Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got the new Magazine today and front cover GT500 that they are doing as a project with Mods. Tires, Tune, Exhaust and the results running the 1/4. There goal is to get it in the 10's I guess they don't surf the net that much to see that evolution has already got it in the 9's. But anyhow some good reading. Also the new Hot Rod Mag has a big write up on Evolution and his car also good reading material :)

So get off the computer and get to books a million or the like and pick up some new reading material :)

·
Registered
324 Posts
I looked through both of those mags and they are indeed good articles. There is also a comparo between an 03 cobra an a Shelby both on stock form and with similar bolt-ons; thats on 5.0 mustang and super fords magazine. We all know what car comes out on top but its still good reading material.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Its not so much which car is better, its more about how easy bolt ons are for the Shelby. Surprised quite a few folks and is news worthy just like it was for the 03s. Just a few bolt ons make major and fairly reliable improvements in the car.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I am sorry if you misunderstood my comment jcthorne, I am a big mustang fan and in particular with cobras. My daily driver is a 96 cobra with mystique paint but what I meant is just what you pointed out. Of course the Shelby is going to benefit from the extra cubic inches, we all have heard the saying "no replacement for displacement" but they compared both with similar bolt-ons and thats just what they were trying to get at.

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Just got the new Magazine today and front cover GT500 that they are doing as a project with Mods. Tires, Tune, Exhaust and the results running the 1/4. There goal is to get it in the 10's I guess they don't surf the net that much to see that evolution has already got it in the 9's. But anyhow some good reading. Also the new Hot Rod Mag has a big write up on Evolution and his car also good reading material :)

So get off the computer and get to books a million or the like and pick up some new reading material :)
Mags are largely driven by who is paying to advertise in them.

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I emailed the magazine and they replied, I put in a good word for Jay since he was the first to have a CAI for the Shelby, I got an email back the next day from them thanking me for getting magazine and than went on to tell me...Blah Blah Blah. I also mentioned to them that Evolution is in the 9's with his beast so there mustang in the 10's is no big deal. They are going to do more mods to it but from what I gather they will be using someone elses tune, and CAI. Jay advertises in that mag so you would think he could get some love out of them :( I am looking forward to next month when they put the gears in :)

What they wrote back:

Sent: Thursday, December 28, 2006 10:48 AM
To: Clements, Bill RCP
Subject: Re: Contacts_MMFF website

We have a full feature on the EP car in our next issue. That car is fully modded with race brakes and a roll bar, very cool, but not quite what everyone will do to a $42,000 (err $70,000) car. The intent of the bolt-on article was to show what simple mods are worth on the Shelby. Good luck with your car and thanks for reading MM&FF.

Evan

·
Registered
150 Posts
Great article, thanks for posting....although reading this stuff makes me even more mentally haywire waiting for the ol' VIN.

The second mod they did was an ECU re-flash altering fuel mixture and timing, also raising rev limiter from 6000 to 6500 rpm. Sorry if this is a novice question-- maybe the GT500 factory rev limiter setting of 6000 can be assumed to be at a conservative level(?) but how does anybody know that regular runs to 6500 rpm won't seriously affect engine longevity?

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Anytime you run anything at 100% mechanical wise you are shortening the life, as a rule when all parts are new they should be able to take it, but for example if your car had 100,000 miles on it running it redline every gear well make sure you have your cell phone with you :)

After my new tune I can run to 6,500 but do it rarely. Driving normally (if you can do that with this car) I never see redline maybe 4500-5000 shifts if I am feeling a little aggressive but it is nice to know you have it when you need it. I read somewhere that when the motor was in beta and not locked down that they would run it up to 6,800 rpm's just to see how it would hold together.. than locked it at 6K to be safe. Same way with the tune.. they wanted to be safe if someone would be running 87 octance or less that they would not blow the motor.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Great article, thanks for posting....although reading this stuff makes me even more mentally haywire waiting for the ol' VIN.

The second mod they did was an ECU re-flash altering fuel mixture and timing, also raising rev limiter from 6000 to 6500 rpm. Sorry if this is a novice question-- maybe the GT500 factory rev limiter setting of 6000 can be assumed to be at a conservative level(?) but how does anybody know that regular runs to 6500 rpm won't seriously affect engine longevity?
every time your crank it up you affect the longevity. As my dad says .... it will only do that so many times.

·
Registered
324 Posts
While I am no expert on the matter all I can say is that an engine is designed to work within a certain rpm range, there are several factors involved like the valve springs or the engine stroke, and while you may be able to raise a rev limiter you will shorten the life of the engine. Now when you talk about engine life theres even more factors to that, someone that only uses the car for quarte rmile runs is going to get less engine life that someone that uses the car under "normal" conditions, also mods will affect that. The main point is that you are happy with the use you get out of the engine, these cars were meant to be enjoyed and not to be stored away for someone to enjoy many years after I am gone. Enjoy teh GT 500 experience...:)

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
every time your crank it up you affect the longevity. As my dad says .... it will only do that so many times.
Cranking a car up does not automatically run it to the rev limiter, your foot has to do that.

The stock limiter is at 6250rpm on the Shelby. The Ford engineers I have worked with feel 6500rpm is safe.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts