damper calibration, bar size, and spring rate for this new assignment. What they achieved is commendable: a cornering limit boosted from the Mustang GT's 0.87 g to the GT500's world-class 0.95 g without trashing the ride or bombarding the cockpit with road noise.

To put a stop on the GT500's power and handle its high-performance capability, SVT has employed some of the biggest brakes in the business. Continuing SVT's legacy of great-braking Mustangs, the GT500 features 14-inch Brembo brake rotors up front, clamped by four-piston aluminum calipers. The rear features 11.8 inchers with two-piston calipers. Unique 18- x 9.5-inch aluminum split-five-spoke wheels are wrapped in P255/45ZR18 high-performance rubber to help secure the GT500 to the road.

An all-new intake manifold helps to efficiently channel the supercharged fuel-air mixture into the cylinders. The low-profile manifold design also effectively packages the entire induction system under the GT500's special air-extraction hood. Fuel comes from a dual-bore electronic throttle body borrowed from Ford's 6.8-liter truck engine program. To manage heat produced by 500 horses, a larger radiator and increased-capacity cooling system also are installed.

Another major contributing component is the design of the cast-aluminum, four-valve cylinder heads sourced from the Ford GT supercar. Developed specifically for supercharged applications, these high-performance heads use high-flow ports and specially calibrated dual-overhead camshafts to deliver optimum engine "breathing" along with surprisingly good fuel efficiency and emissions. Also borrowed for use in the GT500 are the Ford GT's proven piston rings and connecting rod bearings.

A new front fascia, functional air splitter, larger grilles, hood-mounted air extractors, unique rear fascia and an integrated decklid spoiler are all designs cues that are pure Shelby.

The interior is completely wrapped in ebony black leather, including the top of the dash, door panels and center arm rest. Also wrapped in ebony leather are the shift lever, shift boot and parking-brake handle. Snake logos embroidered into the seat backs finish the package.

The Shelby GT500 script and Cobra image are repeated on the steering wheel cap. Behind the wheel are titanium-faced gauges swapped in location so that the tachometer is dominant visually for the driver. The chrome accessories inside the cabin have been replaced with a satin aluminum finish, including the aluminum shift lever knob that is nicely positioned for quick, positive shifts of the six-speed transmission.

The GT500 gives new meaning to the term "leather interior" as the dash, seat borders and door panels are completely wrapped in Black Ebony leather. Also wrapped in ebony leather are the shift lever, shift boot and parking-brake handle.

Mini-perforated leather seat inserts cover the GT500's extra-supportive bucket seats for a soft, supple hide that breathes, making for a more comfortable ride. As an added styling touch, Cobra emblems are embroidered on the front seatbacks.

When the driver takes hold of the steering wheel, he or she will instantly know this is a car made for the serious car enthusiast in part due to the substantial size and feel that enhances driver control.

The upgraded trim adds stitched leather covers for the top of the instrument panel, the armrests, and the center console, plus an electrochromatic rearview mirror and aluminum pedal covers.

SVT-style, titanium-faced instruments and performance shifter keep driver connected. For visual contrast, the GT500 features satin-aluminum finished trim (rather than traditional chrome).

High-performance driving involves keeping track of a myriad of visual inputs, and that includes the regular monitoring of engine and other vehicle system functions. As such, the GT500 has a unique instrument cluster specially designed for the needs of an enthusiast driver. To enthusiasts, a tachometer is at least as important as a speedometer, and a full array of gauges is a must. As such, the positions of the tachometer and speedometer are reversed on the GT500, making the tachometer the dominant gauge visibly for the driver. Also, the voltmeter gauge is replaced with a boost gauge that monitors the performance and health of the supercharger.

·
Registered
175 Posts
As outlined in the post above, the GT 500 is truly a unique vehicle. The thing I like is that you don't see another one at each street corner.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
OK, This is what I got so far. Culled from this thread and several articles. Comments, corrections, suggestions, additions are all welcome. I will eventually reformat it.

The 8.8" rear axle has some unique parts in it - larger bearings

Engine:

The Brembo front rotors are 14 inches in diameter,and clamped by four-piston aluminum calipers. In back, 13-inch rotors and four-piston calipers.

Good job pulling all this together. I have a couple minor changes for you...please don't think I'm busting your chops...just trying to help make the list solid.

1) I believe there is only one bearing in the differential that is bigger, and that's the pinion bearing...may want to take the "s" off of bearings.

2) Are the cams really the same as the '04 Cobra? That's the first time I've heard that. I'm not saying you're wrong...just never heard that.

3) I believe the rear discs are actually 11.8...see this article. I've seen the same 13" claim in many articles, but I think those were early stories before production had started. http://media.ford.com/newsroom/feature_display.cfm?release=22364

Dave

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Thanks Dave.

You're probably right on all counts. Some of these articles were a couple years old. I saw several articles that said the rotors were cross-drilled too! Knew that wasn't correct. Anyhow, I want to be as accurate as possible. No suggestion too small.

Rear brake info updated and pinion bearing specified!

I'll look into the camshaft thing a little further. Without confirmation, I'll delete it. I read that the exhaust cams of the Termi, Mach and GT500 were the same, but that the intake was "specially" calibrated!?

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Thanks Dave.

You're probably right on all counts. Some of these articles were a couple years old. I saw several articles that said the rotors were cross-drilled too! Knew that wasn't correct. Anyhow, I want to be as accurate as possible. No suggestion too small.

Rear brake info updated and pinion bearing specified!

I'll look into the camshaft thing a little further. Without confirmation, I'll delete it. I read that the exhaust cams of the Termi, Mach and GT500 were the same, but that the intake was "specially" calibrated!?
Thanks shaker...keep us posted on those cams...the article may be right.

·
Registered
938 Posts
One other thing this has is BAD A$$ ATTITUDE sorry for the profanity but sometimes you need to use it to get the point across.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Good job pulling all this together. I have a couple minor changes for you...please don't think I'm busting your chops...just trying to help make the list solid.

1) I believe there is only one bearing in the differential that is bigger, and that's the pinion bearing...may want to take the "s" off of bearings.

2) Are the cams really the same as the '04 Cobra? That's the first time I've heard that. I'm not saying you're wrong...just never heard that.

3) I believe the rear discs are actually 11.8...see this article. I've seen the same 13" claim in many articles, but I think those were early stories before production had started. http://media.ford.com/newsroom/feature_display.cfm?release=22364

Dave
As far as I know the GT500 concept had 13" rotors in the back that's probably where that comes from and about the cams I have read that in several places too, i have never compared them side to side but it's been mentioned in several places

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
The brake pads on the GT500 have a different friction material than the Mustang GTs - spews all kinds of dust on our cars.

I recall reading that the size of the intake and exhaust valves are different between the GT500 and Ford GT. Does that mean that the Heads are not exactly the same ones used on the Ford GTs.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The brake pads on the GT500 have a different friction material than the Mustang GTs - spews all kinds of dust on our cars.
Man, you got that right!

I recall reading that the size of the intake and exhaust valves are different between the GT500 and Ford GT. Does that mean that the Heads are not exactly the same ones used on the Ford GTs.
I'll keep an eye out for clarification on this.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts