Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I took off the Ford Racing bullet mufflers (Stingers) and had a new exhuast system put on the car a few weeks ago and I need to change the mufflers. I put on the JBA 3inch no cats, and the rest is 3 inch stainless with flowmasters out back. Car sounds great at a drag strip but the flowmasters have a tinny sound to them and I notice when I back off of it sometimes will slightly back fire. Having no CATs is what really has made this thing loud, I would have never thought that but it is. So my question is for anyone that has done the no cat approach what muffler have you gone with to keep the car at a reasonable sound level. If you have a sound clip or could point me to it that would be great. I don't care how lound it is at WOT but normal driving through town, I get some looks and that is not always good when I go past cops I push in the clutch so they don't hear it. :( That is a pain also.

So if anyone has any suggestions would love to hear them. I was thinking about MagnaFlow mufflers only because I understand they have some packing in them where the flowmasters don't they just redirect the sound waves. Or maybe the Ford Racing big body mufflers ?

·
Premium Member
1,251 Posts
Well I took off the Ford Racing bullet mufflers (Stingers) and had a new exhuast system put on the car a few weeks ago and I need to change the mufflers. I put on the JBA 3inch no cats, and the rest is 3 inch stainless with flowmasters out back. Car sounds great at a drag strip but the flowmasters have a tinny sound to them and I notice when I back off of it sometimes will slightly back fire. Having no CATs is what really has made this thing loud, I would have never thought that but it is. So my question is for anyone that has done the no cat approach what muffler have you gone with to keep the car at a reasonable sound level. If you have a sound clip or could point me to it that would be great. I don't care how lound it is at WOT but normal driving through town, I get some looks and that is not always good when I go past cops I push in the clutch so they don't hear it. :( That is a pain also.

So if anyone has any suggestions would love to hear them. I was thinking about MagnaFlow mufflers only because I understand they have some packing in them where the flowmasters don't they just redirect the sound waves. Or maybe the Ford Racing big body mufflers ?
Sounds like the Bassani's I have for sale may be what you are looking for. I wish you were close, we could slap them on for a try.

Cal

·
Registered
240 Posts
I had the borla stingers when the rest of my exhaust was stock and I liked that combo even though there was some drone. I changed mine out to AR full headers, cat delete, 2.5 inch back and kept the borlas and it was WAY TOO LOUD! I ended up pulling the borlas off and putting my stock mufflers on which actually sounds pretty good. I will change out the exhaust to full 3 inch all the way back at some point. Not sure about mufflers I will go with. I am interested in what you decide!

·
Registered
17 Posts

Busababy, did you buy the Mustang GT flowmasters? If so did they fit on with no problems?
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Stingers with out the Cats are way to loud. The flowmaster is a bit loud also. I don't know which flowmasters were installed everything except for the JBA X pipe was done from a custom exhaust shop. I think the flowmasters are 40 Series and they were for the GT500 because the installer said everything installed using factory mounts.

If anyone is interested I have the Stingers for sale for $ 100.00 plus shipping. PM me if interested.

I think I will try Magnaflow next, giving them a call now.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm going through the same thing with my Stainless Works axle backs, way to tinny sounding in the sweet spot. The car sounds great at wide open or below 2500rpm. I went through this on a heavily modded 03 gt, and after 3 different sets of mufflers, the Magnaflow's were the only ones that I could stand. Let us know how you come out and I will do the same.

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I told the exhaust shop to order the mufflers so we will wait and see what this sounds like. Need to get resolved because next year getting long tube headers and that will only make matters worst. On my other vehicle I had flowmaster muffler and just got tired of the sound, so switched to Magnaflow and what a world of difference, at idle and normal driving it was fine but give it a little gas and look out :) The whole deal is not having CATS that increase the sound about 200%. I know people will tell you that CATS don't restrict that much but I am here to tell you they do. I notice the car had more throttle response without them, and my ass dyno say it runs better :)

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have a set of Magnaflows for sale right now at a good price. They have been on my car for only 4 days. I just worked a deal on a set of KR axle-backs so I don't need them.

They give a deep, throaty sound with NO raspy note. They are not loud, but with your other exhaust upgrades they should perk up a little bit.

LMK if you want them.

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
:cheers: Borla axlebacks, stock system......... Beautiful sound. Get a lot of comments on how My Baby Prrrrrssssssssss. And growls...... Sweet.....:cheers: :cheers:

·
Premium Member
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The shop ordered me the oval mufflers. The round mufflers will not quite it down enought. If I still had the cats on I would be fine but this car has a completely different sound with out CATS meaning it is allot louder. And not in a good way. There for you need more muffler mass to quite it down a bit. Magnaflow has a straight thru design but the tube inside the muffler that connects the inlet and outlet together has a bunch of holes punched through it and than has the packing wrapped around it. This keeps it a under control during normal driving, but when you stand on it the design is still straight thru so you will hear it for sure. Hopefully can get them installed next weekend if weather is nice....won't take it to the shop in the rain you know :) When ever it gets done I will post a sound clip on you tube.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts