Ford Shelby GT500 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
I think I'd go with these for stock replacement. While the other set would probably bolt on, you don't know who manufacturers them or if all components are GT500 spec or not. Based on the price, I'd pass. If you had a V-6, I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Moderator/Admin Dude!
2020 Rapid Red/black 2011 Kona Blue/white
30,388 Posts

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
Ford Racing (now Ford Performance) made a direct replacement that were the oem install for the GT500, supposedly the GT500 has lower friction ball joints (if I remember correctly). The difference in the years for ball joints is the 18mm for the earlier cars and 19mm for the later cars, I think 2010 to 2011 was the divide for that change? Of course the spindle hole is sized accordingly for 18mm or 19mm ball joint and some have been able to spread the spindle hole on their earlier car to accept the newer 19mm ball joint.

Actual control arm design has also changed. The oem arms on my 2008 are a 1pc. cast looking design, shown below is a newer updated 18mm version with the 2 piece arm design that Ford changed to.....also around 2011...................

A closer look at the welded 2pc. design......

If you are shopping for these arm assy's, there is also something else to look for, drilled tabs for the heat shields that were part of a Ford TSB for these arms. The heat from the manifolds can cause the large bushing to squeak, these shield kits help to block the heat and extent the life of those large control arm bushings located at the rear of each arm.

The pre-drilled tabs for the heat shield kit.......

The heat shield as it would attach (Right side shown).....

Some of these arm kits from Ford Racing have the old design 1pc. arms, some have tabs that are not drilled, some have no heat shield mounting tabs at all, so you have to search and ask questions when buying and not just rely on a picture.

My original 2008 arms are the 1pc. design with tabs, but they are not drilled for the shield install.

R

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
The change in ball joint diameter is sometime during 2010. I think you can drill the ball joint recess in the spindle to adapt the later arms. You can also change the spindle to the later model.

·
Registered
4,362 Posts
The change in ball joint diameter is sometime during 2010. I think you can drill the ball joint recess in the spindle to adapt the later arms. You can also change the spindle to the later model.
Cat - I have not taken the plastic shipping protector off of these ball joints, is the spindle attachment straight, for a drill bit pass? or is it tapered like the ball joints from the old days?

R

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
If it has any taper, I didn't notice it, but I did not take any measurements either, but I sort of doubt it based on the design. Information on Steeda's website indicate you use a regular drill bit to open up the recess, but I don't know what size drill bit is used. Steeda apparently provides the drill bit in their later LCA set with poly bushings in a stock arm.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts