Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I heard there is a new Ford Racing GT500 Supercharger now available that gets you to just over 600 HP. It comes with a 1 year/12,000 mile drivetrain warranty if installed by a Ford dealer. Its available from Roush so the quality and performance must be there. Anyone considering this Mod?

·
Registered
861 Posts
they are probably talking about 600hp at the crank. and you can achieve that with pulley cai and tune.

JJ

·
Registered
888 Posts
Yesterday I heard there is a new Ford Racing GT500 Supercharger now available that gets you to just over 600 HP. It comes with a 1 year/12,000 mile drivetrain warranty if installed by a Ford dealer. Its available from Roush so the quality and performance must be there. Anyone considering this Mod?
I'm pretty sure this is the RoushCharger Kit that sells for around $5600 and results in 100-120 hp. I really wanted it early on, but the cost was excessive IMO.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I'm pretty sure this is the RoushCharger Kit that sells for around $5600 and results in 100-120 hp. I really wanted it early on, but the cost was excessive IMO.
Ditto!

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts

You get everything:rolleyes: ;) Just buy it:cool:

·
Registered
933 Posts
Welcome to the forum 'getgoose'!

Like the others have already said, you can get that HP increase easily enough for a lot less money.

:D

·
Registered
861 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've heard that existing Eaton blower is maxed out and that adding a smaller pulley will give an initial jump in HP but the higher heat generated by running with the smaller pulley will actually result in lower HP after the first couple runs on the dyno - So the Ford blower may be the better way to go in the long run since the CAI and tune comes with the kit and the blower can handle more than the existing one. Plus the warranty is a bonus right?

·
Registered
888 Posts
I've heard that existing Eaton blower is maxed out and that adding a smaller pulley will give an initial jump in HP but the higher heat generated by running with the smaller pulley will actually result in lower HP after the first couple runs on the dyno - So the Ford blower may be the better way to go in the long run since the CAI and tune comes with the kit and the blower can handle more than the existing one. Plus the warranty is a bonus right?
I hadn't heard of the drop in HP after x-amount of dyno runs before. As for the Roush SC kit, when I first spoke to the Roush rep some time ago, he told me there would be a 3-year, 36k mile warranty. So, they have changed their minds on that, but did not reflect it in the price. If the price was not an issue, I would like this SC kit myself! They just made it too expensive IMO.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wonder if Ford had something to do with the warranty decision since its a Ford branded kit and they are handling the warranty. I understand your point on the price though.

·
Registered
888 Posts
I wonder if Ford had something to do with the warranty decision since its a Ford branded kit and they are handling the warranty. I understand your point on the price though.
When I spoke to the Roush guy, he told me that they were making a decision as to whether the kit would be offered as a Roush or Ford Racing kit. It appears they decided to offer both of them.

I think very highly of Roush stuff, but they are very proud of their stuff and price it accordingly.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I have a Roush F150, and I can say their service leaves a lot to be desired. The Roush reflash on the ECM basically sucked, it was in and out of overdrive all the time at highway speeds. It also had the 100MPH speed limiter still in place when returned to me, they refused to even talk about changing that, and I wound up spending an additional 500.00 for a custom tune by Mike at Troyer Performance. Thre are sevaral folks out there that can add 100RWHP to your Shelby for less than 1K. Lidio at Alternative automotive concepts is top rate on any Ford product, he works closely with Jerry Barnes at Trilogy Motorsports who engineered and sold me the sc the kit for my '03 Mercury Marauder (tune by Lidio) . The Marauder is a 4400# sedan, and consistently runs very low 13's, and then drives home at 23 MPG. Back to the point Jack Roush needs to needs to understand that folks who spend 5K for a sc kit don't want anyone to be pulling back on the reigns for them.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
If you're going to replace the Supercharger, why not get a Kenne Bell? We should make a poll on what superchargers are being used:

stock
Pulley swap
KB
Roush
Ford Racing(These last two are the same thing but with diff labels?)

I'd really be curious but expect most are stock, the rest are pulley swaps, and a few have a non-stock SC (probably most of these are KB but just a guess).
Warranty is nice touch (particularly after seeing the KB stage 3 shattered trans photos). Though I am starting to think about going with a KB.... Wonder how loud it is driving around town though... videos I've seen it sounds pretty darn loud from INSIDE the car...

I think the FORD RACING SC is the same that goes on the Supersnake far as I can tell.

TD

·
Registered
373 Posts
TD
don't forget Whipple =D

·
Registered
2,400 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
I agree, the Kenne Bell is the choice. The Eaton blowers have been problem free for me, but the Roush version on my F150 after the novelty of having my first sc is very loud. The "Trilogy" version is a far superior piece of engineering work (Thank you Jerry Barnes)than the Roush package will ever hope to be. The Stage 3 kenne Bell kit while a bit louder than the stock Eaton on the GT500 makes the kids from 6 to 80 smile, and makes those folks who spent 20k more on a Z06 wanting to spend some more.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Every time I read these kind of post I get a mental image of an addict slumped in a chair with a needle stuck in his arm. After years of chasing adrenaline rushes with fast cars, it is a journey with no end. That's fine for people who understand what the trip is about but too often I see people on here bashing Ford for these cars not meeting their wildly unrealistic expectations when catastrophic failures occur. Even simple things like wheel hop have been the subject of rants as to why Ford doesn't fix it as a warranty problem.
Very few cars come from the factory with the level of performance the GT500 has and the fun factor is at the top of the scale. I guess I have traveled too far on this journey for more speed to want to remove a perfectly good supercharger and replace it buy spending thousands more on another one.
Guys it doesn't stop there. There will be clutch issues, transmission issues, rear end issues, suspension issues, drive-shaft issues and tire issues. Today is a beautiful day over most of the country so I would suggest you get in this wonderful car and go have some fun without spending any more money except for gas. Thanks for enduring my rant.:D

·
Registered
373 Posts
Good rant txlaw =)
and I agree, i plan on driving my baby all weekend as it is supposed to be nice and with snow predicted for next week :( looks like it's my last chance to tear it up!!

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Every time I read these kind of post I get a mental image of an addict slumped in a chair with a needle stuck in his arm. After years of chasing adrenaline rushes with fast cars, it is a journey with no end. That's fine for people who understand what the trip is about but too often I see people on here bashing Ford for these cars not meeting their wildly unrealistic expectations when catastrophic failures occur. Even simple things like wheel hop have been the subject of rants as to why Ford doesn't fix it as a warranty problem.
Very few cars come from the factory with the level of performance the GT500 has and the fun factor is at the top of the scale. I guess I have traveled too far on this journey for more speed to want to remove a perfectly good supercharger and replace it buy spending thousands more on another one.
Guys it doesn't stop there. There will be clutch issues, transmission issues, rear end issues, suspension issues, drive-shaft issues and tire issues. Today is a beautiful day over most of the country so I would suggest you get in this wonderful car and go have some fun without spending any more money except for gas. Thanks for enduring my rant.:D
I agree with you txlaw. It never ends. I know I'll never bash Ford for any perceived shortcomings with this car. They produced a great car at a reasonable price.

I, like many others, make the changes to the car that I think are important to me and personalize it the way I want and drive it.

I'm going to leave the issue to collectibilty to others and keep all the stock parts to put it back to original if I or the next owner sees fit.

Your right, it looks like it will be a beautiful weekend over much of the country. Lets get out and enjoy these great cars.:)

Cal

1 - 20 of 23 Posts