Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kary here.
Own a 2020 gt500 black with blue stripe. Used to own a 2014 also. Live in Nebraska. Had it out on our local 1/8th mile track but disappointed on the 60' times. Maybe it's the track. I put a set of nitto 555r2's on and got to 7.9. With a 1.9 60'. Dropped a pound of air in tires and then it starts to wheel hop a bit. 17 was wheel hop. I have much to learn. But here for all advice you have. Looking at if I should go to MT. But then have to run a 305 on rear. I see people posting much faster 60' times and eights. I am hear to learn.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP on order 2011 Kona Blue/white
33,181 Posts
Kary here.
Own a 2020 gt500 black with blue stripe. Used to own a 2014 also. Live in Nebraska. Had it out on our local 1/8th mile track but disappointed on the 60' times. Maybe it's the track. I put a set of nitto 555r2's on and got to 7.9. With a 1.9 60'. Dropped a pound of air in tires and then it starts to wheel hop a bit. 17 was wheel hop. I have much to learn. But here for all advice you have. Looking at if I should go to MT. But then have to run a 305 on rear. I see people posting much faster 60' times and eights. I am hear to learn.
Welcome to the forum Kary! You can use the 11th icon in the reply window (rectangle) to upload a pic of your car directly to the forum to let us see that beauty. Congrats on your 2020!

As for launching the car, I have a handful of passes on tracks and I’ve also done launches on the street. I am assuming you used Drag Mode and launch control...? What launch RPMs did you use? I found that the best RPM was different depending on the track and conditions. If the car launches and falls on its face, the RPMs are too high for the allotted traction. Dial the RPMs down or get more traction by doing the following:

• line lock burnout to heat the tires
  • more track prep
  • better tires
  • play with tire pressure, which is what you are asking
Toyo R888R has been a “fan favorite” for both road course and drag strip guys. Fortunately there is the correct OEM size available for the rear of the 2020. Last I checked, there wasn’t an exact same size 305 for the front.

My recommendation with your current tires and current track is to get the tires warm with a burnout and then try a launch RPM somewhere in the middle. Then adjust up or down depending on what happens (easy launch or bog).

Hope that helps. You will probably get more racing advice if you make a new thread in our racing sub forum. On a different note, we encourage everyone to put their first name in their signature to make this place more friendly. Holler at fletchffletch or me if you need any forum assistance.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP on order 2011 Kona Blue/white
33,181 Posts

·
Registered
2014 GT500 Coupe SGM " 1 of 1 "
3,433 Posts
Welcome to the site,.................had to look twice to see the stripes..

·
Premium Member
2020 GT500 Twister Orange
149 Posts
Welcome and nice snake in the grass! (y)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts