Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,
On week 2 of my Tungsten GT500. Sold a C6 Z06 to start a new project.

I'm enjoying the car, but can't wait to kill the rear end cowl shaky, axle hoppy, dance and shake like a New York City taxi with 200k miles feel! (no offense to anyone)

I made a bold move, and ordered the Griggs GR40SS kit which should make things firmer and planted to say the least.

I'll follow up with pulleys, intake tune, but in the mean time, I'll enjoy the Flowmasters a buddy passed along. I have to say, starting a GT500 with Flowmasters is simply awe inspiring! Questionably better than the Z06 if you ask me.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Welcome, and glad to hear we have had another person that has gotten saved!!!!!! From Chevy to Ford just makes me proud..... As you can tell i'm true blue. Good luck on the upgrades.

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
welcome....I"m new too and am learning thanks to these forums. So far I've learned:
(1)don't make any performance changes to it until you get the transmission TSB done
(2) make sure you get the TSB done before you get enough miles on it for them to claim its "normal wear"
(3) a few starts in second gear might get that flywheel warped earlier so you can get it replaced under warranty
(4) after that mod away and have fun
(5) using a lowering kit seems to eliminate the wheel hop
And most important of all I've learned that there are a lot of really helpfull, dedicated and knowlegable people using this site, feel free to ask questions and they will help you without flaming you (unlike some Camaro sites)

·
Registered
300 Posts
First, there is no transmission TSB

Second, the tsb you are likely referring to is for the flywheel warpage. If so, why should he persue getting work done to repair a problem he does not have?

Its advise like this that makes it more difficult for those that actually NEED the repair to get it.

Just put 4:10 gears in the car...you may never have clutch flywheel warpage.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Welcome aboard Wolf, lots of good things here to share!

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
First, there is no transmission TSB

Second, the tsb you are likely referring to is for the flywheel warpage. If so, why should he persue getting work done to repair a problem he does not have?

Its advise like this that makes it more difficult for those that actually NEED the repair to get it.

Just put 4:10 gears in the car...you may never have clutch flywheel warpage.

You are correct, it is a TB not a TSB (my error). The problem is that if you drive in the country a lot odds are it won't warp until much later in your warranty period, or even after. And if you garage it a lot and only put low miles on it, it will warp after the warranty expires. If you drive a lot in city driving it will warp sooner and within a short time frame such that the dealer will repair it no questions asked. I ran into a guy at the dealer last week with a 2008 who has 18,000 miles on his, and the dealer refused to cover it saying that it was "normal wear". He fortunately has a connection higher up at Ford (which I do not) who told the dealer to cover it. His was slipping in every gear, and it took out his 2nd gear synchro too. I'll probably only have 10,000 miles on my car when the 3 year warranty expires...so why should I be on the hook for a $3000 repair on an items that is well known for failure to the point that Ford had to put out a TB and provide upgraded parts? Additionally, my resale will be crap because the update was not done to it, and a buyer will be afraid of having to do the upgrade out of his own pocket at a future date.
This whole issue is not only spoken about on these forums, its the big subject at the cruise nights and car shows too. Everyone is well aware of it. When the dealer is giving a customer a rough time over such a warranty repair only because the owner drove it normally, without abuse, and made it last longer than some other customers did he should be commended for taking care of the car....not told he will have to pay for it out of his own pocket because he made it last too long.
I only have 1300 miles on my car. I don't drive it to work...so you can see why my opinion on this might be interpreted as biased in a different direction than yours $$$$$$. If they would give me the parts to keep on hand I'd fix it myself after the warranty expires, but we know there is no chance of that happening.
And yes, I agree that a 4.10 gear would probably solve the problem early, and even a 3.73 might do it. But I doubt that the dealer would foot the bill for that either!

·
Registered
300 Posts
It is NOT a forgone conclusion that ALL GT500s will experience a warped flywheel. There are many high milage GT500s with the original clutch. Some well of 80k miles.

The fellow you spoke of in the dealership may not have had the TSB problem at all. A worn out and slipping clutch is NOT covered under the TSB. Only a warped flywheel and its direct symptoms are covered. If the guy's flywheel was not warped and it was not exhibiting the TSB symptoms, then the dealer was correct in not covering the worn out clutch under warranty as Ford would not have paid for it.

The point is, you see to feel you are entitled to repairs to fix a problem that MIGHT occur SOMEDAY. Sorry, but you are not. After the 3yr 36kmiles you are on your own. That is precisely why the warranty has both a milage limit and a time limit. Covers both cars driven alot and those not driven much. You are not entitled to more and longer warranty coverage since you do not drive your car.

Get the car out of the garage and drive it. Its not going up in value and its not getting any younger. Enjoy it while you can. Tomorrow may never come.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the input and ideas.
I'm not going to worry about something that might happen... I am going to drive and enjoy every moment. I recommend this technique. :)
I am actually getting impatient with the suspension, and how easily the car heat soaks. I can foresee a heat exchanger very soon.

Thanks,

Greg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts