Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need the name of a high quality shop in ct to swap out rear gears. Want it done once and right. Cobra Automotive in Wallingford backed up several weeks but willing to wait if need.

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
Not sure but don't rush, wait for the right place and make sure you run the '13-14 specific large pinion bearing.
-J

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Hey Dually...I don't have a place in mind, but I would look for an old school type speed shop. B&M Performance in Branford might be able to point you in the right direction. I'm familiar with Cobra Automotive, but I thought they focused on restorations more than upgrades.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Went to CobraAutomotive in Wallingford. Took 4 weeks but that was my fault as I just dropped off. I provided gear set and inner and outer pinion bearing. Although I have just gotten back in car the work they did was quality. Replaced crush sleeve with a precision machined bushing like they use in 9" along with ARP ring gear bolts. Pattern on gears perfect. Obvious by cars inside a very high end race shop. Price was reasonable and they were good to deal with. Dropping off center section in my IRS cobra roadster for an upgrade to 3:73 as soon as I can get it out.

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
Good deal…glad you're happy! I always check them out through the trees as I drive down the Merritt. After your visit, how would you categorize Cobra Automotive? A restoration shop or a speed shop. The website shows a lot of classic Shelby's, and I really had the impression they focused on restorations. But after your experience, was it mostly older cars or newer cars? Do they do much with the late model GT500's?

I've got a local place for bodywork, but I need to find a place for stereo work and a place for performance modifications that are beyond my meager time and skills. This might fit the bill.

Do you use a Ford dealership in the area?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts