Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, just wanted to introduce myself. I retired from the military a few years ago and got into law enforcement. I'm now a Detective with my local Sheriff's Office. I've been messing with Mustangs for years now and I currently have a '66 Mustang coupe(289) and a '68 Mustang coupe(302) I recently picked up a GT500.

About two weeks ago, my wife and I drove up to Va. pick up a new Explorer ST that she had saw online. When we got to the dealership, they had a 2008 GT 500 on the lot, with only 10,000 miles. I had no plans of buying a vehicle but the dealership made me a pretty good offer and my wife kept pushing me to get it because she felt like if I had a newer car, there would be less to work on so I would spend less time in my shop. Wrong!!!! But needless to say, we left with the Explorer and the Shelby. I have family members in the area who are gearheads, so I was able to get a trailer and pulled it back home. Just tying it down was a challenge because of how low it sat.

The more I look under the hood, the more I realize I have a lot to learn about these cars! It's a big step up from a carbureted 289 or 302. So I will be searching this site a lot for information and advice.

My first two goals with this car is to get the driver side door upholstery fix. The leather has come loose and I need to fix that. The day i got it home, I tried fixing it with spray adhesive but it only held for a few days and now its off again.

The next thing will be the exhaust. I have a buddy who loves the sound of the supercharger whistling, but I need that rumble in the back. I'm looking at upgrading the exhaust to get a deeper sound.

So thanks for letting me join the group and I look forward to learning more about the Snake!

I will post pictures later.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 CFTP Red! 2011 Kona Blue
33,715 Posts
Hello everyone, just wanted to introduce myself. I retired from the military a few years ago and got into law enforcement. I'm now a Detective with my local Sheriff's Office. I've been messing with Mustangs for years now and I currently have a '66 Mustang coupe(289) and a '68 Mustang coupe(302) I recently picked up a GT500.

About two weeks ago, my wife and I drove up to Va. pick up a new Explorer ST that she had saw online. When we got to the dealership, they had a 2008 GT 500 on the lot, with only 10,000 miles. I had no plans of buying a vehicle but the dealership made me a pretty good offer and my wife kept pushing me to get it because she felt like if I had a newer car, there would be less to work on so I would spend less time in my shop. Wrong!!!! But needless to say, we left with the Explorer and the Shelby. I have family members in the area who are gearheads, so I was able to get a trailer and pulled it back home. Just tying it down was a challenge because of how low it sat.

The more I look under the hood, the more I realize I have a lot to learn about these cars! It's a big step up from a carbureted 289 or 302. So I will be searching this site a lot for information and advice.

My first two goals with this car is to get the driver side door upholstery fix. The leather has come loose and I need to fix that. The day i got it home, I tried fixing it with spray adhesive but it only held for a few days and now its off again.

The next thing will be the exhaust. I have a buddy who loves the sound of the supercharger whistling, but I need that rumble in the back. I'm looking at upgrading the exhaust to get a deeper sound.

So thanks for letting me join the group and I look forward to learning more about the Snake!

I will post pictures later.
Welcome to the forum! Congrats on the Shelby score! 🤟

For better sound, I recommend Roush Extremes for the 07-10 GT500. For your door panel issue, we have multiple threads in our problems sub-forum that address this.

Thanks for introducing yourself. Thanks for your service. Please click your upper right avatar/account settings/vehicle details and enter your car year. It then shows under your screen name, which helps in conversations here. We cover multiple years of the GT500 on this forum.

Also, we encourage everyone to put their first name in their signature to make this place more friendly. Holler if you have any forum questions.

·
Premium Member
2020 Shelby GT500 base + handling pack
921 Posts
Welcome and congrats!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

For better sound, I recommend Roush Extremes for the 07-10 GT500. For your door panel issue, we have multiple threads in our problems sub-forum that address this.

Thanks for introducing yourself. Thanks for your service. Please click your upper right avatar/account settings/vehicle details and enter your car year. It then shows under your screen name, which helps in conversations here. We cover multiple years of the GT500 on this forum.

Also, we encourage everyone to put their first name in their signature to make this place more friendly. Holler if you have any forum questions.
Thanks for the advice.

·
Super Moderator
5,401 Posts
Welcome aboard, Alvin! Thanks for sharing your story -- I enjoyed reading it. Have fun on the forum.

·
Registered
46 Posts

Maury T here. Welcome to another stage of humor and nawledge. Love the 197's myself as I have a 2009 GT-500. Lots of Shelby's and Mustangs here in the Hampton Roads area. Love to see the pic of your babe

·
Premium Member
2014 GT500 Ruby Red
453 Posts
Outstanding, it sounds like your wife looks out for her husband! Reminds me of back in 2005, went to the Ford dealership to look at a King Ranch Expedition for my wife, but she decided it was too much money. However the 2005 retro body style Mustangs had just come out and they had a black GT coupe siting out front with everyone drooling on it, and she told me, "why dont you get it?" I thought it was trap, but she kept pushing me to get it and we came home with a new GT for me! Course she then proceeded to get two speeding tickets in the car, but hey, good times right!

·
Registered
2011 Shelby GT500
22 Posts
Hahaha, it's funny how the real keepers support you so much.

Looking forward to seeing pictures! Glad you made it here!

My mother did that with my father when the mach 1s came out in 03. Fresh mach 1 sitting in the showroom and my mom spotted it, organized financing and everything. Ive never seen my dad cry until he got that thing he was so happy. He has babied it to this day and it has less miles than my shelby.

The only thing for your seats that I can recommend is find a reputable upholstery shop. It needs to be fixed right and anything a non experienced person would do would be temporary or non aesthetically pleasing 🤣 most times they are willing to do something especially with the economic climate.

Edit: thank you for your service

·
#1 Mike!
2019 Shelby GT350
8,715 Posts
Welcome to the sight and we appreciate your military service! You must be a sucker for punishment going into LE these days. Glad that's behind me! There are lots of modifications you can install to make the car unique for your tastes. There are many folks on the forum who are more than happy to suggest ways in which to spend you money! I still have a soft sport for the earlier Mustangs that you mentioned. Simplicity and parts availability are big pluses!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks 03reptile! As far as LE goes, when I retired from the military, I was only 39 years old and still felt young which is why I jumped into Law Enforcement. And things have changed an awful lot in the short time I've been doing it. (About 10 yrs.) I will say if I wasn't a Detective now, there's no way I could work patrol!!

And I know there are many people on here that can suggest ways for me to spend money. It's not hard at all! I'm looking at having to spend money now just to house it. Since I was'nt planning on buying another car, I just had my two car shop. Now with this third car, I'm scrambling trying to find someone to come out and extend my shop becuase right now, I have my '66 sitting outside under a car cover. Every time I walk by the window and see it sitting outside, I cringe. Lol!! And with the price of lumber these days, every quote I've gotten is almost as much as I paid to have my whole shop built.

·
Registered
2008 Shelby GT500
549 Posts
I can completely relate to what you saw under the hood. I've had my '64.5 since 1986, and it was a shock to look under the hood of the '08 I got in Jan. I'm still trying to figure out what half the stuff is.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one. I'm a complete newbie with all the new stuff. Last month I was working on swapping out a out a C4 transmission with a 4R70W, and now I'm just trying to learn about this Tremec 6-speed. When I read Maury T's post about liking the 197s, I had to look up which Mustangs were classified as a 197. My wife walked out to my shop yesterday and told me that it looked like I was doing more head scratching than wrench turning! She wasn't lying! But I'll get there. I may not now a lot about it now, but it's fun to drive!!

·
Registered
2011 Shelby GT500
22 Posts
If you need any help, this forum has been phenomenal for info.

I have owned several S197 GT's and have a lot of experience with the platform. The 2011 GT500 uses a similar block as well. PM me anytime if you need anything

1 - 18 of 18 Posts