Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 GT500 , black, no stripes, tech package and carbon fiber, JLT cai
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have been haunting this site for two months and really enjoying it. Great people, excellent information and just plain fun. I had a build date of March 30, so naturally I'm waiting like so many of you have been. I had a 2012 GT500, then a 2016 CTSV, then a 2019 Camaro ZL-1 and now an LC500 as an interim before the real car arrives. All, except the LC500 (which so can't be modified) have been lightly modded and run at the Texas mile (best so far 180.7 in the Camaro), and that is the plan for the 2020 (trying for over 185). Always looking for information on the latest mods for the 2020 and this site has been the best I've seen.
Thanks to all for having such a great site. Looking forward learning more and enjoying the day to day conversations.
Stay safe and healthy, we'll all be back at the track and on the streets soon.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP on order 2011 Kona Blue/white
32,272 Posts
Have been haunting this site for two months and really enjoying it. Great people, excellent information and just plain fun. I had a build date of March 30, so naturally I'm waiting like so many of you have been. I had a 2012 GT500, then a 2016 CTSV, then a 2019 Camaro ZL-1 and now an LC500 as an interim before the real car arrives. All, except the LC500 (which so can't be modified) have been lightly modded and run at the Texas mile (best so far 180.7 in the Camaro), and that is the plan for the 2020 (trying for over 185). Always looking for information on the latest mods for the 2020 and this site has been the best I've seen.
Thanks to all for having such a great site. Looking forward learning more and enjoying the day to day conversations.
Stay safe and healthy, we'll all be back at the track and on the streets soon.
Welcome to the forum and congrats in advance on your impending 2020! 🤟

I’ve had mine since Dec. You are going to frigg’n LOVE IT!

That’s quite the nice list of cars you’ve had. Your 2020 will be the best one yet. Holler if you have any questions about the car.

We encourage everyone to put their first name in their signature to make this place more friendly. Holler at fletchffletch or me if you need any forum assistance. Thanks for introducing yourself!

·
Premium Member
1,864 Posts
Just curious - why can't the LC500 be modified? Computer locked down, or just no aftermarket parts?

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for the kind welcome. The LC500 is a beautiful car (ask my wife, who asked if I could take the snakes off the 2012 Shelby), but comes with only 471hp, lower torque and weighs 4400lbs. The folks who buy them tend to be older (I'm 71) and less interested in speed versus cruising. Seemed like a good idea at the time, but quickly realized hey, where's the power, noise, fun and running The Mile?
The most aggressive mod I saw was headers which were insanely priced. Can't wait for the 2020 to get here. In fact, I just ordered the new JLT cai. Likely will get here before the car. Then on to a lower pulley, plugs, tune... Whoa, I'm definitely back. I'll see what I can do about some pics. Again, thanks for the warm welcome and the great site.
Dick

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
32,272 Posts
I'll see what I can do about some pics.
Use the first icon to upload multiple pics at once (hit “insert” after this option) or the 4th icon for individual pics:

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
32,272 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That car is beautiful in any color. As the assembly plants are starting to open, hopefully my car will actually be built and I can start the mods. Especially as the JLT cai has already arrived and my wife has seen it. By the way, any recommendations on tuner shops in the Dallas area. Need install on pulley, tune and dyno.
Dick

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
32,272 Posts
That car is beautiful in any color. As the assembly plants are starting to open, hopefully my car will actually be built and I can start the mods. Especially as the JLT cai has already arrived and my wife has seen it. By the way, any recommendations on tuner shops in the Dallas area. Need install on pulley, tune and dyno.
Dick
The only Mustang tuner I know of off the top of my head in the DFW area is Manny at HPP Racing. I have no idea if he has any experience with the 2020 GT500 though. Why not go with an online tuner that is well versed with these cars like Palm Beach Dyno, VMP or Lund...?

Reactions: Evil_E

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The only Mustang tuner I know of off the top of my head in the DFW area is Manny at HPP Racing. I have no idea if he has any experience with the 2020 GT500 though. Why not go with an online tuner that is well versed with these cars like Palm Beach Dyno, VMP or Lund...?
Thanks to this site, I have been following PBD, VMP, Lethal and Lund on the developments and agree with you that going with the guys you mentioned is a good idea. The results have been really encouraging, and it looks like 800rwhp is readily available with minimal reliability problems. However, while installing the cai is a no brainer, installing a lower pulley and related items is well beyond my skill level, so I'm looking for a quality mechanic to help out. Thanks for the lead on Manny. I will look into that shortly.
Dick

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
32,272 Posts
Thanks to this site, I have been following PBD, VMP, Lethal and Lund on the developments and agree with you that going with the guys you mentioned is a good idea. The results have been really encouraging, and it looks like 800rwhp is readily available with minimal reliability problems. However, while installing the cai is a no brainer, installing a lower pulley and related items is well beyond my skill level, so I'm looking for a quality mechanic to help out. Thanks for the lead on Manny. I will look into that shortly.
Dick
From all of the modded cars I’ve seen on forums and FB, I have yet to see one problem. There are cars hitting 1000 rwhp on stock internals, which is truly amazing! The only “issue” I’ve seen is added heat with added boost, but there are mods to combat this as well. Most owners that add boost to their 2020 swap the upper clutched pulley for a smaller one. This appears to be a fairly easy and straight forward mod. If you want to retain the clutch mechanism, you’d have to up-size your lower, which would be more of a challenge.

I haven’t used Manny for tuning, so I cannot attest to his skill set, but he did run my 2011 on the rollers and datalogged it for me. We also used his shop for a driveshaft and gears install. I had no complaints with his shop.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
From all of the modded cars I’ve seen on forums and FB, I have yet to see one problem. There are cars hitting 1000 rwhp on stock internals, which is truly amazing! The only “issue” I’ve seen is added heat with added boost, but there are mods to combat this as well. Most owners that add boost to their 2020 swap the upper clutched pulley for a smaller one. This appears to be a fairly easy and straight forward mod. If you want to retain the clutch mechanism, you’d have to up-size your lower, which would be more of a challenge.

I haven’t used Manny for tuning, so I cannot attest to his skill set, but he did run my 2011 on the rollers and datalogged it for me. We also used his shop for a driveshaft and gears install. I had no complaints with his shop.
VMP has a nice selection of lower pulleys, but the 20% and 30% ones require tensioners, which is fine. I don't know much about the pros and cons of the loss of the clutch, but would be interested in finding out. Also, this is going to be my daily driver, and I think 800 will get me to 185 in the mile and still be comfortable on the street. Even for my wife.

·
Premium Member
2008 Vapor/Black Coupe
1,751 Posts
Way off topic, but did you like the ZL-1 or LC500 more as a high mileage daily driver?

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Way off topic, but did you like the ZL-1 or LC500 more as a high mileage daily driver?
Far and away the ZL-1. Louder, rougher riding, cheap interior, made my wife complain. I loved it. That said, if you are going to be in traffic mostly, the Lexus wins. Quiet, comfortable. smooth, great interior, adequate power and my wife loves it.
Off topic also, but I just got a build date of 06/09 from Ford Performance. Like everybody else, waiting is a bear, but at least I have an idea when it's coming.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
32,272 Posts
I just got a build date of 06/09 from Ford Performance. Like everybody else, waiting is a bear, but at l
Fan-FRIGG’N-tastic! 🤟 Congrats!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts